Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 30 or 82 70?

We are getting ready to buy an alley with 82-30's just looking for some input, should we upgrade to 70's or can I get the 30's to work just as well?

Re: 82 30 or 82 70?

If the 30's there are in good condition, been well maintained, and you have a good 82/30 mechanic on hand, then stick with them for now.

If they aren't in good shape then it might be better to look into replacing them with some reconditioned 82/70's, 70XL's, or 90XL's.
    -- Larry

Comment

I agree. 30's in decent shape are workhorses. Bad shape, switch 'em to 70's.
      I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

I have some of them work horses they are refering too for sale if you need some extras. Getting rid of the 30's and putting in 70xli's

Drill
        Drill

David Bolt
        Champaign, IL
        USBC Silver Coach
        IBPSIA BOD
        IBPSIA Advanced
        Technical Certified
        Pro Shops

Comment

30's are absolute tanks if well maintained, as said if they're badly hurting then go with the 70's
          All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

I agree with the guys. Maintained 30's are great. But if they are in sad shape, a nightmare.
            But I would go for 70's if I was starting from scratch.
            Daniel Hart
            Bear, DE

*If its still not working, you need a bigger hammer*

Comment

82-30's are a great work horse but a lot of them have been let go so badly that it is very expensive to bring them back to life. The best thing that you can do is to hire a service tech to come in and evaluate your equipment and help you make a decision. It will probably cost you a few hundred dollars but if you are not sure of what kind of shape the equipment is in you will be doing yourself a favor.
              If you have any specific questions post them on the 82-30 section and you will get all of the help we can muster.
              WELCOME TO BOWLTECH !!
              [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

30’s are an excellent machine. Even a neglected one can be brought back to life at a reasonable cost if you can find some used ones for parts.

The best upgrades in my opinion, is converting the stepper to solid state and the ball lifts to PBL’s. These two upgrades alone will significantly prevent a ton of headaches.

Two of the biggest problems/concerns (besides the above upgrades not done):

1.) With today’s massive amounts of oil, the RSC’s do not have near the range for off spots as the 70/90. They can easily get damaged from flying pins and OOR’s even though the blackout switches are operational.

2.) The machine is a little more difficult to learn for the newbies and finding a good 30 mech can be quite a challenge.

Triac

Comment

Just by coincidence there is a 10 lane house being dismantled within the next few weeks. It is where I learned to bowl and I worked there as a kid in the mid 60's. The place opened in the 50's and is a true bowling ALLEY. I talked to the new owner of the building just today and it turns out his father who is deceased, I knew since I was 4 yrs. old. It is a basement bowling alley with an auto parts store above. To make a long story short, I will meet him there wed.the 8th. to take pictures and video's and hopefully the manual or at least pictures of it. These are 4400's and in good shape. I mentioned Bowl Tech and he mentioned selling them and posting on BT. These are truly vintage and have a closed pin wheel. They have the old big steel box chassis with stepper boxes and as I remember, an electron tube and a row of fiber cams. They do have updated ball lifts with kickers and of course over lane returns. I will ask someone to host the pic's and video for me. I will keep you posted. Navarre Lanes, Navarre Minnesota.-- three miles from my house!
                  Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

I agree with you Triac!! PBLs (or Humpies) and Omega Tek chassis will get rid of 85% of the calls on a 30. A respot cell can be a pain, but they can be changed quickly and usually made to work. They will run with only one side track. Personally, I would rather have 1 RSC giving trouble than have 9 others that won't work because of the 1. And the 70 distributor sucks. Just my opinion.
                    Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Ten Pin Alley, the key here is if you can get a good 30 man. They are a little harder to learn than a 70, but if you have the right man than the cost of getting them up to scratch, even if they are running badly, will be much cheaper than the cost of buying and replacing them with 70's.

The only downside of a 30 is the SWEEP, it would be good if thier was an idea to stop the things coming off the rails. Other than that, the 30 Distributer can out perform a 70 if it is looked after, if they have PBL than this is the best Ball Return system I have ever seen, even the Chassis without omega Tecs are simple to repair and don't have anything other than the occasional contactor burnout.

So you asked the Question, but if you have plenty of money than the 70 is a far better option, I have worked on 30's for many years, but I know it is far easier to work on a 70, in fact you have a hard time finding things to fix.

Frank.
                      always doing my best.

Comment

i agree, been on 30's a long time now. There are lots of little things that can cause the apperent same problem so getting to know the machines nuances is tricky. BUt in general without the sweep hits and the out of ranges are a bloody strong reliable machine, just keep on greasing...

kev
                        If Wile E coyote has enough money to by all that Acme crap why doesnt he buy his dinner?

Comment

Thanks to you all for your input. It's nice to know there is a forum for newbies like me to come to and ask questions. I've been around bowling my whole life, but I'm new to the inner workings of the actual centers. Hopefully with some help from people like you I can become the help for newbies in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by TenPinAlley:
                            Thanks to you all for your input. It's nice to know there is a forum for newbies like me to come to and ask questions. I've been around bowling my whole life, but I'm new to the inner workings of the actual centers. Hopefully with some help from people like you I can become the help for newbies in the future.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Welcome! The folks here at Bowl-Tech are great! Stick around and you'll learn a lot. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                            * this space left blank intentionally *

Comment

Stick around! These guys will keep you WELL informed!
                              Welcome! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Jon [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]
                              I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X