Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitors Blowing Up

I am having a problem with a pinsetter blowing out a sweep capacitor, I have now changed out the sweep motor(General Electric) and the machine chassis(Omega-tek upgraded five board). I am scratching my head so hard that i'm about to draw blood, if anyone has any suggestions as to what can be causing this. My last bit of info on this is that I had another machine that was blowing up caps. and found that the allen bradley contactor had lost the screw that attaches the upper contacts to the mechanism. This Chassis did have an allen bradley contactor as well.

Re: Capacitors Blowing Up

caps generally only blow up when it is tying to start and stop a motor at the same time. 99% of time its the sweep contacts in chassis, particularly if you have a certain Vendors AB contacts. only other thing i could think you'd be a dropped screw in the wireway or somethin shorting the capacitor wires. maybe the C1 plug is cracked letting wires jump current.

Comment

With the chassis & motor both being taken out of the picture. Only thing left is Wire way & C1 plug.

Start pulling the covers !!
      Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

Originally posted by GPPLmech:
        I am having a problem with a pinsetter blowing out a sweep capacitor, I have now changed out the sweep motor(General Electric) and the machine chassis(Omega-tek upgraded five board). I am scratching my head so hard that i'm about to draw blood, if anyone has any suggestions as to what can be causing this. My last bit of info on this is that I had another machine that was blowing up caps. and found that the allen bradley contactor had lost the screw that attaches the upper contacts to the mechanism. This Chassis did have an allen bradley contactor as well.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it is an AB contactor, check the screw in the lower set of contacts. If it is loose or missing your motor is trying to start/stop at the same time. I've had a few of my caps to blow for this reason.

Comment

If I read your post right......you said you switched chassis and motor ?????? Yet the problem remained with the machne ??
          Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

My first check would be the machine side C1, check for cracks as mentioned and any burned pins while you're at it
            All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Did you change both or just one cap.?somtimes the caps blow if one has gone bad and the other one takes the load of both. Then after a while it will go "Kabluoee". to check disconect the wires and grab your ohm meter, set it to the highest scale setting, it should read slowly but stedly go up to 50,000 ohm. If not you have a bad cap.
              There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

yes i go along with coors,is motor ok on another machine and is chassis good on another machine.is another chassis good on the problem machine.
                good luck.
                maister

Comment

Wound up finding a small "nut" in amongst the terminal strips to the sweep wiring. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

just to let you know. I had the same problem and it was a bad sweep reverse switch.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                    Working...
                    X