Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pit Motor relays

How many of you guys have double up on the c1 pins for the BE relay? Our house was done before I even started there. Does it really make a difference in the amount of pins that would get burned?

Wang

Re: Pit Motor relays

goto the gold plated pins in your c1 plug

they are worth the investment, they rarely fail, and if they do, it usually because something has had a major issue
    i don't need mods, i am a bloody genius

Comment

I have seen many modifications to the backend motor circuit none of which are nessesary as craig said gold pins are well worth the extra cost they will pay for themselves in time

Comment

Doubled up + Gold = Piece of mind.

Never hurts to have the extra reliability as long as the cost justifies the means. As stated, the gold pins are almost as reliable as doubling up the nickel ones. However, if they are already doubled up, it wont hurt to replace both with gold when needed.

The biggest problem with the C1 pins, is that a lot of mechanics only replace the ones on the chassis and not on the machine. Whenever I replace any pins on the chassis, the machine will get their counterparts replaced on the machine.

Triac

Comment

Add a 110V hi-current relay to the backend control box, connect the motor directly to voltage thru the relay contacts, and use the existing voltage from the C1 to the backend mtr. to power the relay coil.

99.8% guaranteed you will never burn up, and possibly never need to change, a C1 backend mtr pin or socket again... and there is very little in the way of rewiring needed.

With the price of those AMP pins and plug bodies, and the time needed to service the C-plug, the relays will pay for themselves.
          <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Hey G;
            How about some pics with that forty dollar camera?
            If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

Great idea Gman..

Have a couple of questions..

Where are you picking up the 110v to run the motor,russell stole plug?

Part number of relay?

Thanks

Comment

On our machines, many years ago, the BE relay was moved from the chassis to the BE control box.

The coil was wired in series with the existing pit switch (24V) and the contacts simply switched the motor wires that also run through the control box. This meant no extra wires to run - everything was in the BE control box. The supply wires that used to run through the C1 plug were bypassed in the wireway.

It worked fine like that for years. It was also handy to not have to climb up and kick the chassis to make the relay turn off from time to time - instead we could just whack the BE control box (I am not condoning this behaviour [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] ).

A disadvantage of having them in the BE control box is that if they fail, you lose the machine until it's fixed - i.e. you can't swap the chassis to fix the problem.

Our subsequent head tech wasn't a fan of it, and decided to move them back and doubled up the C1 pins instead - which has been just as reliable, probably more so.

So all in all I prefer them in the chassis (with extra, high quality pins).

An interesting story is that in the years that the relays were in the BE control box, we had installed LED ball and gripper indicators into the chassis and mounted them in the screw holes where the BE relay used to be. So when we moved the relays back to the chassis, we couldn't mount them in their original spot. We ended up mounting them where the auxillary boards used to be (which we had removed and destroyed in an act of vengeful self-indulgence). So much for 'no mods'. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Andrew.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew:

A disadvantage of having them in the BE control box is that if they fail, you lose the machine until it's fixed - i.e. you can't swap the chassis to fix the problem.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This can be overcome by using an ice cube relay (Like M, M2, S) and an 11 pin socket instead of the OEM BE relay. When it takes a crap, just plug in a new relay. I suggest the 11 pin relays (even though it is overkill) to keep the relays consistent across the center and with the others like the M, M2, and S. If you like, you could just use a smaller DPDT with an 8 pin orbital socket instead of the 3PDT which the others use.
                  "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

To keep running for the night, you could always plug the motor into any wall outlet, with a proper adaptor cord, depending on your BE motor's plug arrangement.

Comment

Andrew, if I remember right, it was your current head tech's older brother who did the original mod, probably about ...(hmmm, let me think)... 15 years ago I guess. I actually like Kat's idea with the 11 pin relay and low voltage through the C1 plug terminals.

Ray
                      Ray Jordan
                      Cybernetic Solutions/tenpintec
                      Australia

Comment

Bowl equip thats ok if your wall outlet is 110v
                        i would hate someone to read that and try it
                        for example in Australia our supply voltage is 240v 50hz and most of the machines are 110/115v
                        most centres outside the US would need a transformer

Comment

On all 82-70 machines I have seen, there is at least one 110V outlet on the trouble call/pit signal box at the rear between the pair of machines.

Ray
                          Ray Jordan
                          Cybernetic Solutions/tenpintec
                          Australia

Comment

Originally posted by rrev:
                            On all 82-70 machines I have seen, there is at least one 110V outlet on the trouble call/pit signal box at the rear between the pair of machines.

Ray
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That’s strange Ray…Most 70 houses I’ve seen don’t even have the trouble call/pit signal boxes installed. Maybe it’s a US thing.

Back to the topic….

I’ve never been a fan of moving the BE circuit to the mechanics control box. Just one more thing to confuse the staff. Although, if one were to do it, Kats advice is solid.

Alls I can say, if both the male and female pins are changed together with the gold (or changed &amp; doubled up)….you will go many years before they get burnt enough to cause problems. Got some over 5 years old that don’t even have a speckle of burnt on them.

Also, I believe in having an emergency BE motor cord made up just incase. Other things can cause no BE motor besides the chassis and pins.

Triac

Comment

That’s strange Ray…Most 70 houses I’ve seen don’t even have the trouble call/pit signal boxes installed. Maybe it’s a US thing.

We like our pit signal boxes. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

<span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X