Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball lift clutch

What kind of grease does everone use in their ball lift clutch? Or is it just worth it to put new ones on after the grease has been squished out or dirty?
    There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Re: ball lift clutch

I usualy pull off the clutches once a year check them out put them in a parts washer and repack them with lithium high temp grease. Has worked well for every ball lift so far.
    They say that the **** rolls down hill but the smell always starts at the top.

Comment

Now when it comes to grease I am a little dumb. I know there is are differances but what are the differances between grease types?

Comment

Originally posted by Table Head:
        Now when it comes to grease I am a little dumb. I know there is are differances but what are the differances between grease types?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mostly in formulation... Like in most other things, there's a product for every purpose.

For example, many lubricants have sulfur or sulphuretted compounds in them... which is fine on chromium, steel, hard steel, etc... but to use it on items comtaining brass or bronze is not recommended... sulphur reacts with these metals, causing pitting and damage to the bearing surfaces, which causes them to wear out, seize up, or break prematurely.

Some greases are made specifically to be nontoxic and harmless in small quantities, for use in food/water handling equipment that requires lubrication in contact or in potential contact with food. If you have a beverage mixer fountain, slush machine, or a sno-cone machine, this grease is probably used on it. Greases like this will usually have a Food &amp; Drug Administration (FDA) certification that it is nontoxic and approved for food handling equipment.

Others are made as "Specific Purpose" or "Special Purpose" greases... like high-pressure or high-temperature grease (which are formulated not to break down / melt under pressure or heat like general-purpose grease would). Others are made with very tacky base materials, designed not to fly off of moving parts (motorcycle chain lube, for example).

Here's a clip from a testing laboratory that explains a bit more:

General purpose lubricating greases are usually based on lithium, calcium or sodium soaps and include some EP greases and lithium complex grease. Specialty greases [high-specification greases] are formulated to meet rigorous specifications and based on complex soaps combined with highly refined or synthetic base oils and additives. While mineral oil based grease is the most common. Others are: water based lubricants, industrial grease, high temperature grease, dry film lubricants, conveyor lubricants, bearing grease, moly lubricant, synthetic grase – 3/24, dry lubricant bearing grease, and moly grease to name a few,

According to The National Lubricating Grease Institute (NLGI) -- an international technical trade association that serves the lubricating grease and gear lubricant industry:

In the past, the diversity of specifications for automotive service greases, as established by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM), made it difficult for the marketer of lubricating greases to make available all the many specified products. Finally, the Society of Automotive Engineers, the American Society for Testing and Materials and NLGI, forming a tripartite group, all played their respective roles in establishing ASTM D 4950 as a standard for automotive service greases. As a result, OEM's, suppliers and consumers have a common language to use when describing lubricating greases for automotive service.

ASTM D 4950 includes specifications for two category groups: chassis lubricants (letter "L" prefix) and wheel bearing lubricants (letter "G" prefix). Performance classifications within these groups result in two letter designations for chassis greases (LA and LB) and three for wheel bearing greases (GA, GB, and GC) The automotive industry is in general agreement that the highest performance category, to date, in each group (LB and GC) is suitable for service relubrication.

Following the development of these categories, the Institute implemented its NLGI service classification as a means of identifying to the consumer the two highest performance levels: GC and LB; the combination, GC-LB, represents a multi-purpose category. In the future, NLGI will revise the system concurrently with any changes made to ASTM D 4950.

To facilitate easy, accurate identification to all users, NLGI has made available to the industry an identifying symbol, i.e., the NLGI Certification Mark, to be displayed on grease packaging. Those OEM owner's manuals that illustrate this mark will advise users to use only those greases carrying this mark on the label.

Confused yet? I hope not... there's a test at the end of this class... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

For myself, I'm partial to the heavy-duty, high-pressure / high-temp greases. They hold up very well, don't dry out for a long time, and tend to stay put.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Been packing mine with wheel bearing grease for over 20 years. Never gave it much thought. Figured if it works for car bearings. It'll work for all my bearing's
          Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

I used some chassis grease once and the beaings didn't last very long mabey a couple days or so these bearings had been on the machine and working just fine and then with new grease in them they stop working. Does this type of grease affect the way it grips the clutch race? The next time I repack them I will use wheel bearing grease.

Comment

Good post G-man. Very informative. Thanks [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I too have always used red bearing grease with no problem

Comment

Do not leave excess grease in the race after you pack the bearing. It will cause slippage.

Comment

I have found that at the lower speeds most (only most, not all) of the componants in the pinspotter operate at, a good quality multi purpose greese will work fine, as long as regular preventave maintaince is followed. The ball lift clutch is not holding up 1000's of lbs, turning at 1600rpm, and no lives are riding on it. If it is rated for auto wheel bearings, it will more than suffice. (again, as long as you follow a regular schedule of maintaince.) No greese will last in any application indefinantly.

JMO
                    Paul

Comment

Quite a post Gman 143 very informative.
                      Good quality grease is what i use.No need to pay thro the nose for the stuff.
                      maister

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                      Working...
                      X