X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plow covers

Discuss.

Re: Plow covers

on the large plows, they are ok. on small plows, its a ball call waiting to happen. i covered all plows here 3 1/2 years ago with old carpets, only the large remain. either the small plow cover eventually curls, catching pins, or a pin just sticks to it like glue, allowing pins to pile.

Comment

It does cut the noise down a little.I worked a center that had put a strip of old dist. belt along the bottom edge of each plow. You have to have a totally clean surface and use some 3m spray adhesive, whatever you put on there will stick a long, long time.As far as pins idle, I've pulled off more than one plow cover only to have the pins idle in the same spot.I was thinking maybe some of that expanding foam on the backs would cut down the noise a little too.

Comment

I removed all mine. Could not weld them with out starting a fire.

It may help on the noise, but once you get a full house of leagues going you won't here them anyways.

Mike
        Mike

Comment

i have used carpet for years and keep it clean. The pins keep cleaner, and pins idling, i put down to the brackets under the carpet becoming bent down, and carpets getting soft. You can see the pin falling into a hole (soft spot) and rolling round and round, but they only sit till the next pins come through.plows last longer and i use velcro (thats what its called here) fix one strip to the plow and one to the piece of carpet. Easy to remove and keep clean.It is like little hooks on tape and when pushed together they grip each other.I also use it on chassis lids, easy to remove lids and no chance of the clips falling into the chassis.worth a try and inexpensive.
          maister

Comment

We did this one time. I thought it worked pretty good. A lot of our plows were chipped and jagged edged, so it help cut down on pin damage. It also made the back-end a little less noisey. I think it also helps with preventing idling pins on the plows.

Comment

We use thin commercial carpeting sprayglued to the plow faces. Keeps the noise down, but need to be cleaned frequently to keep dirt, oil, and grime from building up and transferring on to the pins every time they touch the plow. They get cleaned with a solution of Super-Clean or White Glove and water sprayed on 'em, then drawn back out with a shop-vac, followed by clean water, and another shot of the shop-vac. Takes about 4 mins per machine to clean the covers.

I was going to try to make up some kind of velcro attachment for them, but I'm not sure it'd hold too good. Aftermarket "Plow cloths" are too thin to cut down noise... they're only supposed to help keep things clean.
              <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

We tried old carpeting, but ended up taking it all off. It only lasts a couple years and you have to change it. Too much of a hassle to me.

Pete

Comment

We got our 70's in '76 (from Japan ) and two mach.'s had plow covers. They also ran strips of thin carpeting in the pockets of the B E wheel. I left them on for awhile, but they had to be cleaned all the time. As the pieces started to peel off I removed all of the carpeting. I can't imagine trying to maintain 48 mach.'s, with extra carpeting, along with the usual maintenance.
                  &quot;Gun control is the policy of tyrants&quot;
                  Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

I'm with maister and nedap on this one, I've got one pair of lanes with Twisters on test. I fitted old dist belt on to the plows on 16 and left 15 "in the nude!" After 3 weeks there is a noticable difference in pin wear, no little nicks etc on the pins on 16. The bellys don't seem to scuff up as much either.

Not as much sound sound difference as I expected though.
                    I'm Brian and so is my wife.......

http://www.badassbowling.com

Comment

I have pondered the idea of using a spray-on bed liner product? Of course this would hamper repairs as far as welding, but if applied smooth enough it should cause no effects to the pins and supply ample sound deadening capabilities?
                      If anyone has already tried this I would love to hear your experience with it.
                      It's been awhile but I have much more to share!!!

Comment

Rhino liner would probably work OK... I think I'd do some strengthening of the welds and edges to try to avoid having to weld on it after it was applied... but it'd probably work. Dunno how long it would last with pins bouncing off it constantly.

Give 'em a call and tell them you have a great marketing idea for them. "We've coated the surfaces of this bowling machine with Rhino Liner... look at how well it holds up after six months of bowling pins crashing into it... imagine how well it'll hold up on your truck bed." Let them pay YOU to try it... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

nice idea Gman! Thanks!
                          It's been awhile but I have much more to share!!!

Comment

Bump !!

Anyone using the distributer belt idea ??

Comment

I first saw it on here a few years ago when I started out. Put it on a lane and it seemed to work great but the other mechanic (no HM at the time per se) thought it was a stupid idea and ripped it out. I forgot all about it but think I will try it out this season at my place.
                              Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X