Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which distributor design?

I see many posts about distributor issues on this board. I was wondering, out of pure curiosity...In your opinion which is (was) the better distributor design...the 82/30 or the 82/70? I never worked on a 82/30, but the gear track over the table seems like it was a nifty idea.

Re: Which distributor design?

To be honest they both have good design quality's And they both have dang near the same pin orientation. Dont know as I'd say either one was really better.
    Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

Originally posted by old-school-mechanic:
      To be honest they both have good design quality's And they both have dang near the same pin orientation. Dont know as I'd say either one was really better.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed

Comment

Only Benefit I can see that the 70's have over 30's is no distributor track to get hung on when teeth get worn or come off. But that doesn't mean the 70's don't have worse qualities than the 30's in certain areas, That is the only one I can think of at the moment.

Chappy

Comment

The distributors should use a pair of step motors for bin positioning, get rid of the reliance on trip cords, rods, clutch tension, etc. I will revamp the distributor as we know it, using said design, sell them, and retire before im 30. I m sure i can count on you all to buy at least one.
          The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

Originally posted by *70*PinMonkey:
            The distributors should use a pair of step motors for bin positioning, get rid of the reliance on trip cords, rods, clutch tension, etc. I will revamp the distributor as we know it, using said design, sell them, and retire before im 30. I m sure i can count on you all to buy at least one.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Knock yourself out pinmonkey. You come up with something that works. I might buy a couple dozen
            Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

There was some little German company at the trade shows that had a motor and optical sensor setup for distributor indexing, as I recall. It replaced the clutch, stop blades, etc. They also had their own gearboxes. Darned if I can remember what thier company was called.

Comment

Originally posted by Astro Starshield:
                There was some little German company at the trade shows that had a motor and optical sensor setup for distributor indexing, as I recall. It replaced the clutch, stop blades, etc. They also had their own gearboxes. Darned if I can remember what thier company was called.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sounds like a great idea. I wonder why it never caught on? The 82/70 distributor and the Brunswick A/A2 turret seem to be one the most troublesome assemblies. Someone could make a fortune designing more reliable pin distribution. Go for it *70*PinMonkey! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

ive heard many a veteren mechs swear the 30 dist is king. ive only pinchased on 30's while in college. but, i dont get the bad hype over the 70. especially with the "Bolw-Tech Endorsed" mods, 70 dists are awesome.

with the 30's your relyin on a little railroad track to guide the dist around. dist moves up and down with the table. now i dont knock the 30 dist as it is the 70 dists grandma ya know.

way i see it. once ya understand the ups, downs, left, rights, just alot less can go wrong on a 70 dist and/or related to the distributor.

Sounds like a great idea. I wonder why it never caught on?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                  'The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain'. . . .would be my guess

Comment

Originally posted by Coors:

'The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain'
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Montgommery Scott. Star Trek III Search for Spok. In reguards to the items he removed from Excelsior's main warp drive computer!!

Any questions??

Comment

the distributor is like a woman going into menopause it is very tempermental but if ya know how to handle it,it can purr like a cat..I like the turret on the brunswick A versions the best but is has its whistles and bells as well.Hell all these machines have whistles and bells if they didnt we wouldnt have a job
                      DEFINITION OF MANAGER IN THE 21ST CENTURY: (ADULT BABYSITTER)

Comment

You forgot one... the 82-70A distributor, which was a pretty unique animal. I heard it ran pretty good, though... Can't say for sure, because I've never seen one running.

I'm partial to the '70 only because I've worked on 'em a long time... The '30 design wasn't bad, except the idea of making the driving components out of stuff like cast aluminum and nylon was a bit of mistake.

I'd like to see some sort of a "SIMPLE" design change on the '70 distributor that would remove the clutch and linkage, which is the cause of a majority of the problems. Something along the lines of the magclutch like a Brunswick uses, instead of a mechanical stop blade and linkage.
                        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

It's called a D.I.D. DISTRIBUTOR INDEXING DEVICE. At first I was a critic but since I had one at the last center I worked, it worked flawlessly. No clutch, no stop blades, no need to parallel. It easily adapts to your existing dist. Alot of centers buy one to try and buy more after it has proven itself. They are not that expensive. Great Lakes Bowling Supply sells them. 1-888-653-2695
                          Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

the one thing that a 8230 distributor had going for it, the pins couldn't roll off the sides.
                            if things aren't going right just use a bigger hammer! DIRT

Comment

I've seen 30's but never worked on them. In my mind (and others) the distributor is the weak link of a 70. However on the same note a good tech that knows them and isn't afraid to tinker and sometimes baby them a bit can have a distributor on a 70 running great. The more you're around them and the more familiar you get with them the better you can get them running. You're gonna get pin piles, it's gonna happen, but if you know your stuff it shouldn't happen too often... Just my $0.02
                              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X