Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westinghouse Combos

Is there a solid state start switch replacement for the westinghouse combo motors? I am getting fed up with broken centrifugal mechanisms and burnt contact points.
    Thanks for any help.
    Bob

Re: Westinghouse Combos

BG

I wouldnt go with a solid state start switch (SSSS). I would use a potential relay that mounts in the wireway. Much easier to deal with than cent mechs. Also cleans up the wiring inside the stator itself. I've tried quality SSSS for the westinghouse combos, but sometimes I get coasting on the sweep motors. You can get the potential relay from Stahls or you can order Grainger part # 6X550. They are roughly 18 - 20 bucks through Grainger which isnt bad at all. If you do get em through Grainger, just ask and someone here can post the wiring modifications needed for the machine side and the stator side.

Wang

Comment

SWEEP--RED wire on TSA2 to #2 on relay. Run wire FROM #1 on relay to TSA2. Run wire FROM #5 on relay to TSA3----TABLE--RED wire on TS20 to #2 on relay. Run wire FROM #1 on relay to TS20. Run wire FROM #5 on relay to TS22...NOTE- On some newer machines with MP,s, for table, red wire may be green. I don't know why but have found this to be the case. (Grainger 6X550, 6X549 will work but not recommended.) I will send pic's to Astro to post for me as soon as I can. This conversion is for Nationals also.
      Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

OK I like the idea but need more information. Sthalls has these also it sounds like. I like the idea but need more information about how this looks.

Signed
        electrical rookie forever

Wiring up the cent switches feels like a guessing game most of the time if I could get rid of that my stress level would go down considerably.

Comment

I've always had excellent results with the quality switches on national combos.

Comment

I forgot to mention that when you do the potential relay conversion, the motor plug (motor side) must be changed. Move the red wire #1 to #6 on the terminal board. This disables the board(s). It's also best to remove centrifugal mechanism because in time, one or more of the bell weights will break off and fall into the stator. BTW, Stahl's price is competitive with Grainger for the relays.
            Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

The Stahl's relay and Grainger relay are the same.......Grainger is cheaper.

Comment

Thank you for your help! I just ordered 2 relays from Graingers and I'm gonna pick them up on my way into work tonite. I can't wait to try it. Thanks again!
                Bob

Comment

Can anyone post a picture of this setup in the wireway, or the stator, perhaps a wiring diagram?

Comment

Do you have to do any rewiring of the motor plug itself?

Comment

Originally posted by BG:
                      Do you have to do any rewiring of the motor plug itself?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Machine end, no. The only wiring mods is done inside the wireway (move 4 wires), and remove the stator's auxilliary board and connect the red wire coming from the socket to the red lead in the windings.
                      "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Our price on all products are not set in stone. You may call us and discuss our price on these relays and we have all the instructions for hooking them up!!! Thanks! Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by Brunsamf:
                          SWEEP--RED wire on TSA2 to #2 on relay. Run wire FROM #1 on relay to TSA2. Run wire FROM #5 on relay to TSA3----TABLE--RED wire on TS20 to #2 on relay. Run wire FROM #1 on relay to TS20. Run wire FROM #5 on relay to TS22...NOTE- On some newer machines with MP,s, for table, red wire may be green. I don't know why but have found this to be the case. (Grainger 6X550, 6X549 will work but not recommended.) I will send pic's to Astro to post for me as soon as I can. This conversion is for Nationals also.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you have MP's with scoring and sweep reverse, you have to run the wire from terminal #5 on the relay to TSE-2 (sweep motor) or you will get a sweep coast problem on the sweep reverse.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by StahlsSeventys:
                            Our price on all products are not set in stone. You may call us and discuss our price on these relays and we have all the instructions for hooking them up!!! Thanks! Jamie
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is BS........everyone should pay the same price........unless buying in LARGE quantity.......you guys run a great operation but this is garbage......I do not have time to call up and barter with distributors.

Comment

Been using the SSSS from Bowltronics for some 8 years now. Have had great luck with them on all motors, combos and backend, GE and West. The price is reasonable too, $24.50, with a 2 year warrenty. Installing is very simple, on a combo you hook the 4 wires to the terminal board and break off the old switch. On a backend, hook 2 wires to the terminal board and other 2 break the capacitor and the start winding and break off the switch. The thing I like about them is one switch works with either motor. I think that if you try one you'll like it better than the relay, because it will not burn up any contacts since it's solid state. Bowltronics number is 1-800-346-3153 and ask for Rick.

AMF DOCTOR
                              The doctor makes house calls.
                              AMF DOCTOR
                              The doctor makes house calls.
                              http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X