Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carpet problems

k... i got the new carpet in and now i can't get the front roller springs to tighten up the carpet. any ideas????? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

Re: carpet problems

Is the carpet pinched under the bounce plate?

Comment

If it's a fresh carpet, as in brand new. You will have to let it run some. New capets are real stiff.

Hope you checked everything over real good & greased everthing while you had the carpet out. If you didnt check over that bracket the roller rides in. If it's gum'd up and not riding on that pivot shaft freely. You wont get the pull on the carpet. Plus the carpet will not track correctly.
      Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

Did you forget to pull the pin or bolt from front roller hinges.

Comment

Been there done that. Most carpets will take a while to break in .

FYI GUYS: NOT PLATINUMS!! THESE BELTS KICK SO MUCH ASS , AND ARE READY TO BOWL ON AFTER LIKE TEN MINUTES!!

When you have the old one out, always always always check the front roller supports to see if they move freely. Often times they will get "frozen" in the forward position. Pull them suckers off (Stahl's makes a handy tool for getting the springs on and off) and clean/replace and grease. You will be soooo happy you did. It may be the difference between coming back in two months or coming back in five years.

If its not that, the sucker's probably been in a box for awhile and just needs to be run. You can walk on them while theyre running to help, and once they sorta start crawling on their own, i used to disconnect tie rod to lift arm and line up a row of balls in the pit to help break it in. Good times.

Ahh yes, did i fail to mention how wicked the platinums are? Seriously guys, if you havent gotten any, buy ONE. Just one. That's all it will take.
          The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

I am running several platinums at both of my places. They do, indeed, kick ass [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

cut open a rosin bag and put the rosin in between the carpet........................if really stiff get some skate board tap.looks like sand paper with peel off back cut strips and stick them on back roller through hole in metal kickback

Comment

Get a piece of 1x4 off of a pallet or something and cram it vertically in behind the bearing support, ahead of the bounce plate. Shove the bearing support up so it holds the carpet good and snug and let it run like that for a couple hours. Then it's done.

People are forever playing games with new carpets, but this little trick has done me well so far.

As mentioned, if you didn't take the bearing supports off and clean and lube them, you've wasted all your effort. Too, those 21204 springs can be deceiving - if the end of the coil is separated from the rest of the coils at all, the spring is done - you will have a carpet edge getting frayed or the front roller popping off the supports or both.

There's a clever little trick for getting those springs back on their studs too. It involves a few inches of conduit with one end cut off in an L shape. You can figure out the rest - I gotta go, the old lady is yelling at me to come to bed.

Chad

Comment

i use a hollow bar to get the springs on,the bar is about 1 ft long,cut down the middle about 2 inchs,then cut the side part out,you are left will an `L` shape,that fits on the stud,the spring fits on the bar,and the other end of the spring is attached to the housing,you can then straighten the bar towards the housing and knock the spring down the bar onto the stud,easy

Comment

It's worth noting that prior to the acquisition of any spring tools, the method used was this:

One pair of vice grips
                    One boot/hiking shoe
                    A left AND right handed person
                    One try. After first try, youre outta gas.
                    (not me though, im never out of gas)

We would sit quasi-Injun style in the pit, one guy would have the spring puller tool in one of the holes in the support, with the spring attached to the post, and heave and grunt and fart and scream and swear and hammer til it went on. Ahhhh. Then I bought this box from Stahl's that was designed for removing the springs. I was fairly positive the folks at Stahl's were smoking tons of crack. "What the blue f*&^ am i supposed to do with this box??" It laid around for awhile, doubling as both an ashtray and a nut holder. ENTER OLD SCHOOL MECHANIC. Whilst on the phone with him , we get to talking about carpets and such. Lo and behold, holy crap , he shows me The Light. Life has been beer and skittles ever since. I actually genuinely look forward to pulling pits now, as the springs always made it a pain in the ass for me. Better late than never, i alwasy say. Thanks old school, and my apologies to the people at Stahl's for inferring any illicit drug abuse.
                    The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

never smoke crack....some of us distributors drink beer and bend over and expose crack......lol

Comment

Monkey, I could imagine you and I pulling carpets and hearing the sound from the campfire scene of "Blazing Saddles"!!!! If we ever did one together, we'd kill each other!!
                        Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                        our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                        Working...
                        X