Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking BE West Gearboxes

I've got some Westinghouse BE Gearboxes that tend to leak excessively (Big shock there). The problem is after they've been R&R'd with all new seals, gaskets and such, they will run fine for only 3 months or so. Having to remove gearboxes every 3-6 months is BS.
    So, my question is: Has anybody had any luck using any kind of "stop leak" product (i.e. Transmission stop leak, etc.) without any negative results? I'm thinking about placing some kind of these additives to the GB oil when I replace the seals, or even on failing seals as I feel like I'm going around in endless circles trying to combat these oil leaks.
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Re: Leaking BE West Gearboxes

I have GE BE gearboxes and I went thru the same thing. You replace the seals & gaskets, they work for a while, then start leakin again. So now we just fill up the gearboxes back to level as needed and keep cleaning up any drippage. Remember, if its leaking, you know there's still oil in it [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] . Worry when it stops.
    As far as putting some king of stop-leak product in them, I've never thought of that, but it sounds like a good idea. I don't know how it would affect the gears, if at all.

Comment

The reason that I ask is that at an A-2 center I was at, we used to add Tranny Stop Leak to the gearbox to help with leaks.

--Kat

Comment

Kat,

I almost hate to ask.......vent plugs installed?

John
        Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
        804-240-4982

Comment

i use the rtv blue it is good for high temp and hell if it works on a car it should work on gearboxes. you might want to get some good cleaner and maybe even carb cleaner and clean off surfaces and scuff them with steel wool it makes for a better seal.
          When in doubt check at bowl-tech
          When people are around no cursing and throwing things

Comment

Originally posted by John Isbell:
            Kat,

I almost hate to ask.......vent plugs installed?

John
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Of course. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] And, the oil level is definitely not being overfilled; checked that avenue as well. What's your take on this John?

--Kat

Comment

John's question was a little embarrassing huh.

Kat, what type of gear oil are you using would be my next question?

I go to a jobber and have them mix pure mineral oil, SAE 140/600 wgt.
              Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Stalker:
                John's question was a little embarrassing huh.

Kat, what type of gear oil are you using would be my next question?

I go to a jobber and have them mix pure mineral oil, SAE 140/600 wgt.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mike:

I'm using Mobil 600; the replacement for Sohivis J156.

--Kat

Comment

I just replace the seals when I get them from amf, had some on machine for over a yaer no leaking

Comment

When replacing the seals, remember to apply oil to the inner rubber seal where it makes contact with output shaft. If not it will have too much friction and will fail prematurely.

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch Plate:
                      When replacing the seals, remember to apply oil to the inner rubber seal where it makes contact with output shaft. If not it will have too much friction and will fail prematurely.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Clutch,

I do prelube the seals before installing and also make sure any output shafts are free of burrs and place a piece of electrical tape over key ways as not to cause the slightest bit of a tear. On the rotor shaft seal, I double those babies up and really don't have a problem on those that I have doubled up. I think I'm gonna experiment with Transmission stop leak in my worst one out there; hey if it phucks up I'm gonna have to tear it apart anyways. Might as well learn something in the process.

--Kat

Comment

Kat,

Have you tried to offset the seals from the wear point on the shaft? When I do this, I make sure to put silicone on the outside of the seal since it has more of a chance of popping out. As for the gaskets (If they are prone to leaking), I like high temp silicone with copper in it.

I once knew a couple of old timers that used soak the seals. One swears by using transmission fluid and another swore by brake fluid. Never tried either method, but it might help your problem if offsetting them does not work.

Triac

Comment

Posted by Clutch Plate.

Yes I also put a thin layer on the shaft as well..

Lastly, you want to put a layer of silicone on the seal seat and on the outside of the seal. Let these skin up alittle then put on the seal and let it set up. I do not run the moters or even put in oil until the silicone on the seals is cured.
                          Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

I've found that over the life of the motor the output shafts do wear ever so slightly. Try using a double lip seal on the questionable shaft. If you cann't find them, you could put two single lip seals into the same spot. As for sealing up the box I like to use Permatex aircraft quality brown stuff. Once you put it on it almost never leaks again. If you have any trouble finding part numbers for all three West Be motor seals let me know and I'll dig them up.

AMF DOCTOR
                            The doctor makes house calls
                            AMF DOCTOR
                            The doctor makes house calls.
                            http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

Comment

Use 2 Seals.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X