Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static Electricity

I've read on a few forums on BT people talking about static electricity from carpets and distributors. My machines have no earth straps from the bounce plate to the frame, and a few of my distributors still have the nylon roller on the 7-pin side of the carridge support.

What problems have people experienced because of static electricity? I've been told that it can affect scoring operation and cycles? Does everybody else have earth straps from the bounce plate and do they make a difference?
    I'm Brian and so is my wife.......

http://www.badassbowling.com

Re: Static Electricity

I have no straps and no static problem.

Comment

My machines have a ground wire running from the frame to a grounding rod outside the building. Static Electricity is not a problem

Tim
      HBOwner

Comment

Not everyone is going to have a static problem, especially if you have wood lanes. If you have the nylon rollers on the distributor, you are looking at a potentially large static problem. I have been in a house that had these and you could literally hear the snap of the static discharging all over the backend. I have a 3M static meter & when you aim it at the distributor, the charge would slowly build to in excess of 30,000 volts and *bam* it would discharge off the side of the distributor to something metal. The problame can get much worse these days with synthetic lanes and the various types of balls that are mfgrd. If you have decent humidity in your center, chances are you won't have a problem, if it is dry and the conditions are right, you are potentially going to have problems. Static can effect scoring, electronics in the pinspotter chassis, and zap the he** outta the bowler when they ground themselves at the ball return. You are better off grounding the heck outta just about anything you can - plain & simple. A good humidifier helps in the winter too! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
        I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

i recently earth-bonded all our machines and mask units for a slightly different reason, but i cant say i had static electricity problems before that, i was a bit excited when i found out that the machines are split across the 3 phases in a 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 manner so there is 440v between each machine! hence the very rapid puchase of earth cable and the subsequent bonding of everything metal on the machine floor!
          Want your old pins collecting anywhere in the UK? email me on jezsmith@aol.com

Comment

We definitely have static issues with the distributors... I can sit at the desk with the lights off over the machines, and watch the static sparks jump from the moving carriage tubes to the distributor guide rails.

As to it causing problems with scoring or chassis, not that I'm aware of... we don't have the static issue in summer (it can get a bit humid in the back), and there is no increase in electrical problems from winter to summer.

One thing to consider is that our machines are bonded to the each other and to the grounding bus of the panel with #8 copper between the machines, and #6 to the panel... I believe that keeps us from having a lot of electrical/static-related problems.
            <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

I rarely have seen sparks down next to a carpet and bounceplate that doesn't have the ground strap. For instance, one lane I have seen has almost a constant small spark between the first bounceplate channel and the ball door. It doesn't make any noise but you can see it plain as day. I don't think it will really cause a problem unless is gets hot enough to ignite some of the old dust/lint that is down there.

Louie
              Experience: Currently Help Maintain 44 82-30s and 50 82-70s.

Comment

#### TESLA ####

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, the reason I ask was I had an usual call on L14 whereby everytime the pins shuttled into the cups and the BS opened the table stopped, but if I held the BS lever in untill the pins hit the deck it was OK.

So I thought " OK, I'll check the bin switch and table cam switches when they have finished bowling, until then I'll hold the bin switch lever in so they can finish their game." So I stood and held the lever in as I was doing that the dist brushed past my arm and I got zapped!! Only after the wide variety of swearing had passed I noticed the problem had stopped and hasn't been back since!

I never would have believed you could get such a whack off a distributor! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

By the way, Jez, why have you grounded your machines and masking? Is it anything to do with Dura-Bowl coverboards? You get a good zap off those too!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Plastic capping, gutters and synthetic lanes. Walk down and touch the mask frame and zap.Static is there and it is movement that generates the energy.
                    when i was at school we had a Faraday machine which , by turning the handle you could create sparks.electricity.
                    I rest my case.
                    maister

Comment

The reason for all the static bonding so to say was originally for the accuscore system. We had it and it did make a diffrence in the way the scoring worked. Before we put the steel rollers on the dist, we had all kinds of hell with the system after no problems at all? I always put bonding straps on the carpets in case of this problem returning. Better to be safe than sorry.
                      They say that the **** rolls down hill but the smell always starts at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob22:
                        Thanks for the replies guys, the reason I ask was I had an usual call on L14 whereby everytime the pins shuttled into the cups and the BS opened the table stopped, but if I held the BS lever in untill the pins hit the deck it was OK.

So I thought " OK, I'll check the bin switch and table cam switches when they have finished bowling, until then I'll hold the bin switch lever in so they can finish their game." So I stood and held the lever in as I was doing that the dist brushed past my arm and I got zapped!! Only after the wide variety of swearing had passed I noticed the problem had stopped and hasn't been back since!

I never would have believed you could get such a whack off a distributor! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

By the way, Jez, why have you grounded your machines and masking? Is it anything to do with Dura-Bowl coverboards? You get a good zap off those too!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A bad spotting relay in the chassis can cause that problem too, at least with SS's. We had it once and as you said ya had to hold the bin switch in til the pins hit the deck or it would just stop.
                        All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

I expected it to be something pretty mudane like that rep and if someone else would of put "I got a shock off the dist. and the problem went away" I would of thought "right-o, what ya been smoking down the back!" I swear though that It's exactly what happened!

Its probably the strangest thing I've seen...but I'm not complaining too much though, it's still working!

Comment

Ground as many things as you can! Get rid of the nylon rollers and replace with steel ones...all the synthetic stuff in a bowling alley is a static nightmare if you don't ground it. A good humidifier can say you a lot of zapping...try to keep the humidity at 40-50%.

BTW, I have a small pen like device I came up with about 20 years ago that lets you discharge yourself w/o getting zapped. I keep one handy all the time in the winter!
                            I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob22:
                              I expected it to be something pretty mudane like that rep and if someone else would of put "I got a shock off the dist. and the problem went away" I would of thought "right-o, what ya been smoking down the back!" I swear though that It's exactly what happened!

Its probably the strangest thing I've seen...but I'm not complaining too much though, it's still working!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, as long as they're running that's all that counts! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X