Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease Fitting on the Pinion Gear?

What do you guys think about putting a grease fitting on the pinion gear? I know a "mechanic" who just installed them across the house. Problems with grease and bronze?

Re: Grease Fitting on the Pinion Gear?

Are you talking about the clutch pinion. If so, I would not do it. The grease will heat up and liquify gettting all over the friction disk.
    SGT
    U.S. Army/AVN
    Retired

Comment

USE 715-010-205 GREASE FOR PINON. Holds up a lot better then grease. it is a lube.

Comment

We use special grease, but wouldn't put a nipple on the pinion. When it comes time for greasing, the clutch gets pulled apart and overhauled.

Comment

One thing that helps the pinion is to drill out the oil hole a little larger before you install it.
          This way you can get an extra drop of oil in the pinion.
          "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
          Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Use enviro bushings,they dont require any lubrication.

Ed Fox has them,they are sweet!

Comment

Amen to using Enviro bushings in the pinion gear. I've had some in for FIVE years now and they are still running great. I also use a Enviro bushing split stop blade on all my dist. too. Sometimes you have to beef up the blade, but it's well worth it. With Enviros in the pinion and the stop blade no lubrication and NO MAINTENANCE at all. Some machines running 5 years without pulling a clutch apart. Well worth what they cost.

AMF DOCTOR
              The doctor makes house calls.
              AMF DOCTOR
              The doctor makes house calls.
              http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

Comment

We use enviro's, but I still add some lite oil to them (old school i guess, I like as little friction in my pinion/sleeve as possible.)

Greese is a bad idea. Greese + brass bushings = glue. They are called oillite bushings becuse they need a very light (straight 10 is what I prefer) oil. You greese them up, they will seeze over time.

Comment

Perhaps I was taught badly, but we've always used grease, not oil inside the pinion. I can see your point that oil is appropriate for a brass/oilite bushing, though, and I recall that the manual specifies oil (and generally I don't like to argue with a manual). But four head techs have done it that way, and four head techs trumps a manual (unless jacks are high or something [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] ).

I assume the reason grease is seen to be bad is that it would 'melt' under the heat and leak away (and no more lubricant = seizure).

We use high-temp bearing grease (HTB), but not sure what exact type. I'll check tomorrow.

The upshot is that it doesn't seem to melt and escape. Also, even if the grease did melt, would it not then be bascially the same as oil anyway? Doesn't the oil leak away?

How often should you re-oil the pinion? We overhaul each clutch perhaps once a year.

Andrew.

Comment

Original oil hole is not used. A new one is drilled and a fitting was inserted. He did this across 80 lanes. No special grease is being used either. He is using regular bearing grease. Does'nt it seem like alot of work to install, and to keep up with because of the constant greasing. Why not just install an envirobushing instead?

Comment

Originally posted by JimDorsin:
                      We use enviro's, but I still add some lite oil to them (old school i guess, I like as little friction in my pinion/sleeve as possible.)

Greese is a bad idea. Greese + brass bushings = glue. They are called oillite bushings becuse they need a very light (straight 10 is what I prefer) oil. You greese them up, they will seeze over time.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agree 100% and not just because he's my friend either. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

I still use the brass bushings and they will never see grease as a matter of fact not too much of anything on my machines sees greese...I like to use light oil instead of grease, over time grease just becomes a big glob of a mess.
                      Lifes to short to stress on little things.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew:
                        Perhaps I was taught badly, but we've always used grease, not oil inside the pinion. I can see your point that oil is appropriate for a brass/oilite bushing, though, and I recall that the manual specifies oil (and generally I don't like to argue with a manual). But four head techs have done it that way, and four head techs trumps a manual (unless jacks are high or something [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] ).

Andrew.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Or it's a Tuesday....(I heard there were trekkies out there) any Futurama groupies? Star Trek Wars and the Star Wars Trek?
                        Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

I too am an enviro man. however, i dont care for the enviro stop blades, too each their own. and i agree with Jim Dorsin, grease in pinions just turns into glue. before enivro's i was a drop of 10W-30 right on the pinion flange kinda guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer:
                            I too am an enviro man. however, i dont care for the enviro stop blades, too each their own. and i agree with Jim Dorsin, grease in pinions just turns into glue. before enivro's i was a drop of 10W-30 right on the pinion flange kinda guy.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am with ya on the stop blades brother!!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                            1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                            First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                            our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                            Working...
                            X