Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

carpet pulley removal... an easy way ???

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carpet pulley removal... an easy way ???

Hey friends. Im trying to remove the carpet pulley from my back roller but its stuck in there real good. I tried jarring in loose with my trusty tuning fork. Any other methods for getting that stupid thing off ??? ~jake
    Life's a Garden... DIG IT !

Re: carpet pulley removal... an easy way ???

I'll tell ya what i did with a troublesome pulley once: remove the bolts that hold it to the shaft, spray a generous amount of wd40 in the holes and around the end of the shaft, leave the machine otherwise fully assembled. and just let people bowl on that lane like you normally wouild if it's possible. eventually it'll work itself loose. it sucks and requires patience but it works

Comment

Use a propane torch and heat it up.

Comment

i normaly use a long bar and lever it off.

Comment

Liquid wrench sprayed on and let sit for a few minutes and lever it off! Your effort will earn the reward just stick with it.

Comment

If the pulley is far enough away from the kickback plate, you can try this, do it many time a year in my classes.

Remove the set screws from the pulley, spray penetrating oil down the screw holes,
            put a 3/4 open end wrench on the shaft between the pulley and kickback, the other end of the wrench should be resting on a block of wood.

The wrench will hold the shaft still, put the drive belt back on, bump the backend motor on and off, many times the pulley will spin free.

The wrench I use is an old 3/4 cut in half and stuck in a 3' pipe, that way I can reach it from the back.

One thing that helps stop seizing is to use anit-seize compound inside the bore of the pulley when you reassemble.

John
            Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
            804-240-4982

Comment

loosen up the bolts and turn on the machin if you havent pulled every thing els off and it will break it loose. works all the time for me.
              They say that the **** rolls down hill but the smell always starts at the top.

Comment

loosen up the bolts and turn on the machin if you havent pulled every thing els off and it will break it loose. works all the time for me.
                They say that the **** rolls down hill but the smell always starts at the top.

Comment

just keep on getting pissed off at it like me.
                  sooner or later attitude and will will break it down and you will feel a great relief. Think of it as the guy who will complain that the beer is too cold. Or use penitrating oil and the bar for putting in those rubber rivets.

have fun

Comment

That's the way we do it lafarge. We take the bolts out and use a little WD-40 to help it along. It also helps to have pumpkin tans for added pressure. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

If the bolts have loosened up and burred the shaft that is a different story. You might need a larger wedge than the tuning fork to go between the side plate and pulley. WD-40 will help on this also.

If all else fails take the pulley off the opposite machine, slide the RR out of the way and you can use a bearing puller to take it off.

Comment

Hey thanks for all the replies guys. I called the boss and he had a 5 foot pry bar we used to pop her off, But i should have thought about lafarges method. I think ill try that next time. And Candy, i tried your method first off :p , but if i can i try to work smarter and not so hard:p
                      Thanks everybody. ~jake
                      Life's a Garden... DIG IT !

Comment

I have found that PB Blaster is the best. It is far better than WD 40, Liquid Wrench or anything else I've tried.
                        Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Somebody turned me on to PB Blaster a few months ago. This stuff woks 10x better than WD40. If you need the mach. back on line ASAP, there is always the sawsall. We polish the shaft and use never-seize everytime we do a pit.
                          "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
                          Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

The above are some great tips.

I just wedge a large crow bar between kickback and pulley. That has worked for the past 19 years, but as you know the next one I pull will take one of the above responses to remove it. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

We had a ton of trouble with one recently one mechanic was spraying and prying for alomst 2 hours trying to get this thing off, his shift ended and it was my turn. After continuing what he did for 20 mins I got fed up, got a crowbar, stuck it between the kickback and pulley leaned the other end against the back frame of the machine, and proceeded to beat the crap out of it for 15 mins with a BFH. I actually put a little bend in the crowbar, but it finally popped off. There were burrs all over the shaft we filed them smooth and that pulley went back on without a hitch, that was easily and by far the most trouble I've ever had getting that pulley off
                              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X