Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin B.E. motor leaky seals fix.

Whe you change your seals on the input shaft, the caps for the distributor drive port and the carpet drive port; do not press the seal until it is flush with said items. If you do your centering the seal over the same scored shaft that caused the leak to begin with. you have a 1/4" grip range with these seals and it should give you a few replacements until you have to change the shaft assemblies. Just be careful and make sure the seal is not in cockeyed. I use a 2" flat bar to press mine in. Have never had a seal on the P.E.W shaft leak. This fix has served me well with these motors.

Be careful with the input shaft seal for you have to press it in far enough so it is around the shaft. Good luck!

Re: Franklin B.E. motor leaky seals fix.

Comment

Good tip Kingram.

I’ve applied this technique on any seal that has the shaft scored. Basically you can get twice the life out of shaft by doing this.

In addition to offsetting the seal, I also will put silicone on the outside of the seal just to give me peace of mind that the seal has less chance of popping out and making a big mess everywhere.

This method has also served me well with most motors.

Triac

Comment

If your seals have enough play in them, try this on chewed-up shafts:

Get a piece of heatshrink (plastic) tube just big enough to fit neatly over the shaft.

Shrink ONLY the end nearest to the end of the shaft with a lighter.

Oil the outside of the tube, then push the seal down over it until it's very close to where it will be seated.

Cut the shrunk part at the end of the shaft, hold the seal in place by placing your hand or fingers over it, and pull up on the tube. The tube will slip free from under the shaft and leave it where it needs to be set in place.

Toss the piece of tube.

It works good... the tubing is thin enough not to stretch the seal, but heavy enough to pull away from it without tearing, and it bridges over all the bumps and sharp edges on the shaft so the seal doesn't get a tear or a slice in it from a shaft burr.

We also use Permatex Aircraft Sealant on the gearbox inserts and sealcaps. stuff works great.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Cool, Thanks!

I haven't heard of these methods, but I do wrap teflon tape around the broaches and keyways, then like GMan said, oil and watch closely to make sure the seal doesn't fold out during pressing.

Also, I have access to an arbor press, so that makes it a much tidier affair.

On GE/WH motors, the dist. output shaft seal 022 seems to give people the most grief. I think it's because they accidentally rip it on the 621 shaft during assembly!

Kingram: Thank you very much for your many great fixes and methods. All of your thoughtfullness is appreciated! Keep 'em comin'!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
          Working...
          X