Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin Electric ball return motors

I have had three Franklin Electric motors fail in under a year and a half in my centre.
    The problem is that the motor will struggle to start, and eventually when it starts, it will run backward and causes an underground. Have to jump start the motor to get it to run in the correct direction. (use red V wheel to save danger to fingers)
    We have these motors in our top ball returns, which are PROfile ball lifts.

What is the main cause of this?
    Is there a way to fix these particular motors myself?
    Have been told that when you try and repair them, you can end up breaking them 9 out of 10 times!
    This is getting pritty costly to buy new motors and in such a short space of time. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
    Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Re: Franklin Electric ball return motors

yes. this is i think a board fault on the board in the motor. i cannot remember all the answers here, but because they are electric start, i remember something about this, and others had a switch problem.there was a time when you could reverse the run but i have lost all my notes on this.
    sorry.
    maister

Comment

Alastair,

Sounds to me like the contacts for the centrifugal switch are not making good contact. I would think the centrifugal mechanism might be ok. If it were bad, I would think the motor would make a grinding noise (or run very hot) once it did kick in (regardless of direction). Not for sure though.

One thing I noticed, when I ordered a replacement motor (from AMF) for my C-90, they sent me a Franklin that has no capacitor. This indicates to me that these are split phase. The original motors (Baldor) are capacitor start, which has a bunch more starting torque than a split phase. Been running the originals for over 10 years and only had one fail just recently. Repaired it and reinstalled. I’m a little wary of installing the Franklin since they have a poor track record with me and their BE motors.

If it were me, I would start replacing these Franklins with another type (capacitor start/induction run) and manufacture as they go out. You might be able to find these motors at an industrial supply house. Here in the USA, we have Grainger and they can most likely match it up.

In the mean time, you can try filing the switch contacts and clean the mechanism, or better yet replace the switch and mechanism with a solid state start switch. I don’t know if this is even possible with a split phase motor, so you might ask around to see.

Triac

Comment

I don't know how many of you guys have ever seen this, but if you have a dual voltage motor that is factory wired for 220, and hook it to 115, it will appear to start and run fine. Some of them will even have enough guts to bring up a single ball in a power lift. Probably not his case in Scotland.
        Long shot, but if it is a dual voltage motor, check the wires with the name plate diagram. Make sure the name plate voltage and cycles are what you are giving it.
        Make sure the HP rating is the same as the original.
        This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
        Working...
        X