Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip cable

I know this will start trouble but, I installed a new cable to replace a rod and it seems that the cable is stretching. Is this normal? Or are my adjustments so bad that they keep changing. I don't know but I think I am going back to the rod.
    Well we're safe for now. Thank God we're in a Bowling Center.

Re: Trip cable

Trip cables are good for quick adj..
    make sure your jam nuts are tight

I like the rods because I think they help
    bring the trip rod back down where the cable goes slack

but both systems work well I think its what ever you prefer

Comment

I use cables and don't have any problems with them. Did you get it from a cheaper supplier? I get 95% of my parts from AMF and never have problems, but when I try another company I have had problems.

Mike
      Mike

Comment

In one house I changed all my to cable years ago and have never had a problem, while in another I choose to keep the rod. I have never had a problem with either. Make sure they are adjusted properly, tighten jam nuts and let them do their job!
        Jerry
        Jerry Smith
        NorthWest BowlTech

Comment

The cable was not in a package but a single cable is on the wall. The one on the wall has gold carb linkage ends with a square crimp on the cable and looks like Qualitity but not sure as it has a warehouse tag only. And the one I used has steel colored ends with a hex crimp on the cable.There are a lot of Vantage parts from the previous mechanic and some are good but with others I prefer AMF or Stahls.
          Well we're safe for now. Thank God we're in a Bowling Center.

Comment

I'm probably stating something you already know...but...

When you adjust them, are you taking one end off first (i.e. disconnecting the carby-link)?

Or are you just loosening the nuts and twisting the end? If you do that, it will twist back (unless you're confident you are tightening the nuts enough - and I myself would not be).

Cheers,
            Andrew.

Comment

Trip rods are better than cables.

The rods force the trip rod back down.

Comment

Cables dont bend. Not sure how they got bent but one of the first things we did here was replace them with the cables and havnt had any problems.

Comment

All cables here…no problems and they don’t come out of adjustment. If the trip rod does not return completely under its own weight then there is a bind…. Either the front “L” is bent (on the trip rod) or someone over bent the rear bracket trying to line up the stops.

Triac

Comment

King,

Isn't it the spring (070-006-035) that makes the trip the trip rod back down?
                    Maybe the weight of the rod will increase the force down but this mean that there is also more force needed to lift the rod up. This means the trip fingers must be pushed down with more force to lift the trip rod up. (Law of conservation of energy). This extra force to push the fingers down may lead to stalling pins.
                    Don't know if the rod distributors need a weaker spring to let the pins slide over the trip fingers without stalling, but a weaker spring will decrease the force to push the trip rod down so the final benefits are zero.

Comment

The trip rod's movement is horizontal (if anything, it lowers slightly when fully actuated), so it can't be pushing the trip stop rod down by gravity. So how does it force the trip stop rod back down? Unless you have a mod involving springs on the trip arms or something...?

The spring on the trip rocket arm shaft plus the weight of the trip stop rod is seemingly the only things pushing the trip stop rod back down, and I believe that they are quite sufficient for the task (assuming nothing is binding).

I don't have a personal preference. Our last head tech replaced all the rods with cables. His reason was because rods bend. Now I haven't seen that many bent trip rods, but much fewer bent cables [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] .

Andrew.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                      1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                      First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                      our technician is working full time on another...
                      Working...
                      X