Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question

What Kind of U Joints are we all using fellas? Plastic Pit bulls, the old grease ones ???
    Just Curious Which Ones Are The Best.
    Life's a Garden... DIG IT !

Re: quick question

The red plastic ones from EBN are holding up real well. A nice U-joint. When AMF did the upgrade they installed the gold steel ones and they have been falling apart. Adding grease periodically didnt help. I have three heavy duty steel ones from vantage that P.J. gave me to try out. These things seem bullet proof. Replacable bearings and very smooth. Not in their book yet but hopefully soon. Most of my even lanes have the steel spring quality joints. Some are ten years old and going strong. The odd machines have the mix, apex, ebn, and the amf . Of those I like the ebn ones the best.

Comment

About 5-6 years ago I tried the plastic Van type and they stunk. Then I tried the AMF plastic and was happy. You can get 5 AMF plastic for the price of 1 metal and they last as long, or longer then the Apeks brand. Dont be fooled by the Bull you here about U-joints. Keep the pinion lubricated and pin jams down and the AMF $5 jobs last for years.

Comment

Never smelled the Van type, though, we use 'em.
        I'll throw some AMF plastic in ours in the near future. Just for fun.
        So it goes.

Comment

I have only really used AMF joints...I prefer the metal But maybe next time I order some I will give something else a try ... I tend to agree with jimmy jam.. If you keep your distributors in good shape, the joints are rarley a problem.
          Herb

Comment

We use a combination of steel and plastic joints... Steel on the short shafts (using a 1/4" hitchpin clip in place of the roll pin to keep shafts from getting bent by beating the pin out every time a clutch has to be serviced... bent shafts wear and break u-joints very quickly), and plastic joints on the long shafts.

The steel joints get serviced on a schedule like the other parts... the boot is pulled and checked for holes, the joint is cleaned in the tank, then the boot is reapplied and secured at one end. A grease needle is slid under the open end and new grease is shot into the boot, after which the boot is resealed. The joint is worked around by hand to get the grease distributed back into the moveable components of the joint. I found the replacement "ziptie" boots locally at a custom bearing & drive manufacturer / supply house.

I have also found that those plastic ones, for all that is said about them, still need to be prelubricated before installation... and solvent-based lubricants cause them to soften and break.

I started using plastic-friendly "food grade" grease in a small needle to work into the joint before installation... since we did that, it substantially lowered yearly plastic u-joint breakage.
            <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Jam:
              About 5-6 years ago I tried the plastic Van type and they stunk. Then I tried the AMF plastic and was happy. You can get 5 AMF plastic for the price of 1 metal and they last as long, or longer then the Apeks brand. Dont be fooled by the Bull you here about U-joints. Keep the pinion lubricated and pin jams down and the AMF $5 jobs last for years.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto that, we use them as well and they do hold up well.
              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

I have had TERIBLE luck with the AMF plastics. The new Apex 'orrignal' just arent what they used to be. I hear that Vantage has come out with a good 'beefier' version of the Apex, but have ot tried it. I have to say that the EBN work well, and have been gradualy changing over.

Comment

I use all steel. I've got some older apex that are great. the next ones I have are the gold amf ones that start to break after a while. I buy the regular steel ones from vantage, and they seem to hold up longer than the gold amf ones do.
                  There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Steel or plastic both work fine but if a problem arises plastic will break and save strain on motor.
                    maister

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                    Working...
                    X