Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoopid Stoopid Chassis

Hey again fellas,

I have a prob with one of my 5 board solid state chassis', whats happening is as soon as you turn power on to this animal the sweep and table start to run and chatter while doing so. they dont run in any proper cycle sequence just constant run, and they chatter like hell.
    I have changed ALL boards from good working chassis ( 3 different chassis' to be 100% sure), changed both 24VAC relayschecked all pins and sockets in C1 and C2A cant find anything loose or broken.
    Any help would be muchly appreciated.
    Thanks and Cheers in advance Brett
    AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Re: Stoopid Stoopid Chassis

You are STILL running 5 boards? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] Sounds like a power supply problem if you swapped all 5 boards from a known working chassis. Check the caps & the diodes on the heatsink. That is a good place to start.

Get Omega-Teks!! :p [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
    I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

I agree with Jon. Check the diodes in the heat sink with an ohm meter. You should have continuity one way then reverse the probes and you should not have continuity the other way. The diode in the middle will have reverse polarity from the outside ones. Also make sure the heat sink itself is not grounding.

If that don’t cure it, Other things that would cause this problem would be:

# 3 board
      #1 board
      Bad Aux Memory Board will cause the machine to cycle when turned on.

Check the soldier connections on the mother board for the sockets #1 and #3. Also clean the PCB contacts with an eraser followed by alcohol.

Triac

Comment

Sounds like it could be the can capacitor in the chassis.

Comment

Does sound like the DC supply is putting out bad DC.

Have you checked the stuff out?

GET RID OF THEM 5 BOARDS! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] :p

Jon [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]

Comment

Check the chassis fuses F1 and F2 (check that the fuses are good as well as whether they have a good connection).

I suspect the 10V rail, so if not the fuse, then try checking CP1 which may have gone open-circuit.

Aux board is a good suspect too as Triac indicated. You can just disconnect and tape up the wires to test it out of the circuit.

I doubt the pindication supply would be the culprit.

If none of this helps, try turning off the table and sweep switches and checking whether the chassis is responsive by trying to step cycles with the zero button and the SA/TA2 cams.

Cheers,
            Andrew.

Comment

i do appreciate all help but PLEASE dont throw in a GET omega teks etc its not my call ill soon be getting XOP's but not sure when that is but for now im with 5 boards ( which i actually like)
              AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pin_Head:
                i do appreciate all help but PLEASE dont throw in a GET omega teks etc its not my call ill soon be getting XOP's but not sure when that is but for now im with 5 boards ( which i actually like)
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't worry, Brett, Jon was just being friendly and ethusiastic about OmegaTeks.

Though I understand your frustration at being told to get them every time you mention a 5 board - especially if you like them (it's similar with sure-piks and instructomat - the popular comment is 'get rid of them!', or 'cut the grey wire!').

But be assured, it's all in good spirit. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
                Andrew.

Comment

Sorry 'bout that Brett! They just eliminate soooo many problems. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] Since you aren't in charge of the buying, I will concede.

The big problem with the 5 boards is that they are using 1960's technology. The voltages in chassis can vary as much as 25-30% (high or low) and transistors react accordingly. Transistors are analog devices that tend to get weak as time goes on... (30+ years) The Omega Teks are digital based boards that rely on a +5V &amp; +12V regulated supply, which pretty much ignores the fluctuations in the chassis, including the "can" capacitors (which go bad as time goes on - they dry out &amp; get weird). XOP's are kinda overengineered for a bowling alley. They are based on a microprocessor which is far more succeptable to the condition (setting) of the cams. If you can get O-T's they are WELL worth the cost (plus a lifetime warranty - how can ya go wrong?!)

I've given up working on the 5 boards due to the fact some will work on one lane, but not another. Too much trouble.

Just like Andrew said, its all in good spirit. Just trying to save you somefrom pulling ur hair out over crazy problems. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Cheers!
                  Jon [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]

Comment

Sorry Jon i realise you didnt mean anything bad by that sorry mate just had a bad few days with some of my staff back stabbing me one wanting me out to take my job.

Comment

Will TA-1 run the Table when all the boards are removed?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Jam:
                        Will TA-1 run the Table when all the boards are removed?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It shouldn't... on the original 5-board system, TA1 fired a neon lamp on the #1 board, which changed the resistance value of a photocell (opto-coupled circuit), which energized the Table amplifier circuit that sent power to the T contactor coil.

I don't think it changed with the Omega-Tek board... the circuit still works the same way, they just used transistors and triacs in place of the optocouplers on the 1 board to run the contactors.

Brett: We're more than happy to help you out with the 5-boards... some of us still remember them [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] . But honestly, try to convince the owner to get Omega-tek boards... even if it means buying them one at a time and spreading out the costs over a period of time... we're not talking about a gigantic investment, but the return is much more than worth it (and they're more reliable, IMHO, than XOP's). It's not that the old boards are no good anymore, it's just that most of us cannot come up with any other part that could save a bowling center more time, effort, and money for the price than the OT boards. Chassis service time is cut 80% or more, electrical troubleshooting goes down by at least half, there is less time wasted replacing pins and contacts from swapping chassis (wearing or damaging the plugs), the chassis run much cooler (which saves more electricity than you realize), board repair goes away completely (excellent warranty), your machine downtime due to chassis problems becomes nearly nonexistant, and it also makes the machinery much easier to interface to automatic scoring... That's a hell of an upgrade for a little over $100 per lane... lots of "bang for the buck", as it were.
                        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

G - [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Brett - [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

what Paul said
                            Qualified to do anything with nothing!

Comment

I would honestly LOVE to get O-T's my old joint i ran had 18 lanes of O-T 's they were lovely only ever had to get 1 sent to be fixed when the old head tech before me decided to wire the foul unit backwards sending 240V back into the boards LMAO was a funny day to see a chassis fully ablaze heheheh [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] , but whats happening is that another center near me has just closed down and me being AMF them being AMF im getting thier old XOP boards.

Cheers fellas
                              Brett

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X