Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMF Simplified Clutch

I am trying 2 of these.

They seem to have more surface area for friction than other simple clutches.

I have had so much problem with gennie AMF style this year it is time for a change.

Re: AMF Simplified Clutch

What are they? Part #'s? how long have you ran them?
    There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

the AMF simplified clutch i assume king is talkin about has been out since '95. for me worked very nice. i never touched my AMF simplified for 6 years after i put it on. ive since left that center

Comment

Original AMF’s clutches have served me well for over 30 years with no problems as long as its maintained. To me the clutch is the simplest thing on the distributor. The only time I’ve EVER had a jam due to a clutch was because of lack of maintenance. Even so, if a jam did occur because of a clutch…backing off spring tension will usually get me another week, so that I have time to properly maintain/replace it.

Some might argue temperature in the back would influence the spring pressure and I’m sure this is true. Another factor to consider is humidity on the frictions discs. However, I’ve always had great success running all springs on my clutches at 1 full turn on every 70 I’ve worked on in cold and warm weather states.

Maybe its me, but I just cant see a variance of more than (+/- one notch) from one full turn on the clutches. If so…something else is defiantly wrong.

Triac

Comment

Originally posted by triac:
          Original AMF’s clutches have served me well for over 30 years with no problems as long as its maintained. To me the clutch is the simplest thing on the distributor. The only time I’ve EVER had a jam due to a clutch was because of lack of maintenance. Even so, if a jam did occur because of a clutch…backing off spring tension will usually get me another week, so that I have time to properly maintain/replace it.

Some might argue temperature in the back would influence the spring pressure and I’m sure this is true. Another factor to consider is humidity on the frictions discs. However, I’ve always had great success running all springs on my clutches at 1 full turn on every 70 I’ve worked on in cold and warm weather states.

Maybe its me, but I just cant see a variance of more than (+/- one notch) from one full turn on the clutches. If so…something else is defiantly wrong.

Triac
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Triac, I totally agree with all you said. I run my spring tension at 3/4 of a turn with great sucess.

King, good luck with the clutches, you'll need it. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

My problem is where the pinion engages the rear plate wears prematurely......like in a few weeks they start chattering.

Comment

Originally posted by 82/70 king:
              I am trying 2 of these.

They seem to have more surface area for friction than other simple clutches.

I have had so much problem with gennie AMF style this year it is time for a change.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hate to even say it as I swear by the originals but I've had to R&amp;R quite a few myself this year (more than usual anyway, with 64 lanes you do have to get into a bit more often than most houses lol) We're sticking with them though, let us know how those work for ya King!
              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

KIng, just a thought... are you still using roll pins in the distributor shafts that have to be beaten out every time you need to clean the clutch?

Most times I've seen wear like you're describing, it was due to an ever-so-slightly bent shaft that was causing enough wobble to wear things out. You might not even see it while it's running... you have to pull the shaft and roll it on a flat surface to see the bend in it.

If you are still using roll pins, to prevent further shaft damage, try switching to 1/4" hitchpin clips that can just be pulled instead of beaten out.
                <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

G....I am using hitch pins......and I have been for 5 years.....I am getting chatter on all odd lanes too.

The gold anodized clutch plate is just not durable......they are good for 3 or 4 months max......then it is brrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have too many things to do to keep chasing clutch problems and I am not buying the clutch elimination setup that Felix is wrestling with.

Comment

G....I am using hitch pins......and I have been for 5 years.....I am getting chatter on all odd lanes too.

The gold anodized clutch plate is just not durable......they are good for 3 or 4 months max......then it is brrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have too many things to do to keep chasing clutch problems and I am not buying the clutch elimination setup that Felix is wrestling with.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Queen, next week I'll send you three pc's for the original clutch.... PLEASE install them then tell me what you think.

Thanks
                    Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                    Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

instead of the hitch pin and the roll pin I put a allen screw and nut on the odd lanes easy to remove and no binding or rattles, have had no problems with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Fox:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 82/70 king:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Queen, next week I'll send you three pc's for the original clutch.... PLEASE install them then tell me what you think.

Thanks
                        Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Will do sir.

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're using something I'm not familiar with... gold anodized plate? Must be some new thing they did to save $$$ or something.

I havent had to buy a clutch part in years... so I haven't seen the new stuff they're selling yet. From what I've been hearing, I guess I should count myself lucky.

When we bought out the other center some years back, there was TONS of clutch parts in the machine room. I guess they were ordering them and not doing anything with them, because the clutches on the machines were a disaster. Anyway, they had 16 machines and there was about 60 complete clutches and extra parts in several boxes we found in the back. They were all the black coated/painted steel.
                          <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

I wish I had more black ones.

I do think the AMF simplified clutch looks promising.

Comment

I wish I had more black ones.

I do think the AMF simplified clutch looks promising.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto that King, the black ones were great. The gold colored ones they send now aren't half as good. I know one we put in lasted maybe 6 months tops before the hole in it got all worn out
                              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X