Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectrum owners

Well, the Spectrums are about 20 years old now. Do you notice the squealing coming from the blower motor? Hard to believe that those little bearing have lasted that long. I am starting to pull the motors and replace the bearings. I tried to repack them but they are sealed and its hard to get the cover off, and even if you do it bends the seal and is a bear to get back on.

I went searching through the Grainger catalog, and Im 99% sure that I found the correct bearing. Part # 1L001.....$7.81 each.

Re: Spectrum owners

IF it is a "R" series bearing you can find them for between $6-8 dollars each.....I get out fan bearings from motion industries.
    Peanut

Comment

Mike, I don't have them anymore, but have heard them squealing in other centers. That is a noice that is very, disturbing.

I would buy a spare fan and just swap them and rebuild them in the shop.

Just like the West motor stators I would service Spectrums airflow tunnels twice a year. Those fans were the best part of the lift. Didn't care for the #4 althread on the grill.
      Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Didn't care for the #4 althread on the grill. Replaced them with wire ties.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Stalker:
          Didn't care for the #4 althread on the grill. Replaced them with wire ties.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good Idea Mike. When my grills get clogged I use a bent coat hanger to fish out the dust, works real good.

Comment

I got them from Grainger also. 1L001 sounds familiar, but I don't have the book with me. So far, they are holding up great.

While we are on the subject of Spectrums- has anyone come up with a way to make your own tire assembly? AMF's current version is crap. The shaft breaks out of the hub after 30 days. Vantage makes an excellent tire and hub assembly but at $320 a piece, they're a little pricey. I bought a tire and tube from grainger and put it on a rim but the outside diameter of the tire is slightly smaller and you can't get enough belt tension.

Pete

Comment

The AMF Spectrum line of equipment including Ball Returns, Seating, Sierra and Tempo Masking Units and Accuscore 1 were introduced in December 1983 and the first installation was in Florida in March 1984. Quite possibly, the Spectrum Ball Return holds the industry record for retrofits. Seems like it was yesterday. Hard to believe 21 years have passed!

Comment

they are a little pricy on parts though. The leatherstraps on mine are oil soaked. I cant get them clean any more. Has anybody tried them without the strap.
                SGT
                U.S. Army/AVN
                Retired

Comment

The problem I keep running into with the Spectrums, are the hubs. I have trouble with the inside of the hub and the key being worn so bad the hub just spins on the shaft. If anyone can point me to a few of the center hubs, less the tire and rim assembly, I'd be a happy camper. The Vantage replacement is pricy, I can get the shafts, bearings, tires, just need something to take place of the center hub.

Comment

A gear, something with a cog or something with splines would have been nice. All the torque is put on the key.

Comment

I use the AMF one piece tire assy. I havent had any trouble with the hub breaking. I almost have all 24 lanes with the single piece tire. If you are having trouble breaking the hubs it is possible that the power lift is too low. When the ball is 3/4 of the way up the lift the rubber bumper should not raise more than 1/4". If it does raise more than 1/4", add washers. You will also break the ears that the bumpers mount to if it raises too far.

Comment

To all those Centers out there with Spectrums, I give you my COMMISERATIONS.

Worlds worst Ball Return. Glad I don't have them anymore.

Frank.
                        always doing my best.

Comment

Carl from AMF called me today. Seems that the shaft wasn't being welded in properly. The last time I bought tires was about 5 years ago. I looked at those and there was a nice weld all the way around the shaft. The one's I've been having problems with only have 4 spot welds on each side. He said all the tires had been pulled from stock and are being welded properly.

Another question- has anyone tried the lift belts from Vantage and what do you think about them?

Thanks, Pete

Comment

I love the Vantage belts. Have a couple running for three years now with no problems. The inside of the belt does not deteriorate like the AMF belts do. Also has a tacky surface to grab the balls.
                            Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by willey:
                              To all those Centers out there with Spectrums, I give you my COMMISERATIONS.

Worlds worst Ball Return. Glad I don't have them anymore.

Frank.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah... I never cared for them, either. To each his own, though... people say the same thing about my shur-piks, but we think they're just fine.

I do have a wheelbarrow that has a Spectrum tire on it... works very well. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                              <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X