Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Adjustments

I know that this is probably a basic adjustment, but I've been having a bit of trouble with Lane 17's distributor lately. The Head Mechanic is on holidays, so I've gotta make sure everything is running smoothly.

It had one of those stupid Super Clutches on it, so i canned it and replaced it with one of the Old-Style clutches. Adjusted the clutch and ran it on continuous cycle for ages (while I replaced an x-frame on lane 11 ) and didn't have one pin out of place. This was yesterday day shift, and the pinchasers that have been on since have said they've had nothing but pin piles.

One thing I did noticed when I changed the clutch was the clutch was sitting very low on the stop blade, causing the clutch to have to travel further in order to actuate. This seems to cause the distributor to have trouble actuating, especially after delivering the 9-pin. I've done eccentric and concentric bearing adjustments before, but I've never quite "understood" them.

Is this what I have to do to solve the problem (lowering the stop blade) or would it be something else? I know that sometimes the trip rod support assy can bend causing the stop blade to sit high or low on the clutch, but I've checked this and it looks fine.

Re: Distributor Adjustments

There will be a cord or rod running from the left indexing finger to the link that actuates the trip rod assembly. Lengthening and shortening this rod/cord will change the position of the blades on the trip arm in relation to the clutch stop. You can usually find a pretty happy medium fiddling with this. Sometimes , even after a sweet install, a new clutch will need a wee bit of tweakin the next day. Verify your drive shaft isnt bent badly, and as far as the eccentric/concentric question, these are to insure parallel travel between tubes as it comes back to the back row.

please forgive my lack of technically correct part names. i never have a parts book in front of me when i post, so i often come across as uneducated. 'Round these parts, we call stuff thingees and dipsmacks and doo dads, and we all know what we mean. So fiddle with the thingee til it goes kerchunk against the flapper.
    The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

I have a carraige to adjust today as a matter of fact. At the head pin position check your stop blades, if they're lined up then push the dist. all the way back, if the stop blades are high in the back then the carraige needs adjustment (via the eccentric rollers). The tube and the triprod (we call it a triprod I forget what AMF calls it in the book... the doohicky the stop blades are bolted to :p ) they should be completely parrallel. If ya can't get them parrallel then the tube is probably bent, but it shouldn't be that big a deal as long as it's not bent too too much and the stop blades dont move much.
      All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

First thing you need to do is to remove your trip cable (or rod) then look and see if your stop blades are aligned, if not take a pair of channel lock pliers and bend bracket 070-006-084 until blades align. This means where the lower stop blade and the blade on rear clutch plate are equal. Remember that the trip cable is not designed to adjust stop blades.

Next thing is to put trip cable back on and adjust the length until the two little white rollers that are on bracket 070-006-661 are on either side of trip rod, they should not touch rod. Make this adjustment with to trip cable with dist fully out at head pin position.

Then push dist back (make it short) and see where the two white rollers are in relation to trip rod. White rollers should not touch trip rod in any position, and this is where adjusting eccentric rollers comes into play. The front two ecc rollers are the ones you will need to adjust to make this happen.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Comment

Adjust the stop blade height by grasping the trip rod assy. in the rear with pliers, and bend the stop blade to the proper height.

Comment

a bit naughty to bend the bracket, this should be 90 degrees and there is a little adjustment on the stop blade itself to help achieve this. if the rods are not parallel then then you will find that the blade will bw higher either at the head pin or the back row of pins.
            I personally would check the tension on the trip arm by fully extending the distributor to the head pin, removing the rod or cable and pull the trip arm up and offer the cable or rod to the nipple.I always make the tension only enough to put a little pressure on the trip arm as it trips from pin to pin.Next i would pull the distributor all the way back and look at the gap between the two rods, this should be the same at the front and the back.If the gap is bigger at one end then the eccentric rolers all need to be adjusted. Loosen the top rear roller and both front ones.these are the only eccentric ones. adjust the top rear onto the rod until it just holds the carriage smoothly , then adjust the top front one and watch the carriage as you adjust this and it will move up or down, adjust until you think it is equal front and back. now adjust the bottom front roller up until it holds the carriage rod smoothly. you can get an idea if it ok by pushing the fingers down while the carriage is all the way back and then while holding them down push the stop blade and it should not bottom against back plate. repeat this test by pulling the distributor carriage all the way forward and also at the 5 pin. if it bottoms in the front or the back, this indicates the carriage is not parallel. if it bottoms at both positions adjust the stop blade up and if the play is excessive adjust the stop blade dow until there is only a little play and does not bottom.I know that people bend the bracket but it should not be necessary if it is set up properly.
            i hope this may be of help and interest to you.
            best wishes.
            maister.

Comment

To steal Kings term

FIXED [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
              Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

when we talk about bending the trip rod brackets, we dont bend them front to back but up and down so they stay at 90 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch Plate:
                  when we talk about bending the trip rod brackets, we dont bend them front to back but up and down so they stay at 90 degrees.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Correct.

Comment

I usually get hired to work behind you guys, have been for most of my life. There isn't much you can't bend, twist, tweak or break that I cannot fix properly. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Just thought I'd throw that in there. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Bet you never fixed my fix...lol been bending for 17 years now. Works great. I also have had to shim, weld, glue, tape, and many other "thinking outside the box" repairs that AMF never thought of 30 some odd years ago when they wrote that book that dosent take into any account of things such as wear, sanding, new materials, new chemicals, etc.....

JMO

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Stalker:
                        I usually get hired to work behind you guys, have been for most of my life. There isn't much you can't bend, twist, tweak or break that I cannot fix properly. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Just thought I'd throw that in there. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Come on mike, Once the stop blades are aligned by tweaking the bracket, its done! You dont have to retweak it unless you replace the rear clutch plate. And thats only if the new rear clutch plate is a bit different.

All Im doing is sharing 19 years of experience. I would never lead someone in the wrong direction. I mean I dont call myself Clutch Plate for nothing.

Mike I am not sure how you align your stop blades but its not to be done by the trip cable. The only thing the trip cable adjusts is where the two small white rollers sit in relation to trip rod.

If anyone needs help with dist problems feel free to call me. M-F 5pm-1am 530-662-1014

Mike

Comment

I agree, I did a ton of dist work on 15 today, changed and adjusted everything but the kitchen sink. After all was done and the stop blade didn't line up *BEND* fixed [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                          All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

I disagree that bending is the solution. I used to bend, grind and shim in this area many years ago when I thought I knew the distributor. But in reality, it was only a band-aid that would lead to more problems down the road. The higher lineage the house the faster these other problems would creep up.

Mike Stalker &amp; maister are spot on.

Triac

P.S. Flame suit on… because I know you guys are going read into this that Mike Stalker, maister and myself know all about the distributor because we can line up the stop blades without bending. I can’t speak for these two guys, but I am still a student of this fascinating apparatus after 30 years.

Comment

TRIAC YOU BLANKITY BLANK BLEEP BOOOOP HOW YOU FRZZING KNOW FRIPFRAP ABOUT

just kidding man, i always look forward to your posts
                              The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X