Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Pin Through the Shuttle

Does anyone have an answer for the headpin sliding through the shutle down into the table? The pin seems to stand up somewhat verticle on the way down and get itself through. The shuttle adjustment at the back is correct. All parts are good. Pics are always helpful.

Re: Head Pin Through the Shuttle

We had that problem from the head pin in the second rack not laying flat and square to the lower one on the pin holders... When the machine would shuttle, the upper pin would kick toward the rear of the machine, then would kind of 'hop up' and fall through.

Make sure the distributor is centered on the #1 bin rail guides first of all... if it's swung too far right or left, it'll cause pins to lay crooked in the second set. Sometimes all you need to make this stop is a distributor linear spring stretched between the pin guides to the front and back of the #1 bin. All it does is slightly slow the pin down when it falls into place on the shuttle, and keeps it better aligned to the pin guides.

I've seen guys install 'funnels' on the #1 bin to help guide the pin and keep it laying straight... that also works, but requires riveting parts on to the bin.
    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Make sure your distributor height adjustment is not too high over the bin, if it is it can cause the 1 pins to have too much speed coming into the bin slot causing it to hit the butt plate and stand up or shoot through the bin.

Some mechanics will lower the 1 pin tracks down in the back by 1" to reduce pin speed, but this can cause pin damage in many cases.
      Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
      804-240-4982

Comment

Originally posted by John Isbell:

Some mechanics will lower the 1 pin tracks down in the back by 1" to reduce pin speed, but this can cause pin damage in many cases.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Because of the pin damage potential, we raised all of our #1 chute rails in the front. This way the pin slides into the bin pocket flat. At the end of the rails, the pin falls "flat" into the pocket just like any other position.
        "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

The two pin guide shute rails must be parallel to each other. If the guide rail roller wheels are more open at the lower end, the pin will stand up and drop through (while being delivered) as the table is spotting. Run the table down and feed some wood out to the head pin.
          &quot;Gun control is the policy of tyrants&quot;
          Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Other things to try

Put washers on the last two rollers. (makes the pin drop a little farther out) Also helps index the trip lever.

Make sure there is a strap across the shuttle rails. (keeps rails from bowing)

Play with the shuttle adjustment. (set the shuttle back alittle more) the book is just a starting point.
            Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

I took off all of the rollers except the bottom two and those two I changed to stationary ones the same size as the rollers. They are made of glass filled nylon so they don't wear out. You can stack the pins three high and they settle in nice and gently because the nylon knobs offer resistance. Be sure to file any burrs off esp. the top of the 5 pin butt spacer. I have yet to have a problem.
              Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Take off all the rollers.

Use ball track plastic for rails instead.

You only need to cover the 1st 3 holes toward the distributor.

The pin cannot fall through prematurely.

Comment

Distributor height is the primary cause also check your alignment as stated above [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img] i hate those plastic rail things everwhere i go i rip them off [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

How high is the distributor from the bin? Is this adjustment changed at te base of the dist?

Comment

Originally posted by AMFcat:
                      How high is the distributor from the bin? Is this adjustment changed at te base of the dist?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I raised the front of ours by adding a couple washers under the 2 spacers/bolts at the front of the distributor support where it meets the crossbeam... doesn't take much... 1 or 2 washers will raise the front of the dist. about 1/2"
                      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Ensure that the rubber bumpers on the pin butt guide are in tact and not damaged.
                        If the distributor belt is too short this will stop the ditributor from feeding the head pin into its bin location correctly. It can cause the pin to stall. When shuttling the pin will stand up in the bin and eventually cause it to either go through into the table or not to shuttle at all, leading to out of sequence and pile up.
                        Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

another thing we used to do when I was doing installations for AMF back in the 80's was carefully spread the indexing fingers on the end of the distributor apart just a little. this will also slow the pin feeding into the #1 and also helps feeding at all other pin locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat:
                            Because of the pin damage potential, we raised all of our #1 chute rails in the front. This way the pin slides into the bin pocket flat. At the end of the rails, the pin falls "flat" into the pocket just like any other position.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I took that one step further and shifted the rails back towards the distributor. It cut the gap between the rails and the trip arms, creating a smoother transfer between them.
                            -- Larry

Comment

Also.... I didn't see anyone mention it above...

Make sure the pin holders in the shuttle are not worn.
                              -- Larry

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X