X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82-30 to 82-90s

im thinking about replacing my amf 82-30s with amf 82-90s
    i only have 4 lanes in my house,but bowling is big here
    my bowlers are frustrated because of all the brakedowns that happen also i can no longer find backend moter switches any more
    im looking for any advice from you good people as i only have 3 years of exp.
    carfull what you wish for,
    it mite just happen
    Jeff

Re: 82-30 to 82-90s

Jeff... If it were me I would consider putting in 82-70's instead of 82-90's, as you could pick up 4 of those much cheaper. 70's are excellent machines, and easy to work on... they just don't have all the bells and whistles that the 90's have. Actually, I believe I know of someone right here in Wisconsin that has 4 of them for sale. If you're interested send me a PM and I can get you his contact info.

Oh yes... and welcome to Bowl-Tech!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Upgrading to well-kept 70's would definitely work OK... and you will have a pretty easy learning curve to maintaining them. Just so you don't buy junkers... or I will guarantee after a very short time, you (and your bowlers) will be WISHING for your 30's back. The 30 relies more on mechanical movement than electrical, hence, easier to MAKE it run, if necessary... the 70 is more electric/electronic driven. While still a very reliable machine, it has more to "go wrong" than a 30.

If your tight on $$$, I'd say with a little TLC, those 30's have quite a bit of service left in them. Backend motors aren't too big of a deal... I'm sure they could be replaced by the 'newer' 8230 motors, '70 BEM's, or even aftermarket units, with a minimum of modification... possibly even just replacing the starting switches with solid state units would do the job.

A 30 (compared to other bowling capital equipment) is a fairly simple animal, that's built like a tank. There's only a few "weak links" in an otherwise very tough machine... like the distributor track, for instance.

Sit down, even with another mechanic or a traveling service tech if needed... evaluate just what your machine problems are, and what would be needed to correct them. You might just find that with a few parts and some elbow grease, those 30's will do just fine.
      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Very well said G [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
        Don't mind me, what you read is invisible.

Comment

thanks guys i need all the encouragment i can get. i will consider my ops
          carfull what you wish for,
          it mite just happen
          Jeff

Comment

Great post G!! I worked several years at my Dad's center that had 30s and 70s both. We had 4 good 70s and 4 junkers. The good ones were factory 5 board machines and the others were stepper chassis machines. There are subtle differences in the cams that control the respot cells and the pin cups. The 5 board machines close the respot cells slower and the others slam them open and shut.
            From someone who likes the 30s better, the 70 shortcomings are the distributor and clutch, the bin, and the fact that if one respot cell is out of adjustment or binding enough, the rest don't work either. Plus parts are more expensive for the 70s.
            The 30s are tanks like G said and with the proper adjusting and lubracation, they will run a long time and preform as well or better than a 70. Both machines are good, but only as good as the mechanic working on them.
            One thing on the backend motors on 30s. There are 2 stator sizes if you go buying spares. I think the start switches are the same, but the outside is bigger on the older ones. No performance difference, just different sizes. Wish you were closer, I have LOTS of spare motors and chassis!
            PS You 70 guys knew this was coming from me, right? :p
            Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Could smell this coming a mile away!! LOL

Comment

Could smell this coming a mile away!! LOL

Comment

30's are becoming fewer and fewer , and upgrading to 70's with mp chassis would be the way to go if cost of bringing 30's up to speed outways cost of newer machines.
                  maister

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                  Working...
                  X