Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear box drifting

Hello,

I have a gearbox that is drifting very badly. They are the old slow style, I think National. This thing is on a sweep and man is it loose. I know there have been some threads about this before but I forgot what alll I can do.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Pat

Re: Gear box drifting

Comment

I believe Chad was referring to the carbon brushes #785-502 020. If the brake disc #785-502-003 is pitted or scored new brushes will only slightly improve braking. It is best to have the disc turned at a machine shop for $5-$10. The disc’s used to cost ~$50 but don’t show up in AMF’s or Vantage’s 2004 price book. Stahls shows them in their book, but don’t know if still available.

If problem persists with reconditioned disc and new brushes, most likely gearbox needs re-shimmed or you have something electrical (chassis contacts, capacitors, centrifugal mechanism…ect.) can cause coasting.

Triac

Comment

Oops, right you are. Two off.

Comment

Severe or "uncorrectable" drift is caused by a worn gearbox... if you can't shim the motor or put enough tension on the carbon brushes to stop the drift, it's time for a gearbox rebuild.
          Overshimming or putting extra tension on the motor isn't recommended... it'll cause a lot of unnecessary heat and wear on the motor, and will eventually burn it out.

You can cheat with gearboxes... when they get too 'loose' to hold the table from drifting, they can be moved to a sweep position, where they will usually run several more years just fine. When the sweep starts drifting, the gearbox has to be worked over. Always PERMANENTLY mark (no masking tape... paint marker or attached tag) a gearbox that was moved from table to sweep due to drifting... it'll eliminate a lot of confusion down the road when the drift starts on the sweep and everyone is scrambling to figure out why.
          <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
          Working...
          X