Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cushion Support Box bolts

I had a bolt break off on the 7 pin side kick back of 29 for the cushion support box. It was only held in place with 2 bolts, however you modified it. What we did was drill out the hole for the broken one to 3/4". Next we took a 1/8" steel plate and drilled the 3 3/8" holes that line up with the support box. We then welded a nut to the plate for the hole that the weld broke. Last we welded the plate to the kickback. There was still 1/8" left even with the steel plate there. The end result is a all 3 bolts can be bolted in like usual. Also painted it black so it meshes in better with the kick. To quote someone "FIXED!"

Wang

Re: Cushion Support Box bolts

I also have a mod that I have done. 1 st I take of the cushion assembly. Then I take off the offending support block. Where the bolt goes all the way through the support block I cut the metal making a "U" type shape for the cushion tube. Then I take it back to the machine and weld the braket straight onto the kickback. Once cooled down take a can of black spray paint and cover up that sucker. After that support bracket is on it is just a matter of sliding the urathan block w/ cushion assembly into it and sliding the bolt through it and tighten it up.
    Anything that will fix it other than taking off the kickback is a good fix in my book.
    There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Table Head:
      I also have a mod that I have done. 1 st I take of the cushion assembly. Then I take off the offending support block. Where the bolt goes all the way through the support block I cut the metal making a "U" type shape for the cushion tube. Then I take it back to the machine and weld the braket straight onto the kickback. Once cooled down take a can of black spray paint and cover up that sucker. After that support bracket is on it is just a matter of sliding the urathan block w/ cushion assembly into it and sliding the bolt through it and tighten it up.
      Anything that will fix it other than taking off the kickback is a good fix in my book.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What if the cushion box breaks or cracks?? Sounds like you will have to grind it off and reweld a new one on. I think you are better off with a different solution.

Comment

When the common side welded nut breaks off, I use a special tool that we made up years ago. It's a three foot metal bar with a 9/16 wrench (open end) welded to the end of the bar. You put a piece of duct tape on the wrench and put a flat washer on the bolt and then stick the nut in the wrench and tighten up the cushion block.
        The box is painted silver to make others aware that the welded nut is no longer in use.
        There's usually enough room at the diamond plate to look at the operation as you move the bar around from the split in the two machines.
        This way you don't have to weld in the mach and it's very quick. And it comes apart if necessary.
        &quot;Gun control is the policy of tyrants&quot;
        Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Originally posted by amfpinboy:
          When the common side welded nut breaks off, I use a special tool that we made up years ago. It's a three foot metal bar with a 9/16 wrench (open end) welded to the end of the bar. You put a piece of duct tape on the wrench and put a flat washer on the bolt and then stick the nut in the wrench and tighten up the cushion block.
          The box is painted silver to make others aware that the welded nut is no longer in use.
          There's usually enough room at the diamond plate to look at the operation as you move the bar around from the split in the two machines.
          This way you don't have to weld in the mach and it's very quick. And it comes apart if necessary.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We do the same thing. Very easy and quick.

Mike
          Mike

Comment

Put a Vantage quick release cushion block on every opposite ball door kickback.....Fixed.

Good work Grasshopper.

Comment

[/qb][/QUOTE]What if the cushion box breaks or cracks?? Sounds like you will have to grind it off and reweld a new one on. I think you are better off with a different solution. [/QB][/QUOTE]
              I weld the block on all three sides were the bolts are supposed to go, there is not a chance that thing will break. I've been running 3 machines this way for a year now. Before I did this mod I tried the wrenck on a pipe trick. I would have to tighten/replace those bolts almost every week. No trouble after the mod. If you like what you here maby it will work for you.
              There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Table Head:
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What if the cushion box breaks or cracks?? Sounds like you will have to grind it off and reweld a new one on. I think you are better off with a different solution. [/QB][/QUOTE]
                I weld the block on all three sides were the bolts are supposed to go, there is not a chance that thing will break. I've been running 3 machines this way for a year now. Before I did this mod I tried the wrenck on a pipe trick. I would have to tighten/replace those bolts almost every week. No trouble after the mod. If you like what you here maby it will work for you. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I always use grade 8 bolts with lockwashers. Rarely does one come loose.

I recently had a lane that the inner welded nuts were not welded anymore.(of course it was on an even lane) I got a 2' piece of conduit and hamered a 9/16 open end wrench into one end. It took about 1/2 hour to replace the cushion box. I would rather do that than weld them on.

Comment

I never had a box come loose after we used the long 9/16 bar wrench method. There was a BCA house that welded all the small plows to the machine. He thought the plows broke because they loosened up and cracked. Well a year later they had to come in with grinders and remove the plow ears. Lots of labor wasted.
                  Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Originally posted by amfpinboy:
                    I never had a box come loose after we used the long 9/16 bar wrench method. There was a BCA house that welded all the small plows to the machine. He thought the plows broke because they loosened up and cracked. Well a year later they had to come in with grinders and remove the plow ears. Lots of labor wasted.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is also what we use. It has a longer handle for 30's. Only had about 4 or 5 of these to go in several years. They are still hanging in there. My machine are so close together that we have to remove the catwalk in order to get the wrench inside.

If you are in an old center be careful of welding in the machines. The old lacquer they use to refinish the lanes with was usually spilled over the tail plank and dried up on the slab. This is still as flammable as it was fresh out of the can and doesn't take much to ignite it.

Comment

That's the tool. Years ago I tried to use the "nut-sert" insert nut. You drilled out the broken hole to 9/16 and squeezed a nut-sert into the hole. It looked good, but they loosened up so we went back to the grade #8 nut and bolt.
                      Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

I used one that was made from a 9/16" wrench stub welded to a flat bar. Could get into the narrowest spaces with it.
                        -- Larry

Comment

Ditto on the 9/16" wrench and long bar, been using it for years.

As AMF Pinboy sez, nutserts work great too.

You can always pull the backend out and reweld a nut on the kickback, its not that difficult.

Another trick I've been using for the diamond plate step bolts is a shuttle tube with a 1/2" socket bolted or welded on the end.

If a diamond plate bolt breaks off in the nut, punch the nut through, put a new nut in the socket and sneak it up the middle of the BE till it lines up, put in a new bolt.

Got a picture, anyone want to post it, e-mail me Jisbell@amf.com

Tricks are cool, keep posting them!

John
                          Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
                          804-240-4982

Comment

The outside dimension on a 3/8's nut is about .635, that is point to point. I drill a 19/32 or 39/64's, then counter sink, put a bolt in the nut and tap it in with a hammer so it is about flush with the plate, weld all the way around the nut to fill in the counter sink, let it cool and remove the bolt and grind flush. As long as there is good penetration between the nut and the plate, it will not break out.
                            Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

No welder, for insurance reasons. You can use a drill and diegrinder to cut a keyhole slot in the kickback. Always use grade 8 h'ware. Assemble the block's "keyhole" hole with bolt, a nonlocking nut and a lock washer. An impact wrench will tighten this up. It works in reverse too.
                              Go Pirates

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X