Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor rear belt runners / O pan guides

I have heard lots of opinions and seen lots of mods on the rear belt runner and or O pan, some cut holes in them, some take them out, other folks put guides on thier O pans, etc..etc...

Some seem to work, others I scratch my head, to each his own I guess.

What have any of you tried that seemed to help with rolloffs / pin orientation?
    Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
    804-240-4982

Re: Distributor rear belt runners / O pan guides

I too have seen many mods and adaptations but if kidney plate is set up correctly pins should roll onto pan and not idle. belt lifters are used when belts get loose or worn to help encourage the pin along to the trip fingers, but keeping the pan clean and adjusted to each machine should be all that is required.good luck. with whatever you try though.
    maister

Comment

Taking the belt runner out is the only mod you need.

Comment

If adjusting the kidneys and pans could cure all….but it don’t. I can adjust both of these components (for near perfect orientation) and run a continuous cycle for hrs on end with out even so much a slight stall.

However, the problems begin from severe vibration of people throwing rockets at the machine causing premature release of the pin. If the kidney is adjusted more towards the pan or raised to hold the pin slightly tighter….this is when inconsistent and erratic orientation begins.

Removing the trough pan helps to aid the pin from whipping when the kidney or pan needs to be adjusted to meet these conditions. I was skeptical at first but found that removing the pan has decreased DJ’s by 25%.

I have tried Stahls stationary ears and found that in some cases they help immensely and in others they just don’t work.

I have also tried stop/guides on the pan and found that the slight hesitation to square up the pin is enough to allow two pins to close together and will cause intermittent jams. By removing the trough pan, the pin is on the belt and on its way with no hesitation.

Removing the trough pan is not fool proof, but does help.

There is hope some day for near perfect orientation…I have redesigned a few "O"pans (in different phases) in operation so that kidney and "O"pan adjustments are not near as crucial.

The 4th phase is just about perfect with only 2 DJ’s for one year due to orientation. The "O"pan self centers the pin and the kidney can be adjusted slightly tighter and there is no whip. Been running different phases of this "O"pan on different machines for over a year with excellent results.

The problem is when I talk to manufactures they want me to just send it in and they will evaluate it (probably so they can copy the design). I don’t have a patent on it and boss doesn’t seem too interested yet. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

Triac

Comment

I'm kinda scared to answer this because I was a student of Johns.

I like the mod of removing the belt runner. Had a problem child machine a while ago and talked to King on the phone about the mod, tried it and the problem child is now a good child.
          Lifes to short to stress on little things.

Comment

Never be afraid to try anything.Thats how better ways are found.Just cause its not in the book...dosent mean it wont work.

Comment

The 2 things that I did that improved pin orientation is putting a bent piece of flat aluminum attached to side rail of distributor to O-pan pin and using O-pan wipes.
              Jim H

Comment

O pan wipes are ok....but it adds maintenance.
                As they get soiled the pins react different.
                Different wipes fit differently and add to orientation problems.

Comment

Good input!
                  I appreciate all suggestions and comments.
                  It only makes it better for all.

Hey Air Force, remember what I said in class about suggesting other methods........I have not changed, learned some cool stuff too, most every class!

Keep them coming, its all good.

JI
                  Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
                  804-240-4982

Comment

Ya this is a trick question to see if we were paying attention in class [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] Removal of the rear runner works pretty well. It will solve the every once in while roll off.

I feel if one has to go to extremes with adding rails and guides he's got other problems.

Never tried o-pan wipes. Sounds like more work to me. I can't imagine changing 60 diapers a week. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

The best belt riser(if your going to keep the rear belt runner) is a pin guide/dogear folded over a little more and shoved over the belt runner. It's eternal and won't fall out like the plastic ones.
                    You gonna eat that?

Comment

Another modification that works very well is to drill a hole in the ear where the pin usually rolls off the pan. Cut the tail off a rubber rivit and insert it in the hole. Drill the hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the rivit and twist it in the hole. This way if the pin is about to roll off, it gently bumps the rivit tale without impeding pin flow. The hole should be drilled near the end of the ear. Somtimes the very simple ideas are the best.
                      Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

I use friction Tape on my pans. Once a week I scuff them up with a light wire brush. Never had something so simple work so good.
                        They say that the **** rolls down hill but the smell always starts at the top.

Comment

Let's face it, good orientation is the key to a good running distributor (machine). Probably the kidney rail in my opinion is one of the main causes for our problems. Just the way it's mounted to the machine is a problem, the two rubber mounts. If you notice two pins can be on the rail at the same time. Just before the first one is ready to drop off the second one comes on also. If that pin, for whatever is slightly bigger in the belly, it will push down on the rail and cause the pin that's ready to drop off to release in a odd manner, bad orientation. To solve this I have removed the upper rubber mount, and using a bolt with an amount of washers equal to the width of the mount, secure the upper end of the rail with this setup. This now lets the pins go off the end of the rail with the same pressure all the time. There is no need to have the rail real high off the pan. The snapping of the pin as it goes off the rail is not necessary. You want it to roll & turn. My rails are no more than 1/2" off the pan at the most, while the wheel is running with the smaller pulley. The other problem with the rail is the way you have to set it. When you do, you have to get a happy medium with the way the head first and bottom first pins roll onto the pan. To solve this, since the head first pin is the biggest problem, adjust the rail for good head first orientation and don't worry about the bottom first yet. Do whatever you have to do to get this. Next take a piece of 1 1/4" flat stock, go up about 2 1/2" and bend it about 45 deg., go up about 2" and reverse bend it so it's parellel to the first straight piece. Make this section 2 1/2" also. Next drill a 5/16 hole at one end, using a rubber rail mount for the depth. Do the same thing on the other side, but now make a slot by cutting straight down into the hole. Mount this contraption by loosening the top rail nut and slide it down on it. Make sure that the bend at the bottom is going away from the rail. Secure a rubber mount in the top hole facing toward the front of the machine. The last thing is to take a pin seat rod (the thing right above the pin ejector) and mount it to the rubber mount. You now can move it at the rail nut, or the rod in or out from the pan to now get good bottom first orientation. You now have TWO ways to set your orientation instead of one. If anyone is interested in seeing what this setup looks like, let me know and i'll get some pictures up. It may seem that this sounds complicated, but it isn't.

AMF DOCTOR
                          The doctor makes house calls.
                          AMF DOCTOR
                          The doctor makes house calls.
                          http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

Comment

Originally posted by lafarge:
                            I use friction Tape on my pans. Once a week I scuff them up with a light wire brush. Never had something so simple work so good.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This does work well.

However it does scuff the pins.

Comment

I wonder how a makeshift Brunswick style pin guide would work? Can anybody give me reasons why it not work?----Not you King, I mean unbiased reasons.
                              Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X