Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Badly

Right-o, here's the scene.

82-70s. XLi upgrade, although I think it's moot, just wanted to throw that in.

Table adjustments go nicely. Get the table level and happy. Next I go get my 1/2 bubble to rear. Cool. So far so good. Next I go for my little daylight gap of 1/16" between stop bolt and stop. Here's where it gets screwy. I CAN GET NO GAP!! Doesnt matter how much I turn the spotting rod, the stop bolt never raises up from the stop. Help me please.

A few things: the machine height is awesome at 19".

The spotting rod is the correct length (32.5 inches)

Everything spotting-related is sound. A slight bit of wear in spring hangar and a little slop in table actuating link assembly (worn bushings) but nothing major.

I cannot get the damn 1/16" gap to save my life.

Twice today I was told that in older machines (which these are not) you needn't necessarily have the gap AT ALL. If this is true, then what the blue sh*t do I do with the spotting rod for that step? Where do I leave it.

I'll be looking in, I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.
    The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Re: Need Help Badly

Not to sound obvious but, is the stop bolt out too far? is the spherical bearing in the lower part of the leg in good shape? if no adjustment is obtainable, grind down stop bolt till there is.
    Don't mind me, what you read is invisible.

Comment

Table too far to the front?
      Missed that one on your checklist...
      So it goes.

Comment

It sounds to me like you need to crank the table the opposite direction that you cranked it to get it in the position that it is in right now.

I believe I had the same problem before and that is all it was.

Another thing the half bubble is only a starting point you may half to go one way or the other. Its been awhile since I have had to make those adjustments so I can't tell you for sure what way. I think it is just when the whole bubble falls towards the rear of the machine. Is where I normally adjust them at.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin:
          It sounds to me like you need to crank the table the opposite direction that you cranked it to get it in the position that it is in right now.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">can you elaborate a bit on that score?
          The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

Originally posted by bent wrench:
            Not to sound obvious but, is the stop bolt out too far? is the spherical bearing in the lower part of the leg in good shape? if no adjustment is obtainable, grind down stop bolt till there is.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">more details please. Assume I know nothing. (safe assumption)

Comment

Originally posted by Lampie:
              Table too far to the front?
              Missed that one on your checklist...
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Check. Table cool.

Comment

Originally posted by *70*PinMonkey:
                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by kevin:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">can you elaborate a bit on that score? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think whats he's trying to say is. Are you sure you didnt crank the table down back-wards.
                Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

Also did you slide back the Collar before you did the 1/2 bubble ? I'm sure you did, But just checking.
                  Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

Stahl's method: Crank table down with spot latch engaged with pins in cups until bottom of pins are 5/16" from pin deck. Back off stop bolt until good air gap or more. Combination square reads LEVEL by turning spot rod. Screw stop bolt back down until bolt touches stop and tighten. Cross level then go back and re-check level so the bubble in still in the center or plumb. If it is off, make sure there is no stress on stabilizer rods and table is level, than re-adjust from square one. Maybe I explained assbackwards. Does anyone have have comments on this method?
                    Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Brunsamf, thats exactly the method I learned at Stahls. The biggest thing with using that method is to make sure it reads a level bubble on both sides of the head pin shaft.

Wang

Comment

Holy crap, im more confused than ever.

Kenny, go on with the wrong direction of cranking motor. Tell me why one direction matters over another. Seriously, im all ears. Thanks guys, even those of you that are insane. Keep it coming.

Comment

Also, Wang and Bruns, turning the spotting rod with a bubble/level on that shaft (yes, with collar removed ) doesnt change level of bubble. It rotates the pins, yes, but doesnt change the pitch. Does that make sense?

Comment

150 degrees is not the same as 210 degrees...
                            So it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by *70*PinMonkey:
                              Holy crap, im more confused than ever.

Kenny, go on with the wrong direction of cranking motor. Tell me why one direction matters over another. Seriously, im all ears. Thanks guys, even those of you that are insane. Keep it coming.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pinmonkey what old school is trying to tell you is that if you crank the table down the wrong way and get to the position that you want for the adjustment you are actually on the upward stroke of the table instead of the down stroke. Try this; run the table about 3/4 down with the motor and then continue to crank with the crank. Unlike the STONE'S, think this will give you satisfaction. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X