Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greasing carpet roller bearings

It seems that in my neck of the woods that many mechanics pop the seals out of the rollers, front and rear and pack them full of grease when they do pit maintenance. IMO, all it does is make a mess and ruin the rubber half moon seats. If the bearing runs smooth, I say leave it alone. Does anyone agree with me?
    Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Re: greasing carpet roller bearings

Agreed!

Comment

I'll second that emotion. I don't see a need for that, or what you might be gaining? I've never experienced a problem with leaving them 'dry'.

Comment

When the pit is disassembled, all the bearings should be washed out in a solvent tank and repacked with fresh grease. There is still dirt inside the bearings.

Also new bearings should be washed in the solvent tank.

Keep all spare bearings already washed in solvent and stored with a wire tie around each bearing and seal assy. This will allow quick repacking of the bearings and wont allow you to mix up which seals go to which bearing.

Dry and dirty bearings do not ever last as long as clean and repacked bearings.

Comment

I agree. But instead of repacking them with grease, i like to use a little syrup. Log Cabin for the ones in decent shape, Aunt Jemimah for the really bad ones.
          The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

I am withdrawing my earlier response, due to an alcohol induced failure to comprehend the question.

I agree with Monkey, but generic syrup works just as well, and is more cost effective in the long run. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Larry The Table Guy:
              I use Mrs Butterworth.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Fixed.

Comment

Sorry for the stupid post--well at least I know how well I'm liked here! but thanks anyway-hope you had fun.

Comment

VO5 ?
                  Formerly known as Cyclone Lanes

Comment

Cyclone, I'm not too savvy with acronyms. What is VO5 ?

Comment

Brunsamf, I always repack bearings, if they need it. I pull the seals, flush them with solvent, then soak them in Diesel until they are clean and dirt free. Let them drip dry, finish drying with air, then pack with greese of choice, reseal and into the inventory for reuse.

This is one area that mech can save money and spread their budget.
                      Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Origonally posted by King, but stollen from Confusis

Dry and dirty bearings do not ever last as long as clean and repacked bearings.
                        __________________________________________________ __

Very profound Jerry.
                        [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                        Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                        our technician is working full time on another...
                        Working...
                        X