Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinwheel rollers

Ive been going through a lot of pinwheel rollers recently. Ive ordered roughly 10 of the (8230) Vantage versions over the last few months and 2 of the new ones have already failed. It wasnt the interior bearings but the outer case which seperated and fell off. Ive tried several times to weld the halves back together but regardless of how low I turned the heat, I ruined the bearings in the process so now I just buy new ones. Being that '30 rollers are quite similar to the '70 rollers, have any of the rest of you had a problem out of the Vantage versions recently? The only reason I bought them was because of the few $ price difference but damn, it just aint worth it if I have to replace them every month. How much better, if any are the AMF originals? How about any other brands or maybe the plastic (enviro) versions?

Re: pinwheel rollers

Cant say as ive ever really had a problem with them. When i do change them out for some reason, maybe a squeak, maybe i have the cover off already, i have been ordering the nylon (white) ones. They are probably Vantage and very quiet. How's the shape of your ring weldment? Ive never had the rollers fail so maybe youve got some wacky issues with weldments?
    The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

Very odd that they blow out soon soon. Me AMF hands down beats the others, you pay for what you get. The plastic ones work ok but after months some would develop a flat spot and stop turning. so I use AMF steel and I have Vantage also which work find. Just a note I have a regular schedule and that once a month the ring tubes are wiped with a solvent shop towel, then wiped with a dry shop towel, and grease is applied to all four bearings. I teach the machanics to us aout a quarter size ball of grease per machine. To much and it ends up on the floor and note enough it wears the rollers and ring tube. Question if you are getting metalic files on the pin wheel lower guard, that is a sure sign thier is not enough lubricant being used. Please post a solution when you find out whats up. Later Chief

Comment

We use the steel ones from AMF as well. They don't go bad too often, but all the ones we've changed and used AMF rollers on are still going strong. No problems with them
        All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

The chief said it well, once a month lube of the ring tubes is vital. It is my job personally to do it but we use a silicon based gel lubrican on the ring tubes. And like stated, metal filings on the ring tube guard is bad news meaning that excessive wear is coming from the ring tube or the bearings. We have used the AMF ones with great success.
          Indexer2

Comment

I have never seen a roller separate. AMF's work great and last for years. The only time I replace them is when the bearings dry out.

Comment

AMF Steel only.I also put a little bit of STP on rollers and ringtube to protect it.STP is so thick it will just cling to the ringtube.Unless you put too much on...then it will drip everywhere.

Comment

AMF steel.

Comment

I second all that has been said about AMF steel.
                  There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I usually take a mental note of the condition of the ring when I change a roller but I'll go back and check those just to make sure. Keep in mind that an unconverted '30 pinwheel has quite a bit more rolling resistance than a '70 (toggles and such). That stated, I have some pinwheels that have the same rollers that were on when we pulled out the '70s and put in the '30s 16 years ago.

I always try to keep 2 pinwheel rollers in stock, which means I had to order 2 this time. I ordered AMF. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rd8230:
                      Thanks for the tips. I usually take a mental note of the condition of the ring when I change a roller but I'll go back and check those just to make sure. Keep in mind that an unconverted '30 pinwheel has quite a bit more rolling resistance than a '70 (toggles and such). That stated, I have some pinwheels that have the same rollers that were on when we pulled out the '70s and put in the '30s 16 years ago.

I always try to keep 2 pinwheel rollers in stock, which means I had to order 2 this time. I ordered AMF. We'll see how it goes.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You pulled out your 70's and replaced them with the 30's. I have heard of the other way around. What was the reason??

Comment

Back in 1988, We owned the house but were just leasing the machines. They kept on increasing the rent on the equipment. I live in an area that the economy has always been and always will be a little sluggish, so we couldnt charge what we needed to keep up. So the owner at the time called AMF and basically told them to "come get your schidt" and we put in some '30s he found in South Carolina. I was 16 and it was the roughest 3 months of my life. Except for the tables on both '70s and '30s, we tore the machines down piece by piece. Once we did have them in, it was 1 year of the purest hell anyone could imagine trying to keep those things running. It was so bad that in '92 I quit for 9 years and went to work in factory. The new owner called me back a few years ago and I was REAL tentative to return, but finally did and the factory work ethic and ten years of maturing has made it (almost) a pie job. Except for some Mondays, I wouldnt want to do anything else. Sorry, rambling a bit..

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                        Working...
                        X