Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respot

Im dumbfounded. Hopefully some of you ace mechs can help me out. My goal was simple. I wanted to achieve total respot nirvana on lane 20 yesterday. I wanted my respot as close to "factory" as possible. I wanted it perfect, and I wanted it perfect without the use of any mod or duct-taped screw holding the back finger of the 7 pin respot cell.

Yes, I realize the book is only a starting point, but I still thought I could achieve perfection.

Here's what happened. Disconnected everything related to respotting on 20. REPLACED spring hangars AND bolts at front end. REPLACED batwing AND flipper. Hopefully you're following my technical jargon. Disconnected all respot cells but the 7. Started with the factory suggested 3 and 1/16" carbeurator link from the bell crank to the tie link. This should get you there , right?

Here's where Im running into trouble. First, I can't figure out how youre supposed to "use the bell crank stop bolt to obtain 1/4" between cell frame and rear finger." Hell, WITHOUT a friggin bolt in there at all you can't gain any more opening action past a certain point, and TURNING THE BOLT IN just limits your opening action.

You CAN achieve FULL opening of 7 pin, without the use of a taped bolt on the rear finger or some other stop, but by then the carb link from the bell crank is soooo long that now all the cells have crazy momentum when they're closing and can start to move pins during respot. Someone explain to me , in detail, where my logic is failing and why I can't achieve perfect respotting where all cells, especially the seven, open ALL THE WAY WITHOUT THE AID OF A STOP FOR THE REAR FINGER and without the drive link from the bell crank being so long as to add too much drive/momentum that the front fingers smash into the pins, moving them.

And some help on adjusting the bell crank.

This is not my first table, but it is the first one I tried to get as close to "factory' as possible and I can't seem to do it. I can make beautiful respot action with the aid of a rear finger stop, but I wanted to avoid that this time.
    The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Re: Respot

When is your center going to hire a mechanic?

just kidding.... maybe....

why would you change the pawl and bell crank?

All the stop bolt does is take pressure off of the cells during opening. this prevents any cells from being damaged. You can adjust this to any distance, use the carb link to make up the rest of your travel. Make sure that the bellcrank stop is there, I have been called before to centers to set up a respot system and the BC stop was gone.

Got to go for now.
    Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

I didnt change the bell crank. Maybe I wrote my problem badly. I'll figure it out.
      The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

has anyone ever read in the older amf manuals these adjustments are a starting point only.
        if these adjustments don't work your SOL.
        IF ALL ELSE FAILS, bend,hammer,re align as needed.
        if that doesn't work get out the hack saw , crow bar and torch! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] then start over.
        do not depend on amf or anybody else after you screw things up!
        if things aren't going right just use a bigger hammer! DIRT

Comment

Don't know if this will help, but was a tip given to me for troublesome respots. Before set up do the following two things.

1. Turn in the screw(070 001 871) on end of shifter cam link all the way.
          2. Disconnect 2594 rod (070 002 594)

The reason being is to a certain degree they are already adjusted, in some circumstances this can interfere with your respot set up. I'm sure there are those that disagree.

Comment

1-0

Comment

Everton FC hmmmmmmmmmmm

Another thing to check before adjustemnts is that all cells are screwed down tight. You may replace all the screws when you do a set up , but do your pin chasers.

Comment

Did you change the batwing and flipper for a reason or just to start with new parts? If so bad idea. youve got to just start over till you make it work. Good Luck!

Comment

King method:

1. Run table to spot position
                  2. Adjust short link to obtain wiggle clearance on the respot link
                  3. Disconnect all carb links
                  4. Adjust #7 cell carb link to spec
                  5. Adjust all other links.....when cell is open full turn link out 2 -3 full turns
                  6. Adjust all cell openings with gauge
                  7. Adjust stop bolt by closing cells and after getting the bolt to contact stop pad....back bolt out so there is roughly 1/8 gap between both sides of finger and finger bolt. Roughly 3 - 4 turns.

Happy respotting.

Comment

Thanks guys, not exactly what I was aiming for, but i was pretty vague in my intentions. I just dont think I can obtain perfection in my respot action without the aid of a rear finger bumper.

Comment

Monkey
                      Put the wrench down & slowly back away from the machines. You are giving yourself a migrain.

FIRST RULE (If it's not broke DONT F.U.C.K with it)

Also where is my box of goodies ????
                      Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

And the promised tacos??? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Don't mind me, what you read is invisible.

Comment

Posted by hmmmm:
                          1. Turn in the screw(070 001 871) on end of shifter cam link all the way.
                          2. Disconnect 2594 rod (070 002 594)

The reason being is to a certain degree they are already adjusted, in some circumstances this can interfere with your respot set up. I'm sure there are those that disagree

__________________________________________________ ________

Six in one hand, half dozen in the other, both ways will work fine.

The most important thing when doing a respot setup is, and you can quote me on this,

have a creeper with an adjustable headrest! you will never do another respot setup without it!

When you travel and set up a house in a couple hours, it is really worth it!

Comment

Monkey, can't be that bad, you have other machines to look at that are most likely right on! If you have to, use that as a starting point.

Just playing on the mechanic crack. I would not be me if I didn't throw a crack out there. Just ask drillman! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                            Mike

Comment

I agree mike, both do the same, with my pinchasers tell them to do both, they'll always forget one LOL

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X