Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best ways

Working away this week, and a few jobs were just a bit trickier than usual. First ridiculus problem was a front roller casing.

The junior tech had gone round all the front rollers and used locktite to secure in the hex bolts in place. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] (why I oughta ...) This particular roller had a very stubborn hex screw. It was totally welded into the casing. I usually get a larger allen bolt and hammer it in and use a lever, such as a shuttle compression spring tube or the short tube of the shuttle for leverage. But alas to no avail. Tried heating up the metal, also hamering around the bolt to loosen it up.

How do you guys get rounded, stubborn, worn, screws out of the front roller?

My colleague and pal, James, "the hammer" came up with a great solution for adjusting the horns on the orientator pan.
    Just take the motor winding handle and place the open end over the horn on the pan. Now it is an easy matter of either pushing or pulling in which ever direction you want to move the horns! Thus avoiding horrific injury to the related parts if you get out the mallet and give it a good seeing too! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]
    Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Re: Best ways

Try to weld a small nut on top of the allen bolt such as a 1/4" bolt. Then you can use a 7/16" wrench to break the allen bolt loose.

Wang

Comment

Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

Alastair,

I quit bending the ears (horns?) along time ago unless needed to straighten to factory angle. I found this to be the best angle. When I do straighten them I use extreme heat, as cold bending will take its toll and begin cracking and twisting the pan.

I have a couple of machines that need ear adjusting once in a while, they need readjusting from when the pins are new to when they wear and get bloated. Instead of bending them back and forth, try something like this.

As for your front roller problem, I do something similar as Wang. You can tack weld or braze the thread end of a ¼” bolt to the hole. You might have open the stripped allen hole slightly as to hold the ¼”bolt snug when inserting.

As for the locktite bolts…Just use a oxygen / acetylene torch and get the bolts cherry red hot then remove immediately while red. I would discard these bolts as the heat will soften the hardness. The heat wont hurt the cast iron housings.

Good Luck,
        Triac

Comment

I drill them and then use an easyout.
          SGT
          U.S. Army/AVN
          Retired

Comment

i drill through them,easy to get out and only takes a few minutes.

Comment

The hole in the bottom of a pin makes a good orienter "horn" bending apparatus.

Comment

Dang....been scratching my head on this one for a few minutes. Maybe I am just tired.......(been a long day).........where in the front roller do you find hex bolts???? did I miss something?? (lol)

Comment

When the front roller body is already damaged, you can hammer with a screwdriver round the bolt to make the hole bigger. After removing the body, you can easily remove the bolt with a grip vice.

Comment

I drill a little Divot hole near the edge of the bolt, then use a hammer and punch to turn the bolt. once it breaks loose you can use an allen

Comment

All the above works well.

When these bolts are "fused" into the threads, its sometimes dirt and rust and believe me, I've broken many an allen head socket trying to back them out.

Old faithful method: Take a few mighty swings at the bolthead with a big hammer. Very loud. Breaks up the rust and makes it much easier to turn.
                      The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

Smack it really really reallllly hard with a hammer before breaking them loose.

Comment

I use Homer's Method Too. Dont Be Afraid To Break Out Those Guns Baby. Afterwards youll feel like A stud too !!
                          Life's a Garden... DIG IT !

Comment

Homer has a good method.

Comment

yeah give it a good bashing, bit of penetrating fluid from the side, then you get the joy of the "ping" when it finally comes loose, and the shock jolts up your arm, not had one like that for a while, prob cause i'm not strong enough to overtighten them!!!!!!!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X