Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor removing tool

I've read in some posts that there is a tool for removing motors (national) that are hard to get off gearboxes that doesn't bend shafts. What does it look like, how does it work, who makes it?

Thanks.

Re: Motor removing tool

The tool is just a jig that with allthread, allows you to seperate the motor from the gearbox.

But, as carefully as you can bwecause you can still bend the rotor shaft.

Not sure who designed it but Stahl's Seventys sells it. Worth the money, and once you get it apart and rebuilt, antisiez that shaft before you reinstall.
    Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

You can seperate the head from the gearbox by removing the bolts and rotate the motor head by tapping the head a few degrees around. Move it enough to cover the gearbox bolt holes. Then screw the bolts up through the bottom of the gearbox holes and PUSH the head up. It's like a built in wheel puller. You can only use two bolts to to this, because you can't get at the back bolt. Use a large screw driver in that area to keep the head even as it comes out. Use plenty of PB Blaster or WD#40. It's a good thing.
      "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
      Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

AMFpinboy is correct, you can do this. However unless you are in the business of regular maintenance, get the jig.

If you get one that is rusted then the bolts are not long enough. Once you have pulled and cleaned and reinstalled with anti-sieze on the couplers, then it is cake. Get a motor head halfway out and it gets stuck, not to mention you are by yourself. You compromise the shaft if you leave it hanging.

I made a jig to bolt my Nat BE Gearboxes to so I could put the jig in the vise and the motor head would face upright while I removed it.

Comment

I think we might have one of those, not sure what it looks like. Can someone post a pic?

Comment

You can also tap the holes on the motor flange. I believe it would be 7/16-14. That way you can use all three of the holes. I use a 6" scale and measure so I don't exceed 1/32nd. of an inch at any givin point to prevent bending the shaft.
            Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Brunsamf: are those hole on the motor flange ready to be tapped out as they are or chased with a different sized bit?

How and where do you place the 6" scale; sometimes a 32nd is hard to see especially on a rule.

Comment

Mike; I believe the clearance hole on the flange is 13/32 so you won't get 75% thread but it is enough so the bolt won't strip the flange. I guess you don't have to use a scale but a machinist chrome clad scale is easy to read because it is not shiny like a cheap scale is. A Starret C309R is the one I used when I was in the machine shop. Just pick three different spots a third of the way around the motor to measure from if you wish to do it that way. Bill
                Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                Working...
                X