Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak Carpet??

I installed a carpet last week,replaced a pit support also.Sprayed both rollers and carpet with some good belt dressing(sticky).Carpet started up right away and was very strong.But a week later you can stop the carpet with your foot.And start up is very slow now....like its still breaking in.Is that what its doing after the dressing has worn off?...never had this happen before [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Weak Carpet??

the carpet drive belt or the tensioner spring?

Comment

It could be possible that the dressing has gone 'slimey' and is causing the rear roller to spin without gripping the carpet.

I would recommend cleaning off the dressing and make sure you front roller supports are moving freeley. If they are binding you will have no carpet tension.

When I install a new carpet I like to rough up the surface of the rear roller using an old wood saw by 'combing' horizontal lines into the rear roller. Its not as brutal as it sounds!! I also know of a couple of guys who use traction tape to help the carpets start up when thier new.
      I'm Brian and so is my wife.......

http://www.badassbowling.com

Comment

This seems to be a common problem according to a mechanic I know who has his own business and has 15 or so accounts. I have found that using a 4 or 4-1/2" grinder with a hard disk will solve the problem, or at least help. By moving the grinder rapidly over the entire roller with an irregular pattern will 'rough up' the roller so it will grip the carpet. Also, I have found the the previous mechanic liked to "over" pump grease into the front roller links so it falls onto the carpet compounding the problem. Also I could never figure out why these guys like to pop the seals off the roller bearings and jam them full of grease. All it does is make a mess and ruin the half moon rubber bearing cups.
        Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

was it a new carpet or same? I have never had a dressing work......!!!!!!! you will have to clean the dressing off and trash the carpet. I have used almost all of the carpets out thier and i am stund that anyone would grind a roller to get it to work??? OK ARE YOU USING VANTAGE CARPWETS??? they do soak oil up and state to slip but then all you need to do is trash them thier crap been thier wont do it ever vantage sucks on carpets never ever will i use them ever!!!!!

Comment

30 Chief:

I disagree. The Vantage Premiums are one of the best. They install very easily, but yes, the do stall sometimes on startup. I usually just leave the machine run a couple of hours to break in and they run fine after that. The worst carpet right now has to be the Pumpkins from AMF; they get stiff after a few months by the ball exit area (from oil?) and hold up lightweight balls.
            Carpets should be laid out a day before installing so it can fold out to its relaxed state. Also front roller spring tension should be sufficient, so make sure the springs aren't weak, and the supports pivot very freely. If they get gummed up, the carpet will pull back the supports, but since the gunk over powers spring tension, the carpet develops slack and stalls. Just my opinion (which isn't saying much).
            "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

I dont think its the carpet.I think its that stupid belt dressing that I used Which was STP Belt Dressing,in case anyone was curious.Never again.Im going to take out both rollers and clean them real good then try some traction tape on the rear roller.Then see what happens.

Comment

I've never had this problem. I put the new one in, keep it turning with my foot for about 5 minutes and then when it'll run by itself, I put all 21 pins in the pit and let it run like that for 15 minutes or so. I've never used any tape or dressing. I'd be afraid of that stuff turning the inside of the belt to "goo" after awhile. I do take them out of the box the night before and let them flatten out a bit though.
                Valkyrie: The American made motorcycle that Harley Davidson WISHES it could build.

Comment

I never did anything to the rollers or use belt dressing. As long as the front roller brackets are moving freely, after installing the carpet it take a couple of mintues the carpet run find. I let mind run for 30 min. before putting it into play.

Comment

The carpet is very stiff and needs break in time.
                    Used stp belt dressing on distributer belt once and gummed up the pins so thats probaly what its done to the carpet.

Comment

I put in small wood blocks between the bounce board frame and the front roller brackets on new carpets. lane patching wood works great, this keeps pressure on the front roller until the carpet breaks in. Also I have all Vantage premium carpets in My 12 laner, and I agree, they soak up oil too fast and the carpets suck.

Comment

We take the carpet out of the box and reverse the folds and stick the carpet back in the box for an hour or so before we install it. The front roller supports are always removed and lubed. The rollers are checked reused without any sprays or sticky stuff. We've been useing the AMF Platinum for about a year and everything seems ok so far. Sometimes you have to give them a push to start, but within an hour they're fine.
                        "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
                        Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Agree with Amfpinboy i don't Grind, Saw, Dress, Tape or use blocks of wood just straighten the thing out and put it we always service the entire pit assemble when it's out

Comment

Amfpinboy and Pulsetech have it right. If your doing the carpet service the lot before putting a new one in. Everything is in good condition. On delivery of a new carpet we always take her out of packaging and twist her round (inside out). I have never had a carpet that did'nt run on her own after a few minutes walking her in (trainee's job)
                            the best tech knows the correct moderation needed when swinging a 2lb lump hammer...... OUCH!

Comment

sounds like your front roller hinges aren't operating properly
                              i don't need mods, i am a bloody genius

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X