Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motors

A friend of mine at a eight lane center is looking to purchase new gearboxes and motors for his pinsetters. He called me to see what I thought was the best out there. I figured I would ask here. I have the xl upgrade and like the franklin motors but the hub geaboxes for the back end had a leaking problem. Have had no problems with the combos. He has g.e. motors and gearboxes now that are in bad shape and wants to replace them. He wants new so used is not an option. Rebuilding is not what he wants either. So any opinions on vantage or other motor/gearbox for 82-70 ?

Re: motors

to bad he dont want used.........I have 5 or 6 gear boxes I'd sell. Or trade for for motors.
    Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

Nationals. They dont make them anymore and can be hard to come-by but they are real workhorses.

Comment

I will definately second what Clutch Plate just said.

The backends run around 105 degrees to 120 degrees.

Even the coolest running Westinghouse can't do that.
        Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

I will third what Clutch said. Love my Nat’s…Most of them been going strong for over 30 years.

Biggest problem with the replacement (BE) Franklins is that the end plates wear out in about a year. In addition, the kicker is…you can’t get the opposite shaft end plate. I guess they expect you to buy a new motor to replace the replacement. I wont order them anymore. I guess I’ll have to take the end plates to a machine shop and have them sleeved and the rotors balanced.

Next problem with Franklins, is the electrical plug and access plate is very flimsy. Few pileups and you got yourself twisted metal and a fireworks show.

Triac

Comment

Nationals were the best and probably they stopped making them because they were so good.Westinghouse are hot runners but probably one of the best out there of the rest but not a patch on nationals.
            Good luck.
            maister

Comment

Nationals rock, and dont forget that JCP machines much of the gearing brand new. Expensive, but just what you need to get another 20 out of your boxes.
              The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

As I stated in a different post that my previous employer had were true Nationals except for the ones that had been gone thru and a Sterns ss installed to make it reversible. On these, the air baffle was removed and they ran hotter than hell. So hot that it was painful to hold your hand on it. I put a baffle in and it ran incredibly cooler. You could actually feel the air as it passed thru the stator and out the end bell. Well, I did question this and was told that if the mechanic was not carefull when it was re-assembled that it could get pinched and cause the fan blades to rub or whatever. I can't remember exactly what was said. To my way of thinking, if this is a problem, than he/she has no business working on machines. I welcome feedback on this and tell me if i'm wrong. Bill
                Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Im sure Vantage makes a good gearbox for nationals, but thei replacement motorhead is sub bar.

as far as motor heads go. i like Quality's motors. tho you'll need to find gearboxes. only prob ive noticed with the combos is they dont seem to run even with a Quality SSSS. ive tried on two seprerate motors, cant get it to work. If anyone knows the trick to it let me know.

Comment

Bruns, I agree with you. They are a bit tricky to put back together, but once you do a few, its no problem. They are (obviously) there for a reason. Ilike nationals on the electric side...WAY easy to wirk on. I like there longevily, but I am always worried about something that parts are hard to find for. Westinghouse and GE has an extreamly easy gearbox assembly, but GE is in the same boat as nationals as far as finding parts. Havent had much experience with the aftermarket, other than a replacment here or there.

Basicly I would shoose Westinghouse, myself, but the only reasoning is that parts are redily found, and I have worked on them for 16+ years, and can deal easily with them. I know, however, that I will be in the minority here....lol

JMO

Paul

Comment

I learned something recently that maybe you know already, but maybe not...
                      My buddy collects old transistor radios. I was at his house and noticed the same triangle logo on the Matsu****as, Nationals, National-Panasonics, and Panasonics. He said they started branding differently in the late 60's, kind of similar to the way that Datsun cars became Nissans in the early 80's.
                      I always wondered why they were called "National" motors when they say "Matsu****a" on them, and now I know, and now you do too... unless you did already, and you're saying, "well no ****." Personally, I prefer to call them "Matsu****as" just because I get to say/write "****" every time I mention them.
                      Matsu****aMatsu****aMatsu****aMatsu****aMatsu****a !

Comment

I must agree with the masses here, we have 64 lanes worth of nationals, they really are great. The Franklins aren't too bad but as mentioned they do have flaws... Love my nationals [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                        All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Originally posted by Coors:
                          i like Quality's motors. tho you'll need to find gearboxes. only prob ive noticed with the combos is they dont seem to run even with a Quality SSSS. ive tried on two seprerate motors, cant get it to work. If anyone knows the trick to it let me know.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you talking about the Quality replacements for the National Combos?

I have never tried a Quality SSSS on a Quality replacement but they do have directions for the Quality motor and National motor. Were you following the directions to the National motor instead of the Quality? Or Maybe your got the BE SSSS instead of the Combo SSSS.

I do know that the AMF (orange canister) SSSS will work on a Quality Combo replacement for Nationals.

Triac

Comment

westinghouse are the best they are easy to service and have a lower failure ratio than other motors on the market!!! My machines all have westinghouse and hardly have any problems.no coasting either
                            DEFINITION OF MANAGER IN THE 21ST CENTURY: (ADULT BABYSITTER)

Comment

Nationals, None Better, None More Durable, Nuff Said

Chappy

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X