Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal PM

How many mechanics actually do regular pm? I know this may sound absurd but because a piece of paper says check and oil every so often does that mean we shouldn't do it till then? I'm a b-mech that beleaves the machines should be inspected at least once a week,{thoroughly},and cleaned and or oiled accordingly.I'm not trying to start a flamefest, just wanting to see if my views are realistic.

Re: Normal PM

Inspecting your whole machine once a week will be a very time consuming task! You'd better inspect the parts separately. Not every part has the same interval of inspection needed.
    When there is not much time, you'd better inspect the key areas this will prevent a break down on machine 20 while you're still inspecting machine 13.
    for example the pit support and sweep bars need lots more inspection because lots of wear in these compartments.
    Other parts don't need weekly inspection i.e. bin rubbers, plows, v-belts.After years of experience you will know what interval of PM each part need.

Comment

I do mind on a regular basis. but there is no way you can do all thats on paper. I break my machines up. I also change around the interval. For instants, monthly is now bi-monthly. Some item on monthly goes to quarterly, which includes lub. It did take some time to sort it out. So I have my own service and lub sheet. AMF is very vage. I have more on it which make sure you don't skip anything. AMF does miss alot. It ten time better than AMF

Comment

I will recycle my machines from the back daily to check that all respot cells are picking pins up pins are spotting ok etc. Its good to walk through will a flashlight and check cushions carpet wear and shuttle action once a week.You can have your pinchaserswalk through and check varios componets also.The most time consuming area to check is the front end which I do during monthly Lube A few machines a week.Once you get onto aflow youll find what you need to check more often than other parts.Check for missing rollers on your distributer trip arms.You can do a lot on a weekly basis but not all needs to be checked that often. Keep em clean and lubed.Always keep your eyes open while cleaning youll be amazed at what you find. You cant do too much PM.JMHO.

Comment

We use a "grid system" to PM machines... it's a list of operations, with one box for each machine across it. the list of operations are things like "clean/adjust/relube shuttles", "clean & check tables", "inspect spotting cups", etc...

Most times, you just do one operation on all the machines, then go on to the next operation. The nice part about this is that you only take one set of tools/equipment out at a time, and you do the same operation over and over, so you are focused on just one task, instead of trying to go over the entire machine in one go. It can get a hair tedious, but it's pretty efficient and thorough.

Some operations are very quick to do, but eliminate lots of little problems... like dusting the camera lenses and wiping off the IR detectors on the scoring... cleaning the lenses and detectors on the foul lights, things like that.

It's a good idea for a mechanic to pinchase once in a while, too... you'd be surprised at how many problems and little issues you will catch early on (that could turn into bigger problems), that a pinchaser would probably miss.
          <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Good idea G-man had about the head mech pinchasing every now and then. It's amazing the small problems I have found doing just that... before they turned into much larger problems down the road.

Another good idea is to have a large piece of cardboard or carpet underneath each machine. Pull each one out every couple days or so, vacuum it off, and check for broken/missing parts that will inevitably find their way to the bottom of the machine. Makes some of those 'hide and go seek' problems a tad bit easier to discover sometimes.

Comment

When are you supposed to do PM- before stripping and waxing the concourse, after cleaning the carpeting, or between changing the HVAC filters and painting the building. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I do lubing, cleaning and adjusting as needed. I dont follow any PM sheets. I have them, but dont follow them. Been doing this for 20 years and it hasnt bit me in the @ss yet.

While leagues are running I watch and listen to all machines. I also do quite a bit of lubing while machines are in operation.

I suggest doing what works best for you.

Comment

I am the same as clutch plate. If anyone is like me a does the yearly overhaul on pit, ball returns and dizys then you just have to keep them lubed and watch for them problem areas.
                  There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry The Table Guy:
                    Another good idea is to have a large piece of cardboard or carpet underneath each machine. Pull each one out every couple days or so, vacuum it off, and check for broken/missing parts that will inevitably find their way to the bottom of the machine. Makes some of those 'hide and go seek' problems a tad bit easier to discover sometimes.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes sir... same here. We actually reuse the old carpet belts as dust &amp; drip catchers under the machines. Makes it VERY easy to retrieve tools dropped (dammit!) against the tailplank. They hold up good, wear well, and clean very easily with some Castrol Super Clean and a pressure washer / carwash. Put them out in the parking lot in the sun for a while to dry, and then right back under the machines they go.

Caught many a problem just by seeing what bits and pieces were laying on them when they're pulled.
                    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

I am all about PM's. though they may not get done by 'AMF time standards' I still try...I think if you do it as much as you can, you see the difference. We all know that time is limited given all the other things ya have to do, But there are times when you can. I personally like trying to find a problem before it breaks down during a full house of league. Lubing is something i do while im looking for problems. I dig the carpet under the machine Idea(used cardboard myself)

As for pinchasing....I wouldnt have it any other way...after all...machines run great when thier not on, or your not there. I HAVE to spend time just pinchasing during league so I know what there doing. To me its all a game....me vs. the machines....and i'll be dammed if im gonna let them win :p
                      Herb

Comment

I went thru all 48 lanes a couple weeks ago. Had a pvc extension on shop vac with a slot shaved off at slight angle. Taped up the end. Raked anything I found part or tool-wise back and dropped into a cup with lane number on it. Then just swept it back and forth a few times to catch dirt and dust. I like that old carpet idea tho. Sat back in the shop sorting out wverything I found. Took maybe an hour or 2 for the entire house.
                        Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                        our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                        Working...
                        X