Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Respot / Bellcrank Stop Block

AMF Tech told us to make sure the Stop Respot 070 002 702 was in place before adjusting respot cells.After buying the stop blocks to put them in all my machines the old mechanic said they took them out and tossed them. Other mechanics have also told me they are not neccessary. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of using them and not using them?
    Well we're safe for now. Thank God we're in a Bowling Center.

Re: Stop Respot / Bellcrank Stop Block

i live by this 1 rule

they put it there for a reason, who am i to question why

i run mine, and i do my adjustments by the book and everything works fine

so my pro towards this is, it is easier to keep the machine standard so you can teach people how to do the right adjustment, which means whenever your not around they can refer to the book

the con, well i have never bent or broken the small respot rod, and i know so many people have
    i don't need mods, i am a bloody genius

Comment

without them there is to much play, I had some respot problems, found out it was missing the stop. put them in tighten up the respot asy, no more problems

Comment

There must be more people with comments on this one. How about some input.

Comment

When I purchased my center there were no stop pads on any machine. I rebuilt the machines with the stop pads and adjusted as the book said. Without the stop pads in, things had been adjusted accordingly and this made the adjustments in the book useless. The machines run great with these stop pads in place and we rarely have any problems. It seemed like without the pads in, some of the linkages were adjusted out so far they were sloppy and nearly ready to come apart. One thing that does happen is the pads will pop off on occasion. You may want to add them to your list of things to check before adjusting something.
          Acta non verba.
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Plunke...71383456227142

Comment

Alot of mechanic do lots of rigging. To get through a league or tournament yes, but after fix it right. I would hate to see how these machine run. Stop pads are one of many. No way you get a constant respot without them.

Comment

Not hard to install,so why would anybody want to adjust respot cells without it? You have to have a good starting point,without the block you dont get the proper feel and it also helps with all the other steps you need to complete,so when you are finished you know your cells will pick up pins and open up properly with the least amount of play in the fingers especially the #7 cell.Feliz Dia.

Comment

The machines respot great (probably been 10 years without them). Obviously none of the mechanics that throw them away post in this forum. Only had 1 lane that after adjusting had to put the stop block in for proper adjustment so it set me to wondering why they were all gone. I guess I'll put the ones that I had planned on putting back in on now.

Comment

I believe in keeping machine as virgin as possible. But as machines get old, things change. Renewing things properly will always get you back on track. However, many have not been able to get the proper #7 cell adjustment with the stop in. Leaving the carb link at 3-1/16", sometimes the adjusyment screw on the bell crank is all the way in and you still need to open the cell a little more.
                  Here's what I've found:
                  That stop block was often not "square" to the bell crank casting, and the casting would hit the stop at the corner. Take a 7/16" open end wrench and turn the stop so that its face is parallel to the flat part of the bell crank casting. If you still need more room, you can replace the stop with one that has been ground down about 1/8" thinner.
                  Removing the stop block works OK, but only if you turn the screw around so you can adjust it against the side of the table casting (jam nut on the inside, or a longer set screw). Do not just simply leave it out and eliminate this adjustment.

Comment

Thanks BowlEquip. That is the information that I wanted to know. I had to know why other mechanics were throwing them in the trash. Learning sometimes requires the why question to sastisfy your search for understanding.

Comment

Jere,

The original function of the stop bolt and block was to set the 1/4" freeplay of the cell open adjustment, you would back the stop bolt out, set your 7 cell fully open against the stops, then adjust the stop bolt in to obtail the freeplay.
                      This also protects the cell mechanism from extra stress when opening.

Since most machines have 2 threads of the stop bolt protruding out of the bellcrank, I opt to leave it alone and set the master link for the 7 cell to obtain the freeplay, this is a bit of a shortcut, but you will notice that the stop bolt is against the block when you do this.

I run into many machine where the stop block broke and was never replaced, I carry a handful with me, If you do not have the right part you can do a temp fix by running 3 1/4-20 nuts up on a bolt, put it through the hole in the table and secure with a nut from the bottom.

Keep Fishin!
                      Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
                      804-240-4982

Comment

John,

Thanks for the information. I still adjust it the way you taught us. I am always trying to make sure all the parts are on and where they belong.

No time to fish but the dolphins are in town and make a great sandwich ( blackened or grilled).

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                        Working...
                        X