Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions

Howdy boys,

Question one: Can someone verify as to whether or not the distributor shafts for the original style clutch, simplified clutch, and super clutch are 3 different shafts? I keep running into an issue where the pinion gear does not end up nicely centered on the giant nylon cam. It will protrude maybe 3/16" toward the gearbox. Is this normal? Is this what happens when you put a simplified clutch on an old school shaft? Is there even a difference in shafts? I cant tell, but when the pinion gear sticks out that much, you crowd the amount of room you have to tighten/loosen clutch tension and the UJoint may shatter because the cotter pin cant ride in the groove its supposed to.

Second question: I have noticed on a handfull of lanes that, for whatever reason, the steel kickback is actually in FRONT of the wood one by a fraction of an inch. It is damaging pins and balls. Maybe a foundation problem, maybe a culmination of all the all-thread/stabilizer links from lane to lane that have broken over the years? When the steel kickback sticks out further than the wood, thats bad, do you have this problem? How is it remedied? Or circumnavigated? Thanks.
    The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Re: 2 questions

Hey Monkey! I never seen a different size shaft before and we used to have super clutches, then I took over and chucked 'em in the bin! I couldn't get on with 'em. I did used to see different width washers about that fit onto the shaft before the pinion. Perhaps thats what they were for......

I also had a similar situation u discribed with the kickbacks. The timbers had shifted over the years and the back-end was just 'floating!' I nudged the wood back under the foot and wound the adjustable screw back and locked it off. A sure you have a problem is when you have a hell of a ime getting the ball lift out coz one machine has moved so much!

I aslo made sure that the bolt that secures the front-end and back-end together were nice and tight. They had also come loose. One lane was so bad the sweep arm used to hit the metal kick-back as it got to the 7-10 line.

What have the Romans ever done for us?
    I'm Brian and so is my wife.......

http://www.badassbowling.com

Comment

It is normal.

I worry when the stop blade does not line up to the stop on the rear clutch plate.

I adjust with washers.

Comment

I had the problem you described in you second question. I just rubber cemented a strip of old carpet where the kickback stuck out. It wasnt a permanent solution but it was easy and protected balls and pins.

Comment

To fix the metal kickback.....drill a 3/8 near the top of the OBD side and run a 3/8 grade 8 bolt through and tighten it to draw the side plates together.

Comment

I agree with Rob22.... The backend is probably floating. Make sure the jack screw is tight to the floor and the bolt holding the back end to the front end is secure. You may have to loosen the ball lift and kicker/PBL assy. and kick the backend over to get it even or behind the wooden kickback. Then again the wooden kickbacks could have moved also....

As far as the distributor shaft I believe one size fits all clutches.
            You can get anything in life you want..... If you just help enough other people get what they want.

Comment

My quick fix for the protruding metal wall/edge...cut a section of sure-pik rail cover and fit it over the edge of the metal wall. It's a perfect tight fit and you don't need adhesive.

Comment

OK

Comment

In San Diego I had one machine on the end that stuck out nearly 1.5 inches. Found the tank (pit frame assembly) wasn't even close to being square. Once I got it squared and leveled, the gap closed almost down to nothing. Put SurePik rail covers on (as BG suggested) and that prevented any further damage.
                  -- Larry

Comment

Could someone post the part number for the sur-pik rail covers,dont have sur-piks here.

Do you put the rail covers the full height of the metal kickback,or just the area where the ball would hit?

Thanks..

Comment

If memory serves, I believe it is

190-001-314

I'd do full height if you are getting pin damage.

Comment

Thx BG!!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                        our technician is working full time on another...
                        Working...
                        X