Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep shock comming apart, often

I have a lane that I installed a couple of years ago. What is happening is the sweep shock is twisting off the rod end and continually falling off. I have never seen this what could be causing this to happen all the time. What is putting torque in this sleeve?

I am going up there later to put lock tight on the rod end. I would like to put a jam nut does anyone have a size they use? I am just curious as to why this is happening. I feel like I left something out of line or something causing this. I have seen many of these loose but I have never seen one twist off. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/burningmad.gif[/img] Do you guys put a jam nut on the rod end?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Pat

Re: Sweep shock comming apart, often

What I do is tighten the tube weldment into the rod end until it is tight. Then I adjust sweep guard height by tightning or loosening threaded link(070-003-223).

Comment

At first I was trying to figure out how the shock mount could come loose. Then I realized you were referring to the telescopic rod.

I clamp the rod in the vise with 2 pieces of wood in-between the jaws and rod to protect it from damage of the vise jaws. Then I run the rod end as tight as possible before the rod spins in the vise. Never had one come loose doing it this way.

I wouldn’t recommend using a jam nut, as it will make your overall adjustments very difficult. I have a couple of machines that I had to use an extra washer to get the sweep high enough at the 5 spot because the crack pipe mount on the machine was bottomed out.

A mild lock-tite (blue thread locker) probably wouldn’t hurt either, but I don’t use it.

Triac

Comment

I have come across this a couple of times before I found replacing the rodend or the tube worked well for me.

Comment

Basically the answer is been Said, Tighten the Ends together, Then redo your Alignments...

In my experience they start coming undo when you have a bent Rod or Sleeve or your link thread isn’t adjusted correct, I would Check to Make sure both are Okay, clean them both grease the rod end and place some 3n1 oil on the rod for easier movement in and out of the Sleeve, add washer as need to get you 1/4" height at the 4, 5, 6 line

Comment

Got it taken care of. Thanks for the help. I tightened and the sweep is in better allignment. Thanks for the help guys.

Pat

Comment

Interesting, I've never had one come completely out. I have had them start to unscrew as said I just tighten em up and readjust sweep height, or on occasion I've had them loosen up messing up the height adjustment and tightening it all back up put it where it should be... Interesting thread to read none the less
              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Rep: I have never had this problem before either. In my old age when I see something new I try to look into it before I tear something apart. Part of the reason I like this site!

Old age or laziness??

Comment

I've seen this before. Simple to fix.

Back the rod end almost but not completely out of the tube, use a hammer and punch and ping a few threads. Then adjust it to where you need it. This will tighten them up in the threadway.
                  Dr. James Bandy,D.D. HCLS
                  <a href="http://bowlingpin.cjb.net/Techs/aboutme.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://bowlingpin.cjb.net/Techs/aboutme.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://bowlingpin.cjb.net/Techs/aboutme.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://bowlingpin.cjb.net/Techs/aboutme.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://bowlingpin.cjb.net/Techs/aboutme.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://bowlingpin.cjb.net/Techs/aboutme.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://bowlingpin.cjb.net/Techs/aboutme.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://bowlingpin.cjb.net/Techs/aboutme.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://bowlingpin.cjb.net/Techs/aboutme.htm" target="_blank">http://bowlingpin.cjb.net/Techs/aboutme.htm</a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a>

Comment

Originally posted by pat:
                    Rep: I have never had this problem before either. In my old age when I see something new I try to look into it before I tear something apart. Part of the reason I like this site!

Old age or laziness??
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's interesting, I never saw it til about a year ago. Then all of a sudden I had about 3 of them loosen up within about a month. April will be 8 years for me in the business so the typical stuff I'm quite used to, but I enjoy the interesting out of the normal stuff keeps ya thinking, and believe me, without this site I'd probably still be scratching my head about quite a few things. The knowledge I've gained from this site is really undescribable, I don't think I'd be 1/2 of what I am without my BT [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                    All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Interesting topic!

I've never seen this yet. Coming up on 6 years in the pits for me, but now saying that, it's bound to creep up next week. As per usual! I always find that. A topic on bowltech comes up, and very soon after, it happens in the centre!
                      It's uncanny.
                      I tell you, you just can't script it. Me and my brother have the same parents!!
                      Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

Putting a jam nut on the telescoping rod / tube can be a benefit, in addition to keeping the tube tight and rod end connection tight it eliminates the need for washers on the rod to obtain a good 4-5-6 adj on some machines.

I usually just tighten the tube down on the rod end with vise grips, yea it scratches the tube body (bad bad mechanic), sometimes time is of the essence, I wish there were flats on the tube for a wrench.

Locktite is s good fix too but I have seen that loosen up as well.

Locknuts were used at the factory on some of the early 82-90's, had to do with the frame tube resizing
                        Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
                        804-240-4982

Comment

We had that trouble with the 90's we installed out of Korea and we just put a drop of red loctite on it. Solved our problems.

Comment

John,
                            Drill a 1/4" hole thru the tube so you can insert a small pin to tighten the tube.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                            1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                            First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                            our technician is working full time on another...
                            Working...
                            X