Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BE Relay

The BE relay,in a SS chassis with an Omega Tek Board, is humming. Why does it do this? Is there a way to stop the humming or do I just replace it? Should have some new relays monday to replace the old one.
    Well we're safe for now. Thank God we're in a Bowling Center.

Re: BE Relay

Take it out and burnish the contacts.

Comment

Lightly sanded the contacts(still look pitted)and tapped the chassis and the humming stopped and then returned but not as loud.Will replace them monday.Thanks King

Comment

Originally posted by Fish Bowl:
        The BE relay,in a SS chassis with an Omega Tek Board, is humming. Why does it do this?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It forgot the words. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Larry The Table Guy:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Fish Bowl:
          The BE relay,in a SS chassis with an Omega Tek Board, is humming. Why does it do this?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It forgot the words. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL @ Larry [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Dirty contacts shouldn't cause the relay itself to hum unless they are so bad (shape-wise) that they cause the armature to shift out of line when closing. Having said that, cleaning them is never a bad thing.

If the contacts are bent inward it might cause the relay to hum due to the extra tension against the armature (the flat, moving bit).

Also check the condition of the "hinge" (if you could call it that) that holds the armature. If the armature's loose and wobbles side-to-side, it may not land nicely against the stator/core each time it turns on and may hum sometimes depending on the position it landed in.

Other causes may be: a worn relay, a resistive joint in the relay power circuit, or dirty armature-to-stator connection.

I suggest checking all connections in the BE relay circuit: C1 plug, BE switch connections, M relay, spade connections on the relay.

The armature (the moving bit) has to make a solid connection to the stator/core (the stationery bit with the coil wrapped around it), otherwise it will hum. There's actually three pole faces sticking out of the stator which must touch the armature. Clean the area where those come into contact. If any of those are worn, you'll need a new relay.

One other thing (although unlikely) is that the small copper ring may have fallen off the middle pole of the stator/core. It's stuck on pretty good though, and if it did fall off, no amount of jiggling would make it stop humming. ;-)

Regards,
            Andrew.

Comment

Thanks Andrew that is very informative.

Comment

Replaced relay and all is fine now. Terminals were numbered differently but easy to figure out.
                Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                Working...
                X