TOTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Pillow Block

I was visiting a nearby center recently and saw they had a new style of pillow block bearings for the sweep and table torque tubes. They were different from the OEM sheet metal types that like to break...they were sort of a casting type which did not have the two strap setup like the OEM. Are these a Stahls Seventys deal or what? Does anyone know if there is a Grainger setup like this that would work? It's time for me to order some pillow block assy's, but would like to get hold of those cast jobbies as they look much more durable that the two-strap style that likes to break at the worst possible time. Thanks guys.
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Re: Alternate Pillow Block

Originally posted by Kat:
    I was visiting a nearby center recently and saw they had a new style of pillow block bearings for the sweep and table torque tubes. They were different from the OEM sheet metal types that like to break...they were sort of a casting type which did not have the two strap setup like the OEM. Are these a Stahls Seventys deal or what? Does anyone know if there is a Grainger setup like this that would work? It's time for me to order some pillow block assy's, but would like to get hold of those cast jobbies as they look much more durable that the two-strap style that likes to break at the worst possible time. Thanks guys.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kat, I think I know what you are talking about. Those casting type pilow blocks are really old. We have a center near here with the same ones. I dont believe you can get those types anymore.

Comment

The early 70's had cast iron pillow blocks, they were not self centering and were expensive.

They were replaced by the strap type.
      Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
      804-240-4982

Comment

John and Clutch,

Thanks for the insight. These pillow blocks actually look brand new whihch was why I brought up the Grainger thing. I looked thru the catalog and saw some of the cast types that had self-centering bearings. Wonder if this would work???

--Kat

Comment

I have only seen 2 or 3 strap style pillow blocks break in 20+ years.

Comment

I've had to replace 3 in the 26 years I've been working on 70's. Inspect &amp; grease them regular, They'll last forever.
            Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

King, if you stay working on the 30's you will see more break. I seen more than 3 break on the 30's in the 11 years I worked on them.

Frank.
              always doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by 82/30 king:
                I have only seen 2 or 3 strap style pillow blocks break in 20+ years.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jerry, Willey is right. The side that has the table gear train will break. When this happens the table will not spot pins. Reason: The sag
                puts too much pressure on the spot solenoid lever and it will bind and not operate.

Comment

Maybe You have seen a '90s table torque
                  see difference below

Comment

Partnumber:

No, it definitely wasn't a 90s style as I have several of those throughout the house.

--Kat

Comment

I think these may be Stahls. I bought two of them about a year or so ago. I have not yet used them. I will check, I think they are cast alum.
                      Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

That is a stahls pillow block.

Wang

Comment

That's it. Thanks for the pic Wang.

--Kat

Comment

The reason the straps break on a 30 is because of machines running out of time and the sweep and table getting jammed. All this interaction is transferred to the TGT side through the spotting rod. Have never seen one break on the R.H. side of a 30's table.

A 70 or 90 seems to be a different story. With pressure being applied equal to both sides because of table and shuttle jams and tables banging off the pindeck looks like both pillow blocks are fair game.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Ball Returns Shorted Out?

Ok, I just had one of my company's centers in Florida reach out for help with this issue, and I wasn't able to help them over our chat, so I'm hoping you guys can help shed some...

Trip rocker arm

What causes the trip rocker arm to not line up with the trip rod? Carriage tubing is not bent and all eccentrics are brand new.
                            I understand I can bend the rocker arm a...

Lower ball cushion board

Just wondering if this is the normal way that these boards go over time? Am i missing something?
                            Pit curtains are in "reasonable" condition if that means anything...

Backend motor plug

What is the name of the power plug and socket on the back-end motor?

Some of ours are breaking from impacts from repeated pile-ups and need to be replaced....

82/70 combi motors

Hi guys, got a few of these Lewus solid state start switches and wondering if we could make use of them on our combi motors. I've seen they aren't recommended for combi motors...

Deck lowering hook cam follower lever

I have a machine that has broken the cam follower arm for the deck lowering hook on the 2 to 1 twice in a couple weeks. I've overnighted the part so i can change it tomorrow....
                            Working...
                            X