Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy use

Local power company is offering financial kickbacks to business that reduce there power consumption. We have been supplied a worksheet to calculate the power consumption of any currently used motors, and figure if we could conserve power by upgrading to more energy efficant motors. The boss man asked me to find out what the difference may be between 70's (GE and West) motors, and what would be used if we upgraded to 90's and utilised the newer motors with the 220 power. I have no idea how to do this. I left a message with AMF, but was hoping someone out there had this information handy. Any input would be appriciated.

Re: Energy use

I'm just having an educated guess here because I haven't actually measured the current draw on any of the newer motors, but my guess is that they're not going to be too much different. That's mostly because the loads on them from sweep, table, pit are going to be the same.

What will save you power though is shutting down the continuous-running motors (backend and ball return) when the bowlers are slow.

The type of motors we use on bowling machines typically draw about 2 to 3 times running current when starting (let's say 3 for the purposes of this exercise). So, if you turn it off for 3 seconds and then start it again, the motor will draw the same amount of power as if it had been running for the whole 4 seconds (or thereabouts).

But if the motor is off for any more than 3 seconds, you are saving money on power.

That's not the whole story of course - there is more mechanical wear and tear on the belts and bearings etc by turning a backend or ball return on and off frequently.

But somewhere in there will be a sweet spot, where using a device to turn the backend and ball return off when bowling is slow (squads changing lanes, social bowlers having a coffee break, unscheduled league meeting etc, etc) will save significant power.

Ray
    Ray Jordan
    Cybernetic Solutions/tenpintec
    Australia

Comment

I didnt think there would be a major difference either. Then there is the fact that a conversion cost about $25,000 (as I recall) per lane, at 24 lanes...thats about $600,000. not sure any power company insentive would quite cover that....lol

My only problem with the pit shut off is that is reqularly throws pinchasers for a loop. And, considering the turn around here....lol not sure if the savings is worth the headache.

thank for the responce.

Paul

Comment

Paul the conversion is closer to $8,000 per pair I can get you exact energy diff tommorow when I get to work.Im not exacly sure on the energy savings but those motors run a lot cooler.

Comment

Paul,
          Get a count of the standard ballast lights in the back end. I think they'll end up just going to a more energy efficient ballast and lamp.
          IMO, you'd only have a savings with an AMF machine if you could go to 3 phase. They are more energy effieient than a single phase - regardless of voltage. (and easier to reverse as well - IE sweep reverse).
          It wouldn't be that hard to have 90's run on 3 phase. You could have one of the phases wired hot to the motors, and just switch the other 2 phases with existing circuitry. The problem would getting motors with the same gear/speed parameters. There are lots of 3 phase brake motors available.
          This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

thank you both.... I was kinda thinking bout the XLI's, but not sure the actual cost...just repeating what I heard.

as for the lighting...that is what started this whole thing...the app was primarily for lighting, but had motors on it, so boss man got a spark, and had me look into it...lol

thanks again

Comment

Jim,

Walt Powers at AMF is the man to get a hold of. I think he would know the answer to your question.

Good luck at let us know what you find out,

Fever
              I really enjoy the Simpsons. My problem is that I am starting to look like Homer. Doh!!!

Comment

Jim, what you want is exactly the thing that I have installed on my 70's! Ted was 100 % right about saving power with 3 phase motors. Wiring them to your existing chassis is a bit more complicated than adding a few wires though. My new motors are a 1 to 1 replacement for the existing motors. Same shaft, same mounting holes, same revs, etc., but they have a 3 phase motor and a very clever control unit. The good thing is that you can remove half of the wiring out of the channel and C1 plug, including the startcapacitors and breakresistors. My motors are fully electronically controlled. No contacts, carbon brushes, klixons or any other servicable parts needed for starting, breaking or protecting the motors. You apply constant power to the control unit on the motor and start it with a low voltage on/off signal. The same signal on a different input will make it run in reverse. This technology really is a big step forward in making your equipment powersaving, moneysaving and easier to service. You don't even need to change your power lines to 3 phase, 230 Volts on whatever. This little box on the motor makes 3 phase power for the motor out of the 115 or 230 Volts single phase powerline. I'm getting new chassis as well. They also use less power compared to the old solid states or MP's. They will turn off the backend motor when the lane is not in use. There will be NO EXTRA WEAR AND TEAR ON BELTS AND BEARINGS. They actually reduce the mechanical strain on the whole pinspotter, because the control unit on these new motors have a softstart and softstop function and there are no startswitches to worry about. I am monitoring the power consumption since I have these motors installed. I think that in combination with these new chassis, it will save me between 30 - 40%!! Total cost of motors and chassis will be a little bit more than the XLI upgrade. Doesn't bother me though, because my investment pays itself back in the coming few years and will make money for me ever after!!!
                If a machine doesn't want to be fixed, it will let you know. Over and over again!

Comment

Originally posted by SVLFever:
                  Walt Powers
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL - He has the right name for this topic. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

His middle name is not 'Les(s)' is it?? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                    If a machine doesn't want to be fixed, it will let you know. Over and over again!

Comment

Thanks Mega. On more careful consideration, I have realised that no power company will kick in enough $$ to make the project feasable for the motors. The lights are a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by SVLFever:
                        Walt Powers
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL - He has the right name for this topic. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good point Andrew! I missed that. He has been AMF's capital equipment guy for a long, long time.

Fever
                        I really enjoy the Simpsons. My problem is that I am starting to look like Homer. Doh!!!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                        our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                        Working...
                        X