Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor clutch - THE FIX

This info was gathered from Lafarge.

The problem is too much friction from the bronze pinion bushing against the d washer and too much tension between the round washer and the sleeve.

Here is the fix:
    1. 4 Torrington flat washers - tra1018
    2. 2 Torrington thrust roller bearing - nta1018
    3. 2 Torrington needle bearings - bh1012

Instructions:
    1. Press bronze bushing out of pinion sleeve.
    2. Install 2 needle bearings bh1012 in the pinion using a vise or press.....make sure you get the needle bearings past the keyed part of the pinion.
    3. Remove clutch assy. leaving the d washer.
    4. Install 1 flat washer tra1018.
    5. Install 1 thrust bearing nta1018.
    6. Install 1 flat washer tra1018.
    7. Install pinion with the needle bearings.
    8. Install rear clutch plate.
    9. Install 1 flat washer tra1018.
    10. Install 1 thrust bearing nta1018.
    11. Install 1 flat washer tra1018.
    12. Install worm.....you must grind 1/8 off the side of the worm that rides agaist the flat washer to allow for the space the washer/bearing takes.
    13. Install clutch disc.
    14. Install front clutch plate.
    15. Install nut and flat washer using spring to tighten snugly.
    16. Install spring to 1 turn of tension.

You cannot believe how easy the trip rods allow a pin to index the distributor.
    There is no hesitation on the clutch drive either.
    You can run 1 1/2 turns of tension if you wish and still have smooth indexing.
    There is NO HEAT build up in the clutch.
    Total cost is about $15 per machine.

You now have a free spinning clutch assy.

JK

Re: Distributor clutch - THE FIX

I've been doing this for about 15 years.
    I read about it in the Bowling Center Management
    mag when they were doing tips each month.

Larry R

Comment

Hmmm....sounds interesting.

Jerry, do you have a source on those parts along with part numbers (i.e. Grainger)?

Much appreciated.
      "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Motion Industries.

You have to take the rear plastic ring off so the bearings on the front side do not rub the rivets.

Comment

TRA 1018 Thrust Race .69 ea.
          NTA 1018 BRG $1.94 ea.
          BH 1012 BRG $4.42 ea.

Equals $15.48 per mach.
          If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Larry R:
            I've been doing this for about 15 years.
            I read about it in the Bowling Center Management
            mag when they were doing tips each month.

Larry R
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And the reason you never posted the info here is???????????????????

Comment

quite frankly i wouldnt post it either. the naysayers would eat ya alive in here. if your fix doesnt look like the pic in the 1960's manual, best to keep your fingers off the keys in here

Comment

Ain't that the truth COORS! If he had posted it, all these GURU's would have given him 1001 reasons it wouldn't work and nobody would have tried it anyhow. Think I remember seeing that tip but at the time I had no intention of working on 70' or 90's. Thanks Larry for bringing it to our attention. Have always had faith in Torrington needle roller bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingram:
                  Ain't that the truth COORS! If he had posted it, all these GURU's would have given him 1001 reasons it wouldn't work and nobody would have tried it anyhow. Think I remember seeing that tip but at the time I had no intention of working on 70' or 90's. Thanks Larry for bringing it to our attention. Have always had faith in Torrington needle roller bearings.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Really?
                  When Ed posted the dist. pan removal I tried it immediately.
                  This forum is to SHARE info........if you not share......and you only take......you do not further the forum.
                  JMO

Comment

Moy inglis vely vely bed, pictjer plys?
                    So it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampie:
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My sentiments exactly! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Im all for sharing info. i luv those that share Mods. I try them all, Except for the DID hehe. if it works great, if not to each their own. But i never condemn and get personal as ive seen other mechs get. What i said is just a generality. Some of us in the past 5-6 years here have shared some mods we are very proud of. and for us, it works great and sidesteps alot of headaches.

However we all know or have known some members that are Bible (Pinsetter Manual) beaters. and anything not in the book and they step up on the soap box condemming us for having the nerve to come up with a different/easier way. And after so many years im sure some of us decide ill just stay out of this thread.

the best mods ive seen thus far is Kings kidney swap, removal of the belt runner, and Ed's OOR relay. keep'm coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampie:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No doubt. I require sequentially labeled, numbered, blown up pictures. Im totally fascinated , dont get me wrong, but theres no way in hell i can translate that list into something workable.
                          The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

I think it is funny that not a year ago I put this clutch set up on here to share it before now and no one siad three words about it now when King puts it on here it gets noticed thanks for putting it on here King. I guess next time I have somthing cool to put on the site I'll have King do it for me. Thanks again King your the best and I realy enjoy BSing with ya. Dustin
                            They say that the **** rolls down hill but the smell always starts at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by lafarge:
                              I think it is funny that not a year ago I put this clutch set up on here to share it before now and no one siad three words about it now when King puts it on here it gets noticed thanks for putting it on here King. I guess next time I have somthing cool to put on the site I'll have King do it for me. Thanks again King your the best and I realy enjoy BSing with ya. Dustin
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I completely missed that post, when and where did you post it? Can't find it.
                              Must be a good mod!
                              Thanks for sharing.
                              Martin
                              So it goes.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X