Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket Tester

I have a gutted relay with all the NO contacts that are jumped so that they are all “energized”. It is used for testing the continuity of the 11 pin M, M2 and SP relay sockets. So I got this idea I would like to run across some of you that repair chassis.

Construct a socket tester for 11 pin relays so that the tester would check for burnt pins in the socket without removing the bottom of the chassis. My current setup requires an ohm tester with my modified relay and the bottom removed.

My idea would be to have a gutted relay with 6 LEDs (and of course a battery) that would bench test the NO & NC contacts continuity in the socket. Of course this is just a bench test only, as no power should be going to the chassis. You could go 1 step further and have 2 more LEDs that check the continuity to the coil contacts coming from the C2A & PM plug.

Now anybody with any electronics savvy could build the basic one. It should work pretty well while wiggling to see if any LEDs go out. An even better one would have a circuit built in that would pick up even the smallest resistance that would not light up the LEDs and no wiggling needed. I found a circuit on the web that would do just this, but don’t know if all the components would fit in a standard gutted relay.

Jon, you mentioned in another thread what a PITA it is to check the condition of the sockets. Think this might help?

Any other comments or ideas to testing the sockets? If anybody is interested, I’ll work out a schematic for this basic circuit or someone else can chime in with this or the more sophisticated versions.

Triac

Re: Socket Tester

Market this idea for sale.

Comment

I dont think it would work like you want it to triac. All the wires on the bottom of the socket go somewhere else. For instance m2 6 & 7 go to cb/fuse 1 and ti-primary transformer. To test those sockets you would have to jump the hot and neutral at the russlestoll plug and even then you would be reading through the ti coil. Know what I mean?

It would work better if you made a test relay that had a light go on when voltage hit m2 7 socket. and hit m2 1 socket. etc etc.

Good idea though.

Comment

Ya know JJ, I was just going thru the schematics and have come to the same conclusion as you did. I could get it to work just not as planned.

I have a couple of work arounds that would make the relay socket tester work.

1.) The bottom would need to be removed and a wire wrapped around the bottom of all the terminals to short them together. Then if the contact points of the socket were burnt the LED wouldn’t light.

2.) The bottom would not need to be removed but I would need to make dummy blocks for the C1 & C2A plugs that would have nothing but jumpers as well as another jumper to the BE relay. For example to check the NO 9-11 for the M relay I would need to jump BE#6 to C2A-35U. Your example of M2 6-7 would need a jumper from C1-41C to C1-16Z although the juice is going thru the T1 primary which is 1.5 ohms that should still light the LED.

The only problem I see with my second idea is that anything else that has a bad connection thru the jumped circuit could be misleading to some one that don’t know how to read a schematic.

Thanks for the input guys, anymore ideas?

Triac

Comment

I'm working on a microprocessor desgned test system. It ain't an easy design, but it sure would come in handy! Still trying to figure out the mechanics of the thing. The processor would cycle thru the different conditions of the relay, (relay in the socket) and display the results on a LCD readout. Also it would have to be self contained w/o power being applied to the chassis. This is a kind of confusing design, and I need to have some time to work on it...which I don't seem to have. This design would be based on a Basic Stamp, which I have been fooling around with for awhile. I have a few other ideas for that thing,(like a C2A/C1 connector "verifier") but since the connections are all over the place, it can get confusing...I thought I had that one nailed then I discovered I didn't... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] Oh well, maybe soon....I'll definatly let BT know if I can figger this out! Gotta make it usable w/o a lot of confusing connections...

Jon [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]
          I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

I came to the same conclusion of using the C plug jumper blocks. And yes, some issues arise with having to go through coils (transformer and BE relay), but that's not a big problem.

I also like JJ's idea of having it test when powered up. I'll have to think about that a bit more. Certainly testing coil input voltage is easy (and relays with LEDs on them already exist). Would be nice to include a current measuring circuit and use that to indicate if current was flowing through each contact. Fitting such a circuit in a relay socket will be a challenge. I'll have a look around for something.

Nice idea. Question is really whether it can be done easily enough to make it worth it (the wiggle test that I usually employ is rather easy and completely free [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] ).

Cheers,
            Andrew.

Comment

Yep, the wiggle test is effective & CHEAP! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
              I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

I too use the wiggle method (very effective) [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] …

Problem is, got teach my mechanics to wiggle and not hammer and kick.

Wiggling sometimes help locating an intermittent problem, but not always. If it were that easy, the B-mechs would be Heads… [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

I figure my simple socket tester (& yes it will be wiggleable) would be pretty cheap (6 LEDs & a battery…got the rest) and should speed up testing the sockets.

Testing them is bad enough changing them for the heck of it is worse.

Triac

Comment

bumping this post..I got to thinking about an inline monitor. sits on the bin, upper left corner plugs into the chassis and the machine plugs into the back left corner. then you can monitor signals and voltages passing through all of the c pins. Via a meter or leds
                  Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

I thought wiggilometry was the applied industry standard for this type of problem? Very interested in Jon's tester, have used and programmed for that type of technology before. I feel that it would be nice to have a uP controlled tester. Something of great worth when worked out.
                    Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...
                    Working...
                    X