Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Clutch Chatter

What causes the distributor clutch to chatter (vibrate) in certain positions? I have only 2 weeks of AMF training and the mechanic who helps me forgot what causes this.
    Well we're safe for now. Thank God we're in a Bowling Center.

Re: Distributor Clutch Chatter

Chattering is a problem inherent to female clutches... Zing!

May have bent distributor shaft, maybe clutch way too tight ( is it hot ? )..... When i get fussy clutches , i take ten minutes and pull em off, clean the crap out of em, make sure the guy before me didnt miss the timing mark by a notch and throw it back on. 9 out of 10 times, this clears whatever is was up. Good luck and high scores.
    The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

Dirty clutch that has most likely had the friction disk that scored the frictions plates. It will probably need new plates and a disk.

Also, will probably need the pinion gear bushing and sleeve to be cleaned and lubed. You will want to inspect the bushing in the pinion gear to make sure that the flange of the bushing is not to thin. Just look at the thickness of a new bushing to determine the wear on the one you pulled.

Triac

Comment

The guys are on top of this one... as said, a dirty clutch or bent plates is the usual cause of clutch chatter.

Triac also touched on something... the pinion and thrust washer is actually where the buzzing of the clutch comes from. If you have one chattering during a league, you can put a DROP (and I mean JUST A DROP!) of light oil on the split where the thrust washer and pinion come together... something like 3-in-1 is best... WD40 is a bit too light, but will work OK. It'll stop it chattering and acting up until bowling is over and it can be cleaned.

As an aside, our former mechanic came across something that pretty much eliminated bind and chatter... we've been doing it for years, and it really works: Take a proshop ball knife (triangle-shaped scraper), a round file, or (carefully!) a pocket knife, and trim the inner edge of the pinion bushing and the steel thrust washer so it has a bit of a taper where they meet, and use a little sandpaper to take the hard edge off the tips of the steel sleeve. It doesn't need a lot. It keeps the tip of the steel sleeve from binding to the face of the bronze sleeve and scraping against the thrust washer.

We've always sanded the faces of the sleeve and thrust washer on a piece of plate steel with sandpaper glued to it, to flatten & square them, and to remove any grooves that have worn into them... it seems to help quite a bit. We had a lot of clutch problems with our machines until the old mechanic came up with a procedure of how he wanted them cleaned and rebuilt (including the above), and after we started doing that, clutch problems went way down... and clutch life between cleanings went way up. There were a lot of them that we'd pull off for schedules cleanings that were so clean they probably could have run several more months without a problem.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Well said guys, good advice!
          All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

nice one everybody, most important as well keep a good cleaning schedule and problems that may be going to arise are caught before they occur.
            maister.

Comment

a quick (and temporary) fix for the chatteris to take a papper towel and slide it up in the clutch as it rotates, cleaning some of the dust and grime off the disk. This is just to get it to stop the annoying chattering for a few hours. Make absolutly sure you go back in after the league is over and fix it correctly.

I also agree with all else that has been said on this matter. (except that I dont believe they are gender specific...lol)

I had a pinnie that was eager to help, and one night he went through and lubed all the clutch plates/friction disks with sraight 10 weight.

no more chatter!! (or anything else for that matter)

Paul

Comment

One of the best "tools" you can have in the back is a good piece of very flat 1/4" hard aluminum or a 1/8" piece of stainless steel plate that's a little wider and longer than a spotting cup.

You take it in the machine with you to check for warped cups... lay it on a cup face and 'rock' it corner-to-corner... if you can't wobble it, the cup is flat and square. If you get movement out of it, it means you have a warped cup. Much easier than removing them to check for warping.

Aside from that, it works very well to glue 2 pieces of sandpaper to one side of it with that removable glue they use for the electric pad sanders. Stick a piece of #80 grit and a piece of #120 grit to it, and you have a setup that will allow you to sand a very flat, level surface (ex: smoothing the grooves/pits out of the face of a pinion bushing, deburring the edge of the sleeve, or burnishing the outer clutch plate face).

And it's third use, use the bare flat face of it to lay your inner and outer clutch plates on it. You can check them for flat and square very similarly to how you check the cups. just try to rock them side to side on it... if you get movement, or can see gaps under the plate edge, it's warped.

It's better than a tabletop or board... it will remain very flat and will not warp or change like wood unless it's severely abused, it doesn't soak up oil and grease, cleans off easily, it won't rust / deteriorate / fray / splinter, and because it's very flat, it will give you a truer picture of flat/level than you would get from a tabletop or bench.

Lots of uses for a piece of flat metal, huh. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by TheGMan143:
                  One of the best "tools" you can have in the back is a good piece of very flat 1/4" hard aluminum or a 1/8" piece of stainless steel plate that's a little wider and longer than a spotting cup.

You take it in the machine with you to check for warped cups... lay it on a cup face and 'rock' it corner-to-corner... if you can't wobble it, the cup is flat and square. If you get movement out of it, it means you have a warped cup. Much easier than removing them to check for warping.

Aside from that, it works very well to glue 2 pieces of sandpaper to one side of it with that removable glue they use for the electric pad sanders. Stick a piece of #80 grit and a piece of #120 grit to it, and you have a setup that will allow you to sand a very flat, level surface (ex: smoothing the grooves/pits out of the face of a pinion bushing, deburring the edge of the sleeve, or burnishing the outer clutch plate face).

And it's third use, use the bare flat face of it to lay your inner and outer clutch plates on it. You can check them for flat and square very similarly to how you check the cups. just try to rock them side to side on it... if you get movement, or can see gaps under the plate edge, it's warped.

It's better than a tabletop or board... it will remain very flat and will not warp or change like wood unless it's severely abused, it doesn't soak up oil and grease, cleans off easily, it won't rust / deteriorate / fray / splinter, and because it's very flat, it will give you a truer picture of flat/level than you would get from a tabletop or bench.

Lots of uses for a piece of flat metal, huh. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I took your advice on this long ago "G" at least for the cups. One of my favorite goodies now. No pulling a cup to see if it's warped, and I didn't even use the other mods to it yet! lol Great advice as always bud! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                  All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Warped clutch plate is my say, but G beat me to it in true G form...
                    If it's just noisy and not jamming, so what? Some of my noisiest clutches have been on some of my quietest distributors, if you catch my drift.

Comment

Thanks I will go and get a peice of flat metal. I always clean and lube the pinion gear and sleeve but have overlooked the thrust bearing. On lane 5 the thrust bearing surface is scored so replaced it and the pinion gear.What is the deal with envro bushings in the pinion? Good or bad?
                      Thanks will check tuesday during league to see if chattering is gone.
                      Well we're safe for now. Thank God we're in a Bowling Center.

Comment

Originally posted by New Guy:
                        What is the deal with envro bushings in the pinion? Good or bad?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great. Wouldnt want any other. I didnt care for the Enviro Stop blades. the friction disc, eh, pretty to look at, but dont see the hype, i just use the old friction discs

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                        Working...
                        X