Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay points

Had a sweep call on 48 last night, no pins in table, no jam, full rack. I cycled the table and then it was fine. Another call, then sweep seemed weird. Swapped chasis, took it back to shop and found the fried points. Is there a way to check the points on the machine with a meter? Do a visual inspection with dental mirror? What's the best way to verify the integrity of the rest of the machines?
    Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Re: Relay points

If these are the original Allen Bradleys, visual is usually a good way to go. Also make sure the sprint under the contact compresses a little when engaged - to make sure they are getting a solid mechanical connection. If you are using the newer A&B replacements, junk those and go with another type contactor. They are very unreliable! Call Stahls and ask about the new style A&B contactors - they are GREAT! If you do go that route, you'll have to drill a couple of new holes for the mounting plate to make more room between the contactors - otherwise they will be practically touching (S & T contactors). Piece of cake.... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Jon
    I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

Use bowltronics Solid State contactors. They are the only way to go.

Wang

Comment

We have far more problems with the newer closed contactors than the old style A&B 'open' ones. We have about half and half.

We usually just overhaul the old style ones when they fail instead of replacing them.

Of the closed style, we have Seimens, A&B and Moeller.

Almost all of the failed ones have been A&B's newer style and the failures have been the contacts. I usually try to salvage contacts to rebuild them, but we ain't buying any more of those so they'll slowly disappear by natural selection [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] .

We first started using Seimens several (~7) years ago and have only had a few coils fail over the years (the contacts seem quite good).

We also started using Moeller contactors about 2 years ago. Haven't had problems yet (but too short a time to know). They have bigger contacts than the A&B closed style.

But still, with proper maintenance, I reckon the old 'open' style A&Bs are clearly the best mechanical contactor we've used.

Andrew.

Comment

Andrew, have you ever tried the new style (enclosed) A&B contactors? They are grey and a little bigger than the others. They work great!

Jon
          I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

I'm with Wang on this one, Bowl-Tronic solid state all the way.
            Formerly known as Cyclone Lanes

Comment

Solid state is not bad after you get use to the quiet. Weird not hearing any snap coming from the chassis
              Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

Originally posted by WangJ:
                Use bowltronics Solid State contactors. They are the only way to go.

Wang
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I third that motion

Comment

now i know what to expect outta the newer a&amp;b enclosed contacts.. i got 6 of em and decided to put them in. hasn't even been a year yet but hey if the die, i still got the old allen bradleys to rely on. also have a few bowltronics boards and they seem pretty reliable (only blew up maybe 2 so far..) and i got some cheap knock off bowltronics contacts somewhere.. they're fun to look at but that's about it. and moeller. and siemens. wow. didn't realize what a variety i had! well, IMO the old style allen bradleys will never let you down, but i'm really starting to like those bowltronics thingies. and i've never had any problems with enclosed contacts that i'm aware of.

Comment

wait! what am i sayin?? old allen bradleys suck! I always have to fix em. enclosed or bowltronics! (note to self: stop posting right after you crawl out of bed.)

Comment

IMO bowltronics is the way to go they are just as much as bying a mechanical relay but have far less problems that I have seen. I think the old style A&amp;B and Simmens are the better ones of the mechanical contactors. I'd like to see Cutler &amp; Hammer come out with one. They make realy good contactors, but I haven't seen one that we could use.
                      There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Was going to tell the owner about the bowltronics...$60 with a button to activate. Much nicer I would think than reaching under to activate the old contacts. Was going to add up cost of 2 contacts vs. 1 bowltronics board. Also considering the average life space of the old ones...anyone have a guesstimate for that?
                        Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

Check around with different distributors. They might have a different price on the bowltronics contactors.

Wang

Comment

I can only find mechaincal contactors for about 50-55 buck so spending an extra 5 is worth it for soild state.
                            There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by wb8yjf:
                              Andrew, have you ever tried the new style (enclosed) A&amp;B contactors? They are grey and a little bigger than the others. They work great!

Jon
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I meant those ones - the enclosed contact A&amp;B ones. Ours just don't last long. Usually it's the brake contacts on one side only that burn up (that's why I am able to salvage half the contacts to rebuild some).

Perhaps we are using the wrong ones - the number is 100-C12UX200.

Anyway, we don't buy them anymore.

I would like to try the solid state ones. I have some grovelling to do...

Andrew.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X