Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Spinning

Hi people,
    Its been a hell of a while since i was here last was hard to see the screen with no computer.

Well i have been having this bitch of a problem with 3 pairs of lanes with balls entering the ball door no problem the lift arm and ratchet operate perfectly but ball will stop about 8" up the upsweep rails and yo-yo up and down. Now what ive done so far is change out the elevator twice, fit new urethane rail covers, drop height of elevator at the stop bumpers about as low as i could go before it blocks the door and i still cant get my first 3 pairs to work properly.

Also before anyone suggests it things such as conversions to humpy's just cannot and will not happen these P.B.L's only went in 12 months ago. Any help you guys could give on this subject would be fantastic.

THanks.
    AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Re: Ball Spinning

Stahl's lift rod cover.

It is twice as thick and will eliminte your. problem.

But a Humpback belt will too!

Comment

Agreed, install the thick cover at least 18" up the rail covers, you can then use your exsisting rail cover from there to top.....
      Peanut

Comment

Pinhead, a few question's?

The balls getting stuck, are they regular league balls or do you have old rubber balls on your racks.
        What oil are you using and how much are you putting on the lanes.
        You say you replaced the urethane covers on the tracks, did you use the AMF brand or a replacement. What I have noticed over the years is the urethane covers go hard, thus they lose thier effectiveness, how hard is the new urethane, maybe it has been in storage too long. An option you can try, is the new soft urethane covers from Brunswick, they may be available from Heritage Bay, I got some recently, they look good. Although I now work on Brunswick machines, I encountered this problem 8 years ago, at Bennetts Green and found the problem to be the urethane covers, going hard.
        Have you checked your Elevators for movement where the brackets bolt on, or in some cases drive rivets.
        Have you put on any new belts on the Elevators with the centre groove, if so file down the edges of the grooves.

Good luck.
        Frank.
        always doing my best.

Comment

King & Masternut hit it on the head. Get the thick rail covers. You wont have anymore problems !!!
          Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

Yep, Stahls covers are the bomb. I had a couple of pairs that still yo-yoed with their new covers (with a Vantage lift belt) and just put on Stahls gray belt…No more problems.

If monies extremely tight you can try shimming out the lift unit about 1/4”-5/16”. This will put the bottom of the rails closer to the belt. This doesn’t always work but it helps.

Triac

Comment

I order the 50' rolls of the Brunswick Red Heavy Duty lift rod cover and install them using air hose. This works VERY well. Again, like the others said, install half way up and use the urethane ones on the top half.
              "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Just a thought, check there is enough tension on your PBL belt. sping should be 4" to 4 1/2" if my memory serves me right.

Comment

dont overlook things like oily balls and rails, celulose thinners will clean off all the oil and make urethane slightly sticky, which helps
                  Want your old pins collecting anywhere in the UK? email me on jezsmith@aol.com

Comment

check that the bolt which goes through the bottom wheel of the pbl and grips on to the shaft(d-bore),is tight,ive had a problem like this,the bottom wheel doesnt grip the shaft properly and loosens the tension on the pbl belt

Comment

I used to add C washers at the bottom of the lift rods to push them toward the lift, worked great.... Then I became a Brunswick mechanic. HA! The B lift rod cover works the best, had a 36 lane center and did all of them over with that. u have to have an air hose to put on , it is tough s*%$!
                      Jay R. Dennis
                      Asst.Center Mechanic
                      Lucky Strike Bowling Center
                      Tucson Az
                      520-327-4926

Comment

yeah
                        well the covers i put on were fairly soft they are the blue vantage urethane covers, and also i did already try shimming the bottom of the rails out about 1/4" with c washers, didnt help much. The oil we use is Visflo 32.5 and i wouldnt say we use a bucket load of it a decent amount. As to the balls, it ranges from poly house balls to some OLD heavily oil soaked old reactives , cuz we all know bowlers NEVER clean their freakin bowling balls, like hey why would ya?????
                        AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Guy's I don't think Starhls lift rod covers are available in Australia, I may be wrong.

Frank.
                          always doing my best.

Comment

Just installed the new "gripper" uprail kit from amf. Only installed the new yellowish up-rail covers and thimbles. Didn't bother with the new PBL. Didn't see the need to replace it.
                            Have ran vigourous tests on it and it holds up very well so far with troublesome balls and house balls on heavy league pattern oil. Early days though. Used black amf belt also.
                            Am considering installing all lift rails with these, but only when they start to wear.
                            Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

PBL belt to 4 inches and put spacers between the lift rail and the bracket at the bottom behind the ball doors, a minimum of a 1/4 inch spacer and this pulls the lift rail nearer to the belt.if belts get old they start to slip and the worst offenders are the plastic, urethane and shiny balls as they offer no friction, the other thing to try is to slot the brackets above the bottom yoke and put bolts in place of the rivets this pushes the bottom closer to the up rails.and as this is where the ball gets its momemtum, once its up past the first 2' its gone.Alastair knows about the conversion and the fact that you have to trim a thimble to make it fit, but it is so thick it pulls the rails nearly 1/2 inch closer to the pbl belt.
                              maister.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X