Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Light Question

Do you guys buy AMF lights or just use local suppliers?

We use 82/70 spotters. An AMF store clerk in Holland told us that it would be faster and cheaper to just buy tubes from any old retailer and they'd be fine.

What I'm finding is that one in say, three isn't working in the machine but it will work okay in a domestic striplight. I reckon this is due to the tubes needing a starter to kick them into life.

Would choosing a different wattage make them any more likely to work in the machines. Can you buy special tubes for starterless rigs or do you Think I should just go back to AMF and pay out the extra beans?

I'm a bit worried because we now have several boxes worth of 30watt blacklights and whitelights and it's a lottery which ones'll work. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]
    ~ PJ

Re: A Light Question

P-Jay,

Forgive my ignorance but what cycle current do you have there?

If you are using 50HZ, but the lights have 60HZ ballasts that could be part of the problem.

Voltage too 100 vs 115.

John
    Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
    804-240-4982

Comment

Were 50Hz here. Yes, the ballast thing seems to be my problem then. I'll try switching a couple with ones from the workshop strips and see what happens.

I'll be shopping for new light-units soon anyway so we can set the machines up for glow bowling. That should fix us right up.

Cheers for your help, John.
      ~ PJ

Comment

Just realised I can't do that experiment with the ballasts. {doh!} We run on 240 volts here.

I take it the chassis is doling out 110v to the pit lights?
        ~ PJ

Comment

I would read the output with a meter to be safe.
          Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
          804-240-4982

Comment

Even if you're running 220, try taking the neutral wire to ground (add to the place where the ground is within the fixture). It isn't code here in the US, but it will work if the ballast isn't solid state and needs the 50Hz return.
            This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Hi P-Jay if your machines are 220v then chassis will be supplyimg 220v to the pit lights.What type of lamp units do you have. are they the single fitting or the double fitting.the tube is not a problem if correct wattage.yes you can buy locally and cheaper.
              maister

Comment

Hi guys

Ted, I might try that out just out of sheer curiosity but I wouldn't feel happy modding the electrics on the lanes when it would be so easy to just pick up a bunch of new light units instead.

Maister, we have single units but we'd need to buy doubles for the blacklights soon if we get the go ahead. I'm pretty sure the ballasts are the original bakolite-coloured American ones. I'll be able to take a better look at it all on tuesday when I'm on again.
                ~ PJ

Comment

Hey P-jay,
                  Go to a local Electrical Wholesaler, specially a national chain like City Electrical Factors(CEF)
                  or WILTS or something. Buy in several tubes at a time. I got about 100 tubes of various sizes and wattages for all the centre lighting. Also a good idea to keep a load of starters as well. ALthough experiance suggests that changing both the starter and the tube each time gives you plenty of life.

For the recored you are on 230Volts supplied at 50 Hz. The national standard for the UK.

Also please be aware that the disposal of fluorescent tubes is now a Health and Safety issue and tubes should be stored to be collected.

I have the AMF dual pit lights, but have had to change the odd ballast/choke now and then.
                  If you have any problems give us a yell,
                  kev@revtech.fsnet.co.uk
                  If Wile E coyote has enough money to by all that Acme crap why doesnt he buy his dinner?

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                  Working...
                  X