Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B/E motor and ssss

I have Nat's. on my back ends, is it possible to run a Quality SSSS type on it? If so does anyone have wiring instuctions for it? I usally use the orange ball from Luis Electric, but since it's summer and we have no cash flow here I thought I'd try something new.
    There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Re: B/E motor and ssss

Yeah I use the Quality SSSS on my BE nationals. The part number is A-110-663-510 and the wiring instructions come with it. Really simple install.

Comment

question: nat be motor with lewus ss, motor only hums and rotates slow, turns freely by hand. i recently replaced a centrifugal mech that flew apart and destroyed the original ss. i replaced it with a lewus, checked my wiring per the instructions, and all i can get it to do is hum and turn slowly. did i mis-wire it? why is it doing this?

Comment

sounds like you got the run and start windings back to front
        i don't need mods, i am a bloody genius

Comment

Originally posted by TABLEJAM:
          question: nat be motor with lewus ss, motor only hums and rotates slow, turns freely by hand. i recently replaced a centrifugal mech that flew apart and destroyed the original ss. i replaced it with a lewus, checked my wiring per the instructions, and all i can get it to do is hum and turn slowly. did i mis-wire it? why is it doing this?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Have you adjusted the set screw at the bottom of the cylinder? Adjust screw in 1/4 turn at a time until it starts up. Also verify that the capacitor is good.
          "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Tablejam,

Kat has probably nailed it. I say probably, because I have gotten a few bad ones.

The way I adjust them is to turn them in ¼ turn in until it just starts. Then I continue turning in ¼ turn at a time until the motor is making a grinding noise (this indicates the start windings are not being removed from the circuit). Keep track of the number of turns and split the difference from start to grinding.

Very important note…do not make adjustments while motor is running. Make adjustment run motor, turn off make another adjustment…and so on.

Triac

Comment

Table Head,

The Quality SS work fine…I myself prefer the Lewus SS as they seem to last longer and can be placed upside down inside the motor to prevent getting smashed by DJ’s.

Triac

Comment

I too prefer the lewus SS. I haven't had one of those go out ever and I've had them on for a year now.
                There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by triac:
                  Table Head,

The Quality SS work fine…I myself prefer the Lewus SS as they seem to last longer and can be placed upside down inside the motor to prevent getting smashed by DJ’s.

Triac
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I mount mine in the BE control boxes using a terminal strip and 3 conductor SJO cord to the motor (Hot, Neutral, Start). This guarantees me no damage from anything--namely careless help.
                  "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

I dont feel it is necessary to install SSSS on National B.E. motors. Combos, its a great investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch Plate:
                      I dont feel it is necessary to install SSSS on National B.E. motors. Combos, its a great investment.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with what you are saying. The centrifugal lasts many times longer in the BE than in the Combos.

I would never change one out just for the sake of doing it. But if one goes out, I will convert it because of the cost of a new one (compared to the conversion) and the reliability of the SSSS that has proven itself in the Combos.

JMO,
                      Triac

Comment

Originally posted by triac:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Clutch Plate:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with what you are saying. The centrifugal lasts many times longer in the BE than in the Combos.

I would never change one out just for the sake of doing it. But if one goes out, I will convert it because of the cost of a new one (compared to the conversion) and the reliability of the SSSS that has proven itself in the Combos.

JMO,
                        Triac
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Triac, you are 100% correct. If any motor is having mechanical difficulties, install solid state.

Comment

I've tried 2 known good SS and tried adjusting it but I still get the same result, slow rotation. I've benched it for a while as I already have a spare so I haven't really got into it yet. But I'm curious to know why it is doing this? Is it the motor or a mistake on my part? I double-checked my wiring with each switch- I must have missed something. The motor did run perfectly until the original mech flew apart so I'm figuring it's just an issue with the start switch I'm trying to use. Did not see any obvious problems with any wires and both capacitors I tried check out ok. I know there is a reason it's doing this, just don't know why. Thanks for any input.

Comment

Table Jam, I'm not too sure about the Quality ssss, but I know that ours need to be put into the start winding circuit in a different place than the mechanical switch.

The mechanical switch lies between the two start windings of the National BE motor. The ssss has to be at the capacitor end of the circuit - so you break into the wiring there and actually join the wires together where the mechanical switch was removed from.

The above is true for the Cybernetic ssss, so I am assuming the same is true for the Quality and other brands too.

Ray
                            Ray Jordan
                            Cybernetic Solutions/tenpintec
                            Australia

Comment

Thanks Ray, it is a Lewus (orange cylidrical looking thing) start switch, I'm thinking it's wired wrong, try to investigate it more this week tho I'm really gonna be busy.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X