Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBLs

I just came into 20 lanes worth of PBLs. Ive read about these things enough to know there are several types. The ones I got have the standard looking PBL clutch (??? for a lack of a better term) on the left which is hooked up to the lift arm in the ball opening. They have a standard mousetrap style paddle except that its tensioner spring hooks to the frame of the machine instead of inside the trap itself, which I like. Is this enough info to tell me what I have?

Also, the lifts have very small, high speed pulleys. To make up the difference, the paddles have huge, low speed pulleys. Is this normal for PBLs or would it be an advantage to put bigger pulleys on the lift?

To install these, Im going to have to drill a 1 5/8" hole in that thick 8230 sideplate. Is there any easy way to do this besides pulling out the sawzall? Does anyone make a hole saw stout enough to accomplish this.

Also, any tips to get the most out of these would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: PBLs

Oh yeah, replacing kickers.

Comment

You have PBL's with the light ball sensor.

Get out the holesaw.

You will love the PBL's.

Comment

Originally posted by 82/30 rookie:
        You have PBL's with the light ball sensor.

Get out the holesaw.

You will love the PBL's.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree...I have PBL's with LBS and love em'...I had some issues with the LBS when I first started here but now that I've got all the oil out of them that a previous mech. had soaked them with they are working great.

Please remember DO NOT OIL YOUR LBS or you'll have some serious issues with them...There are some parts on the LBS that take some oil, but not the whole darn thing.
        Lifes to short to stress on little things.

Comment

I agree with these two fine individuals (sucking up I guess LOL). You will love the PBL after dealing with kickers.

Air Force Mech is right about the oil thing.

Tim
          HBOwner

Comment

Get good quality hole saws and bits. I got about 5 pairs done per hole saw using cutting fluid. Also I would recommend using a template because it makes it a no brainer.

Are you getting the ball lifts with them also? If not you will need a template to drill yours to relocate the bottom bracket.

AMF makes a template kit #610-704-098 for ~$130. It was worth it for me because the guy before me had a few PBL’s installed and was way off with his measurements that caused some problems. The template kit allowed me to correctly re-position the ratchet wheel and bracket.

One other thing…You might have to make your “V” a little larger (towards the bottom) in your kickbacks because the lift arm bracket that hold the rails is closer to the front of the machine than the starter unit.

Like the others stated…You’ll love it over kickers.

Triac

Comment

Originally posted by HBOwner:
              I agree with these two fine individuals (sucking up I guess LOL).
              Tim
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope...Just being the nice guy that we all grew to know you as...I'm not being a suck up, just speaking the truth.
              Lifes to short to stress on little things.

Comment

Originally posted by triac:

Are you getting the ball lifts with them also? .

One other thing…You might have to make your “V” a little larger (towards the bottom) in your kickbacks because the lift arm bracket that hold the rails is closer to the front of the machine than the starter unit.

Triac
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah I got the whole 9 yards with these. I took them out myself so I got a pretty good feel for how everythings going to go in.

Does anyone know the exact centerline of the hole I need to drill? I measured it and wrote it down (the paper is at work) but you got me thinking about it, so I better make sure. Theres no guarantee someone didnt do a hack job the first time around with these.

Comment

RD,

Depending if you have 30 side plates or 70 side plates (on a 30) will determine where the center hole will go.

If you want to PM me (or just post here) your address, I can mail you a paper template and install instructions that came with the Vantage lite kit.

I used the metal templates (and drill bits) kit from AMF and they worked great.

Triac

Comment

I am not sure what the brand name of the hole saw I used was when I installed some PBLs, but it came from Wal-Mart. I got 10 pairs out of it and it is still sharp. It does take a bit to get through the side of a 30, just be sure you have a good drill. I too have a template from a Vantage PBL install left over if you need it. Be sure to ask if you need any help adjusting them after you get them in.
                    Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AMF-Holland:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No wonder your kicker lift isn't working right... the damned upshaft is bent. Straighten that badboy out, and you should be ok... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Thanks for the help so far, here's where Im at.

I found my notes and the hole is centered 18" high by 12" from the back of the left plate. I took these off of '30s and theyre going into '30s so Im doing the first pair in faith that the hole is right.

I found a 1 3/8" holesaw and tested it on a maple board first and it was about the perfect size for the PBL shaft. So I took my Milwaukee hammer drill (is that enough drill fo ya [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] ) and it sawed through that metal plate faster than it did the maple board. I used WD40 as cutting fluid, seemed to work well as the holesaw never got hot (thanks for the tip Triac).

Also, the lift rails did rest right against the edge of the kickback "V" but they bolted up without any bending or prying so I assume everything is OK there.

Thats as far as I got until I ran out of time. Ill finish it tomorrow and see how it goes. Then Ill let you know about the templates if something doesnt feel right. Thanks.

Comment

RD,

Sounds as if you have 70 side plates. Because the paper template for a 30’s measurement is 34 1/8” from the top and 12 13/16” from the flange. The 70’s dimensions are 17 3/4” from the top and 1” (towards the front) from a plumb line running down the edge of the motor mount.

I went out and measured horizontal line from the edge of the machine (on a 70) and it was 12 7/8” (off by 1/16” [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] ). Your 12” measurement might make the belt to tight and will put excess stress on the ratchet wheel weld. When the belt is on, it should be pretty sloppy so that the idler pulley can do its job of keeping the proper tension on it when the lift goes up and down.

You might try running a plum line down your BE motor bracket and then take your own measurement to verify that 1” (towards the front) equals 12 13/16” from the flange.

Good Luck, Let us know of any problems or adjustment specs needed.

Triac

Comment

Triac nailed it on getting the hole where it needs to be as far as getting the belts too tight. I had a couple of the belts too tight and it does keep the lift in the "up" position.
                            Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                            Working...
                            X