Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82-90 PINWHEEL

What causes a pinwheel to get rusty? There is rust dust all over the pins and other stuff. How can i get the pinwheel back to normal

Re: 82-90 PINWHEEL

If you've got that much moisture, I recommend naval jelly to remove the rust, then a regular wiping with just enough WD-40 or lane oil to keep it off. Just a little oil - you don't want to make a mess of your pins!
    Chad

Comment

Excessive moisture in the air, and belive it or not, the could be too clean, the original ones had a protective coating, when I went to school they suggested using lemon pledge on them.

Try cleaning them with a green pad, and give them a coat of good car wax, or use some stainless steel cleaner to protect them, careful too much may cause some oreintation problems.

John
      Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
      804-240-4982

Comment

The guys bring up some good points...

If you turn your heat/AC down during closed times, you can also run into a problem. Your AC runs all day & cools the metal parts down... then at night when the building warms up (and remember warm air can carry more moisture), the cool parts cause moisture to condense on them, causing rust. With heating, it happens in reverse, but not as badly... the warm parts cool down overnight when the heat is set lower, then when the building warms up during the day, the cool parts cause condensation to form on them. I work on bank vaults and such... I run into this problem frequently, to a higher degree due to the mass of metal I'm dealing with; but large or small, the effect is still the same.

We cleaned and painted our wheels with clear paint/lacquer some years ago... They still look good. The paint will cause some minor problems at first... but after a short time the problems go away, because it wears off in the areas that are frequently rubbed by the pins (like in the wheel pockets)... but that's what you want. The bare metal doesn't rust because it's constantly being 'sanded' by the pins rubbing against it... the only areas that need to be protected are the ones that usually don't get touched, and so they build up rust, corrosion, and dirt.

The coating seems to have an additional bonus... it seem like the coated wheels stay cleaner, longer. We're guessing it's because the coating filled in the metal's pits and scratches, so dirt and oil can't build up in them.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by spinzilla:
          What causes a pinwheel to get rusty? There is rust dust all over the pins and other stuff. How can i get the pinwheel back to normal
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spin, this may not be rust dust you are seeing but orange dust from pumpkin belts. I have had a few become dry and start thjrowing orange dust all over the machine.

Just a thought.

Comment

Spinzilla, I believe if you spray Bleach on the Pindecks this will cause a rust problem in your Pinwheels.

Frank.
            always doing my best.

Comment

YOU CAN ALSO CLEAN YOUR PIN WHEELS WITH NAVEL JEL LIKE WASAM SAID AND THEN COAT THE PIN WHEEL WITH CLEAR URATHAN FINISH SO IT WON'T RUST AGAIN

Comment

i used rustolium paint on certain parts of the pin wheel for me that were rusting i have 70's that really should not matter but the rust olium if applied right doesnt even chip when hit with pins just my suggestion
                When in doubt check at bowl-tech
                When people are around no cursing and throwing things

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                Working...
                X