Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found some plows

Found some plows in storage a bit of rust on the outside. What would be the best way to clean them up ? Paint?

Thanx

Re: Found some plows

Depends on what you consider "a bit" of rust. Last ones I was told had 'a bit' of rust on them looked like they were folded out of 120-grit sandpaper, not steel. I took them to a friend's metalshop and glass blasted them.

If it's fairly light rust (bright metal still showing through), some sandpaper, scotch-brite, and elbow grease will do just fine. If they're going back into storage and you want to leave them bare, wipe them down with a skin of plain motor oil, put each one in a garbage bag, and tie the bag shut. It'll help prevent re-rusting.

You can also use a light coat of clear spray paint or lacquer... just don't use a colored paint or it may scuff off and mark up the pins when it's put in a machine.

If they're more heavily rusted, an orbital power sander or sandblasting with fine white sand cleans them up nicely.
    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Wire brush and no paint,,,,,,
      If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

sandblasting..............I like that when available, lol
        If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

any for sale? I need 2 smalls (1 each side) not that the new price is bad, but it is for the 30 hour a week part time gig...lol

Comment

Originally posted by JimDorsin:
            any for sale? I need 2 smalls (1 each side) not that the new price is bad, but it is for the 30 hour a week part time gig...lol
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't have any for sale. I'm hoping to use them myself. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

As far as getting the rust off I have done so by light sanding. Now with one installed it is much brighter than anything else. Bowlers keep a whinning about something stuck in the machine. :p Tips for knocking down the shine?

Comment

Jim Dorsin Pin spotter parts out of Tulia TX sell used parts 50 cents on the dollar. call Darrel Tuker at 1 806 995 4018. I have a few spares but they have been welded. I like to weld them when they crack and reinstale on the same machine. they tend to fit easier then gettting a differnt one to . since welding them does warp them alittle. Akuma; I have used navel jelly when I worked one a house that didn't care if a roof leak was on a machine only if it was around the approach. But anyhow you can find it at any auto supply house. You paint it on and after a while wipe it off, works good. and it may not give the shine of bare metal. To take the shine off spill a beer on it and it will rust up in no time. kidding of course, After time it will dull some but if the bowlers can't let it go other then getting it dirty you can get gun smith blueing agent and " Stian "it blue, the procedure is called blueing. The beer idea sounds better than ever! Later Chief

Comment

Thanks Chief...I have done biz with Darrel b4, just lost the #.... I do weld the big ones, as there are much cash each, but the smalls arent that bad....Yes, they rarly fit right...lol

Comment

Navel jelly is great, but just before rinsing, rub it in with a scothbrite pad, and continue as you rinse. It should leave a matte finish.
                  Or even better...Go to an auto store that sells body shop supplies and get some metal prep solution (hydrachloric acid). Apply, light scrub, rinse.
                  OR..., from your regular auto parts store (Murrey, Auto zone, etc), get a spray bottle of aluminum wheel cleaner, the kind you spray on, wait a few minutes, and rinse off. The brand I've found locally is "Mother's". Make sure it's the version that has hydroflouric acid.

Comment

I'd never paint anything on them - Clear or otherwise. Just my nickels worth. I would weld them in the back though.
                    This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                    Working...
                    X